Stolen Valor, too many get by with it.

LBJ was pretty much a media nerd during WW2. Somehow he managed to get himself recommended for a Silver Star for being a passenger in a plane that flew over hostile territory.

According to everything I have found, he did complete it.

And a lot more go through and finish the school than work in Ranger units. It is not unusual seeing people in the MPs, Air Defense, and all kinds of units that have Ranger tabs, but never served a day in a Ranger unit. Just as you will see a great many with Airborne or Air Assault wings that never served in one of those units.

Hell, before it was removed I was qualified to wear the "Jungle Expert" tab on my uniform if I had been in the Army at the time. Yet, I never served in a "Jungle Warfare" unit.

And hell, you will have many that are "tabbed" with one of those kinds of units, but never went through the school. Somebody who never finished Ranger school yet serves in a Ranger unit still gets to wear the scroll. The same with somebody who serves in one of the "Airborne" units, but is not jump qualified.

But fine, care to give us a verifiable and vetteable reference to show that he did indeed quit? Because even the Rolling Stone article on it admits he took and completed the Army Ranger Course. And passing that is all that is needed to call oneself a "Ranger". Just as passing the Airborne School is enough to call oneself "Airborne". Does not matter if they ever serve in an actual airborne unit.

And schools like that are almost "given" away all the time in the Army. Be the "Soldier of the Quarter" or "Year", and you are pretty much guaranteed such a school. We had a lot of guys and gals in my PATRIOT unit that were "Air Assault", primarily because they were SOQ or SOTY, and we actually had a school for that right on our base. And I knew others that went to Benning for a month or so, then returned with jump wings.

In my medical unit when I retired out MP had a Ranger Tab. But not a scroll, he never served in a Ranger unit. He was Infantry, did the school and returned to his Airborne unit, then after he was injured he moved to the Reserves and was trained as an MP. But he was still authorized to wear his Ranger tab, and his multiple badges (Airborne, Air Assault, and CIB).
OK, thanks for all that but going to Ranger school doesn't make you a Ranger. He was never an active duty Ranger.

OK, thanks for all that but going to Ranger school doesn't make you a Ranger. He was never an active duty Ranger.

And once again, that is not needed. Completing the school makes one a "Ranger".

It does not matter what you believe, that is the fact.

And if that was true, then about 95% of those in the military would need to be stripping a lot of stuff off their uniforms. Because you will rarely see a Senior Officer that does not have multiple tabs and badges like that. And they also never served in such a unit.

Oh, and finishing Ranger School is not easy. It has the second highest washout rate of all non-MOS Army schools. only 40% manage to graduate it. The only one worse is Special Forces which in the end only graduates about 25% of those who try.

John Kerry was the commanding officer of a "Swift boat". He had the sole authority to recommend his crew or himself for awards and his recommendations would most likely be approved.

And once again, that is not needed. Completing the school makes one a "Ranger".

It does not matter what you believe, that is the fact.

And if that was true, then about 95% of those in the military would need to be stripping a lot of stuff off their uniforms. Because you will rarely see a Senior Officer that does not have multiple tabs and badges like that. And they also never served in such a unit.

Oh, and finishing Ranger School is not easy. It has the second highest washout rate of all non-MOS Army schools. only 40% manage to graduate it. The only one worse is Special Forces which in the end only graduates about 25% of those who try.
You wingnuts lie your asses off and think no one is going to counter your bullshit. BUSTED!

Cotton served in the Army for eight years with two tours of duty in war-zones. His military personnel records list eight medals and his “Ranger tab” from attending the U.S. Army Ranger Course. But Sollenberger found interviews and campaign materials where Cotton portrayed himself as an Army Ranger, an honor he never earned.

My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition,” Cotton said in a 2012 interview with the Hot Springs Sentinel-Record. And in another interview, Cotton claimed that he “became an infantry officer and an Army Ranger.”

But the Army’s own website makes clear the distinction between joining the 75th Ranger Regiment and taking the U.S. Army Ranger Course. “People often confuse the 75th Ranger Regiment with the U.S. Army Ranger Course,” the regiment’s public affairs office wrote. But to join the Ranger regiment, members of the Army have to pass the “Ranger Assessment Selection Program [RASP] 1, 2, or both.” Cotton did not.

You wingnuts lie your asses off and think no one is going to counter your bullshit. BUSTED!

You claimed he did not finish the school.

Now show me the proof that he did not finish the school. The Rolling Stone article does not say that anywhere.

Reading comprehension, I suggest you learn what it means.

But anybody that completes the Army Ranger Course is entitled to call themselves a "Ranger", and wear the tab stating so on their uniform. You are confusing two very different things.

You claimed he did not finish the school.

Now show me the proof that he did not finish the school. The Rolling Stone article does not say that anywhere.

Reading comprehension, I suggest you learn what it means.

But anybody that completes the Army Ranger Course is entitled to call themselves a "Ranger", and wear the tab stating so on their uniform. You are confusing two very different things.
I said that his claim of being a Ranger is false, therefore Stolen Valor. I then debunked your bullshit double-talk about Ranger school.

And you conveniently didn't comment on this blatant lie:

My experience as a U.S. Army Ranger in Iraq and Afghanistan and my experience in business will put me in very good condition,”

I said that his claim of being a Ranger is false, therefore Stolen Valor. I then debunked your bullshit double-talk about Ranger school.

No, you did not. But I see you just can't resist being a pigeon.

And you know, I am still waiting for the proof that he did not finish the course.

And tell me, in your experience why is somebody who is only tabbed not entitled to an address? Is somebody who went to Jump School but serves in a Leg Unit not entitled to be called "Airborne"? And by the same token, is somebody who serves in an Airborne unit yet not been to Jump School not entitled to it?

You see, this is the real difference here. I speak from first hand experience, you are talking our your arse for political purposes. And I could not give a damn about your political nonsense.

You claim you "debunk" me, but can not even prove your claim that he did not finish the school.

Just go away, your insane politically based rants are just as stupid as those Political Chic spouts endlessly. No basis in reality, only in your own political obsessions.

Somehow he managed to get himself recommended for a Silver Star for being a passenger in a plane that flew over hostile territory.

He was an observer on a B-26 that was attacking New Guinea.

And General Mac himself put him in for the award. Plus many believe that was more an attempt by MacArthur to curry favor with a member of the US House of Representatives than anything else. Lieutenant Commander Johnson did not report to Mac, he was out there on a fact finding mission for the President and Secretary of the Navy.

In fact, after that he was appointed as the Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee. And was largely the House version of Senator Truman's "Truman Committee".

Maybe it's a minor issue but the Marines are proud to call every member of the Corps "a rifleman" and everyone including officers and enlisted are required to qualify with their issued weapon every year. Older ranking Marine officers have to have eyesight issues like everyone else but their uniforms always show without exception expert marksmanship badges and they probably haven't seen a qualification range in ten years or more. Maybe it's a slight error of ethics but it might indicate other errors in judgement.

He was an observer on a B-26 that was attacking New Guinea.

And General Mac himself put him in for the award. Plus many believe that was more an attempt by MacArthur to curry favor with a member of the US House of Representatives than anything else. Lieutenant Commander Johnson did not report to Mac, he was out there on a fact finding mission for the President and Secretary of the Navy.

In fact, after that he was appointed as the Chairman of the Naval Affairs Committee. And was largely the House version of Senator Truman's "Truman Committee".
MacArthur was awarded the Medal of Honor in the shortest commendation in the book. The combat stuff amounts to shaking a fist at marauding Japanese zeroes after he lost his entire command.

MacArthur was awarded the Medal of Honor in the shortest commendation in the book. The combat stuff amounts to shaking a fist at marauding Japanese zeroes after he lost his entire command.

Actually, there I think you are confusing the father with the son.

Here is Arthur MacArthur's citation:

Seized the colors of his regiment at a critical moment and planted them on the captured works on the crest of Missionary Ridge.

And here is the son's:

For conspicuous leadership in preparing the Philippine Islands to resist conquest, for gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against invading Japanese forces, and for the heroic conduct of defensive and offensive operations on the Bataan Peninsula. He mobilized, trained, and led an army which has received world acclaim for its gallant defense against a tremendous superiority of enemy forces in men and arms. His utter disregard of personal danger under heavy fire and aerial bombardment, his calm judgment in each crisis, inspired his troops, galvanized the spirit of resistance of the Filipino people, and confirmed the faith of the American people in their Armed Forces.

In fact, there are a hell of a lot of really short citations. At the headquarters of the 4th Marine Regiment all of those awarded to the Regiment were on the wall. A hell of a lot of those prior to WWII were just a single sentence.

Please, try actually knowing what happened instead of just making things up.

Marine officers have to have eyesight issues like everyone else but their uniforms always show without exception expert marksmanship badges and they probably haven't seen a qualification range in ten years or more.

Nope, they go to the range just like everybody else. It is required.

I actually ran the rifle range on my last post as a Marine. And it was not unusual to see 3 and 4 star Generals qualifying. When the Corps says everybody, they mean everybody.

In fact, not all that long ago I remember seeing a press photo of some Marine General that was assuming a new command. And I laughed because he had a "Toilet Bowl", or the Marine Marksman award.

Actually, there I think you are confusing the father with the son.

Here is Arthur MacArthur's citation:

And here is the son's:

In fact, there are a hell of a lot of really short citations. At the headquarters of the 4th Marine Regiment all of those awarded to the Regiment were on the wall. A hell of a lot of those prior to WWII were just a single sentence.

Please, try actually knowing what happened instead of just making things up.

I ain't got a clue whether Arthur Mac Arthur was awarded the MOH but read Doug's citation again and think about what really happened. You don't award the MOH for raising and training an army and freaking losing it.

I ain't got a clue whether Arthur Mac Arthur was awarded the MOH but read Doug's citation again and think about what really happened. You don't award the MOH for raising and training an army and freaking losing it.

Actually, they are the only father and son to both be awarded the Medal. Sorry, but I thought everybody knew that.

And it does not matter what you may think, you stated it was the shortest and it was far from the shortest.

I am only correcting your wrong claim to a fact. I could not care less about your opinion, especially as it is completely wrong.

Oh, and he did not "raise and train" the army. He was only recalled from retirement in late July 1941, less than 5 months before war broke out. So once again, I have to refute your claim that he "raised and trained" the army. He had barely taken command when the war started. You can barely take a new recruit from civilian life through boot camp and their initial training in that amount of time.

Now granted, after he retired he was appointed as the "Field Marshal of the Philippines" in August 1936, just over 4 years before the war started. However, he did not command that Commonwealth of the Philippines Army, he was simply the senior advisor to the President, and that at the time was having to create an entire army from scratch as there was none before he took the position. They had not even started building training camps when he arrived, and had no personnel. And the first group of 20,000 was not even called up to start training until January 1937.

Most of the training was still done by US personnel, on US bases. By 1941, they still had few officers (around 5,000 for over 104,000 enlisted), and even less equipment. The artillery, tanks, and other equipment they had been promised had largely been sent to Europe, or was replacing older equipment of the US Army, so there was very little going to the Philippines.

And the very fact that it took Japan five months with huge advantages shows that he did do his job very well. The UA and Philippine forces were not defeated or "lost" through any lack of fighting ability. They were cut off from all supply in December, and fought for over 5 months until all of their food and ammunition was exhausted.

So tell me, should they have fought to the last man and died heroically in a final suicide charge rather than surrender? Or do you think the US failed them by not trying to force their way to the islands and give them the food and ammunition they needed? Because at every stage they fought until they could no longer maintain a position, then retreated in good order taking as much with them as they could and destroying what remained to deny it to the enemy.

Last edited:
Actually, they are the only father and son to both be awarded the Medal. Sorry, but I thought everybody knew that.

And it does not matter what you may think, you stated it was the shortest and it was far from the shortest.

I am only correcting your wrong claim to a fact. I could not care less about your opinion, especially as it is completely wrong.

Oh, and he did not "raise and train" the army. He was only recalled from retirement in late July 1941, less than 5 months before war broke out. So once again, I have to refute your claim that he "raised and trained" the army. He had barely taken command when the war started. You can barely take a new recruit from civilian life through boot camp and their initial training in that amount of time.

Now granted, after he retired he was appointed as the "Field Marshal of the Philippines" in August 1936, just over 4 years before the war started. However, he did not command that Commonwealth of the Philippines Army, he was simply the senior advisor to the President, and that at the time was having to create an entire army from scratch as there was none before he took the position. They had not even started building training camps when he arrived, and had no personnel. And the first group of 20,000 was not even called up to start training until January 1937.

Most of the training was still done by US personnel, on US bases. By 1941, they still had few officers (around 5,000 for over 104,000 enlisted), and even less equipment. The artillery, tanks, and other equipment they had been promised had largely been sent to Europe, or was replacing older equipment of the US Army, so there was very little going to the Philippines.

And the very fact that it took Japan five months with huge advantages shows that he did do his job very well. The UA and Philippine forces were not defeated or "lost" through any lack of fighting ability. They were cut off from all supply in December, and fought for over 5 months until all of their food and ammunition was exhausted.

So tell me, should they have fought to the last man and died heroically in a final suicide charge rather than surrender? Or do you think the US failed them by not trying to force their way to the islands and give them the food and ammunition they needed? Because at every stage they fought until they could no longer maintain a position, then retreated in good order taking as much with them as they could and destroying what remained to deny it to the enemy.
Actually Dugout Doug ordered General Wainwright to fight to the last man before he got on the PT boat and escaped. It doesn't matter anyway. There is nothing in the citation that justifies the MOH.

Forum List

Back