Still using XP, but there is a problem with it..

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011
That problem is Microsoft....Here is what happened.. You see I emptied out my computer and reloaded my XP OS system/ program that I have had for years in a slip sleeve that came with the computer. Once I loaded it, I went to the update microsoft website, and I updated the XP OS system to the latest service pack or to the most current version in which I had transpired to for free "Microsoft Explorer 8".

Now there is this prompt that keeps telling me that I need to authenticate/activate or register my OS system that is used. OK, so I tried doing just that, but when I entered the numbers, then it said it wasn't right. I even got these numbers off of the side of my computer in which the OS system was loaded on board. Also it was in a slip disk that had the numbers on the back of the paper slip in which the CD was in. This CD came with my computer, yet Micorsoft is saying that the number I am punching in isn't right ? I'm down to day 14 on the activation count down, so what will happen next if I can't register this OS system, even though I own it and paid for it when I purchased the computer for which I had to clear out due to it running super slow ?

If the activation thingy ends, and Microsoft makes my system stop, I am going to be one angry consumer camper. This stuff is most aggravating when someone is trying to make one pay double for something in which they have already purchased once upon a time.

I know, I know XP isn't supported anymore, but for no more than what I use the net for, it is ok for that purpose, and I have a great virus protection on board so I should be OK for now.

Anyone know just how I can contact these Microsoft people, and this so I can let them know that they are interferring with something that isn't their right too, and that this is my property in which they are trying to take control of or over, and this they are doing as if it belongs to them somehow ? :cuckoo:

Oh well XP is no more in my house, as Microsoft shut me down. I had to reload a Dell computer I had with the original Operating CD's purchased with it, and when I did it began some kind of count down to activate the product. I tried and tried to activate the old product I had, but it would not except the numbers I was giving them. I wondered if the XP and computer was so old that they didn't have it in their data base any longer. I even tried calling then to let them know that this was something I had purchased with my PC, so don't mess with it. Now the OS was working great until the countdown ended, then it shut me out of my own computer, and said that I would have to activate in order to let back in. How can I activate if they don't talk or work with me to find out what the situation is ? Now how can they shut me out of something I bought and paid for ? I can understand the support not given anymore (updates), but what about me using my product at my own risk or for no more than what I was using it for? Can Microsoft shut you down like this legally ? I finally called one last time the number that was given on the activation screen, but I couldn't get anyone real to talk to, so I called again and when it asked me what menu or number did I want to push I said "LAWSUIT".. LOL

Funny thing is, is that it then punched me through to a live person.. Well how about that ? Next I got know where because it was an Indian who did not understand the magnitude of what he was dealing with, so he quickly referred me to calling someone in my region. HUH? LOL

Oh well what a day this has been.. I give up...

I had one of my most pleasant customer service experiences ever recently with Microsoft. They were helpful, and even called back a few days later to see if everything was still running well. Try giving them a call.

My blood pressure went up just reading all that.
Sorry bout the blood pressure going up, because mine went off the chain dealing with these people. I am on my daughters computer writing now, as I have a Dell and an HP that is no longer any good to me because of XP. I can't even get back into windows on the Dell because it won't except the activation numbers, even the ones that were on the side of the computer. There is three disk that came with my Dell, and one was the OS disk for reloading, and this was if I had to reload for any reason. Well I did, and that's when that count down thing started. Now since the count ended I am locked out of my own computer. When I try and boot up windows, it says you must activate first. Crazy thing is, is that I tried to activate but it wouldn't let me no matter what I did. Sheesh!

I had one of my most pleasant customer service experiences ever recently with Microsoft. They were helpful, and even called back a few days later to see if everything was still running well. Try giving them a call.
I did, but undoubtedly the numbers I have don't work to well, because I got the robots first, then India next, and it blew these peoples mind what I was telling them. They didn't know what to say or do, so they then started this "we can't give out any information on XP, as XP has ended they told me. Yes the support ended but not the ability for me to continue to use my computer with XP until it busted I figured. Right ?

Do you have a good number where I can talk to someone about this ? Thanks for the help..

I did, but undoubtedly the numbers I have don't work to well, because I got the robots first, then India next, and it blew these peoples mind what I was telling them. They didn't know what to say or do, so they then started this "we can't give out any information on XP, as XP has ended they told me. Yes the support ended but not the ability for me to continue to use my computer with XP until it busted I figured. Right ?

Do you have a good number where I can talk to someone about this ? Thanks for the help..

No, sorry. I think I just followed the online links on microsoft.com

Forum List

Back