Still looking for the word for this sentiment: "vote for someone that looks like you"

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
I'm not sure that 'racism' is the right word for this.

State Rep. Elizabeth Coggs, the Milwaukee Democrat running in the August primary for state senator, urged a gathering of mostly black voters Saturday to "vote for someone that looks like you."

The remark by Coggs, who is African-American, evoked both cheers and shouts of protest from the audience and from some of the other primary candidates who were invited to speak at the Community Brainstorming Conference at St. Matthew CME Church.

"That's just wrong," shouted Mandela Barnes, who is also African-American and is running against incumbent Jason Fields in the 11th Assembly District primary. Fields also is black.

Rep. Sandy Pasch (D-Whitefish Bay) said Coggs' statement was aimed at her. Pasch, who is white, is running in Coggs' current 10th Assembly District; the three other candidates in that primary are all African-American.

Read more: Coggs' 'looks like you' quote starts debate - JSOnline

One specific definition of racism, from Merriam-Webster:

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race​

If your race has a history of being oppressed and treated as inferior, then wanting those of your race to gain more power and not lose what they have gained is different from the idea that one race is inherently superior to another. So the word "racism" might not apply.

Does American English have adequate terminology for such statements which would easily be categorized as racism if said by a white supremacist but which are more complicated when said by a member of a struggling minority group?

• Banned
I thought I made my ambivalence about the term clear.

I know that some think it applies. However, it's awkward at best to try to apply it to people who are trying to gain the kind of empowerment which other demographics take for granted.

I'm looking for less provocative and possibly more accurate terminology to describe what I consider unhelpful but not necessarily racist behavior and speech.

Last edited:
Okay, I've given this some thought and the word is "racism."

If the goal is to correct oppression, discrimination, unfair practices, missed opportunities, etc., then the mantra would be to vote for somebody who sees and will be committed to addressing that.

To attach a skin color to that somebody is racism however well intentioned it might be.

I have to agree. Asking people to award their votes on the basis of skin color rather than the "content of character" is racism.

IF <---big if there

one votes for someone who looks like themselves ONLY because they look like themselves, the word is racism.

Forum List

Back