Stevie Ray Vaughn Died 20 Years Ago Today Tribute Thread

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
One of the greatest guitar players ever died in a helicopter crash 20 years ago today. I remember where I was when I read the news. I was in my living room in on base housing at Kadena AB Okinawa. I was reading the Stars and Stripes, I turned the page and there was the story. It was like getting kicked in the stomach.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please post your thoughts about SRV as a man, guitar player and blues legend as well as favorite videos and tunes here.

My all time favorite SRV tune. I always dedicate this tune for my wife at karaoke night!

[youtube]-2b4GY5ctdc[/youtube]

Tightrope Live!

[youtube]yNuXO60G33w[/youtube]

I was returning from a mountain climbing trip at Mt. Shasta when our group heard the news on the radio. We all loved his music - and we spent the rest of the trip home listening to driver's various Stevie Ray CDs. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago...

Above and beyond his virtuosity, the two things that most impressed me about Stevie Ray Vaughn were his imagination and the size of his hands!

He never ran through a lick or rift unresolved. He never seemed to repeat a phrase or join one phrase inappropriately with another.

And those mitts of his just smothered the neck of his Stratocaster and seemed to be everywhere on the neck at once.

A sad day.

As a hack guitarist, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to cop his licks. Sometimes successfully but usually not.

Truly one of the greatest (if no the greatest) rock/blues guitar players of all time.

the best blues guitarist of all time that was white......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKVvypJc5s]YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire[/ame]

The only person who dared to play Hendrix licks...and not look like a fool.
In fact - in some ways he improved Hendrix's music by not wandering off on an imaginary celestial plane in the middle of a song.

Forum List

Back