The Cuyahoga River caught fire 50 years ago today.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
Fifty years ago today, on June 22, 1969, the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire.

At the time, the river was one of the most polluted in the US. Journalists filled glasses with pitch-black river water, while politicians dipped cloth into the waves that came up oil-soaked.

The river fire lasted roughly 20 minutes, but it sparked public outrage that in part led to the creation of the US Environmental Protection Agency, the federal office tasked with making sure "Americans have clean air, land, and water."

Take a look at what the Cuyahoga River — and other waters around the US — looked like before the EPA existed.

The Cuyahoga River caught fire 50 years ago today. These stomach-churning photos highlight why the EPA exists.
5d0d297be3ecba07641d2647-750-483.jpg

I distinctly recall the smell of pollution in the air growing up in Akron, about 20 miles from the river and the industrial corridor where all the rubber plants were ( before they moved south). They've really cleaned it up, thanks in large part to Nixon's EPA.

When I was living in the area at the time Bay Village's Huntington Beach was off-limits to swimming because of the pollution. Was nice to see the change that occurred when I returned to the area in 1980's and 90's to visit family.

Fifty years ago today, on June 22, 1969, the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland, Ohio caught fire.

At the time, the river was one of the most polluted in the US. Journalists filled glasses with pitch-black river water, while politicians dipped cloth into the waves that came up oil-soaked.

The river fire lasted roughly 20 minutes, but it sparked public outrage that in part led to the creation of the US Environmental Protection Agency, the federal office tasked with making sure "Americans have clean air, land, and water."

Take a look at what the Cuyahoga River — and other waters around the US — looked like before the EPA existed.

The Cuyahoga River caught fire 50 years ago today. These stomach-churning photos highlight why the EPA exists.
5d0d297be3ecba07641d2647-750-483.jpg

I distinctly recall the smell of pollution in the air growing up in Akron, about 20 miles from the river and the industrial corridor where all the rubber plants were ( before they moved south). They've really cleaned it up, thanks in large part to Nixon's EPA.

Omychrist, I hope no one was drinking that, purified or not.

I hate the way people use the planet as their dump. But somehow it should not be so expensive to dispose of your large items. When the local town dump (which was paid for in our taxes) closed and we had to start using a "Transfer Station" that cost $2 per bag, with large appliances charged by weight, people for quite awhile just tossed their old refrigerators and washing machines and decrepit snowmobiles into the ditches and left them. Until the wardens started tracing the stuff back and fining them more than it would cost in fees at the landfill. Now they just let all the stuff accumulate in their yards.
True story.

New Topics

Forum List

Back