State Department to demand tourists’ social media history

Extreme vetting: State Dept. to demand tourists’ social media history

i think we give social media way too much power and credit. i'd also like to think our vetting process has better ways to look at someones past than looking at their dinner choices on facebook.

what if they don't use social media? just seems a tad extreme to me but these are the times we live in.
I disagree; FB tends to fill in the blanks on every bad actor who goes off and then shoots himself in the head. They're going to be pretty darned busy, though, doing that for every tourist.

Extreme vetting: State Dept. to demand tourists’ social media history

i think we give social media way too much power and credit. i'd also like to think our vetting process has better ways to look at someones past than looking at their dinner choices on facebook.

what if they don't use social media? just seems a tad extreme to me but these are the times we live in.
I disagree; FB tends to fill in the blanks on every bad actor who goes off and then shoots himself in the head. They're going to be pretty darned busy, though, doing that for every tourist.
that's the counter part. but given the high TROLL factor on fb, determining what is real vs. fake will add to the time.

i'm glad we're doing something however. whether i agree or not is secondary to at least they're altering what they do in order to catch people ahead of time. but in a case of syria where we can't even get decent records on people bring in via the lottery and anything else that has come up, pretty doubtful they'd have a facebook profile or anything else.

guess if not there they just move on and dig elsewhere.

Forum List

Back