Starting seeds indoor - My method

Good timely info.

I usually get seedlings from a local grower and go from there but this is good to have, very detailed.

Yellow_Striped_Easter_Egg_PNG_Clipairt_Picture_zpsyee3xic2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It is odd. My mom said her mom used to start their tomatoes in an old metal pan that she sat in the kitchen near the stove. I have all the set up I need with lights and pads and such, I I have horrible luck getting tomatoes started indoors.

It is odd. My mom said her mom used to start their tomatoes in an old metal pan that she sat in the kitchen near the stove. I have all the set up I need with lights and pads and such, I I have horrible luck getting tomatoes started indoors.

I don't even attempt tomatoes. I just wait for the garden center to start selling their seedlings.

Hope they have ghost peppers again. I really enjoyed those last year.

I've never started my own from seeds before. I usually buy baby plants. This year, I did get some seeds as a gift though. I should probably start them inside since I live in New England and we will probably get frost up until May? Any advice?

There are several ways to do it...my Papa taught me to soak okra seeds overnight before planting..For weed I would put the seeds in wet paper towels until they split open, then put in starter pots..Someone is knocking on the door, must be the DEA..

There are several ways to do it...my Papa taught me to soak okra seeds overnight before planting..For weed I would put the seeds in wet paper towels until they split open, then put in starter pots..Someone is knocking on the door, must be the DEA..

I have lavender, sage and thyme.
I put in rosemary so far..

From seed? That must take awhile. I just bought one plant and then propagated it. Take off a sprig, strip the lower leaves, dip in rooting hormone and stick in the dirt. Keep it moist a month or so and in the shade and you have a well-rooted rosemary plant to set out. I have about 10 plants I started from 1 myself, and have rooted at least 10 more that I gave away way. I don't even like rosemary that much but it is supposed to deter some critters. I mostly just like propagating plants. It makes me feel like I am pulling a fast one on big agribusiness.

From seed? That must take awhile. I just bought one plant and then propagated it. Take off a sprig, strip the lower leaves, dip in rooting hormone and stick in the dirt. Keep it moist a month or so and in the shade and you have a well-rooted rosemary plant to set out. I have about 10 plants I started from 1 myself, and have rooted at least 10 more that I gave away way. I don't even like rosemary that much but it is supposed to deter some critters. I mostly just like propagating plants. It makes me feel like I am pulling a fast one on big agribusiness.
One is more than enough for us, plus I need the room to plant more when it gets warmer..

As long as the seedlings are at a south facing window (in the Northern Hemisphere) it should work out great. Sunlight and warmth is what germinates them.

I'd rather get the seedling tomato plants. If I had a big property and a greenhouse, I'd plant from scratch.

Most vegetables are planted from seed, around the May long weekend.

We may be able to plant early this year. The ground is already getting warm.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

One is more than enough for us, plus I need the room to plant more when it gets warmer..

I like to have at least two of everything so that I have a spare just in case something happens to the one. Allegedly rosemary is supposed to help deter cats, but the neighborhood cats will just crawl right up to mine and take a nap, so I suspect the person who decided it was a repellent is full of beans.

I was too late with my seeds, so I'm going to have to save them for next year and start them early. Now I'll have to buy actual plants this year. I'm going to get rosemary, thyme and oregano, because those are the herbs I use the most and I have three HUGE pots to plant them in.

I was too late with my seeds, so I'm going to have to save them for next year and start them early. Now I'll have to buy actual plants this year. I'm going to get rosemary, thyme and oregano, because those are the herbs I use the most and I have three HUGE pots to plant them in.

My rosemary and thyme are perennials and the oregano self seeds. It just take a little longer than buying live plants.

My rosemary and thyme are perennials and the oregano self seeds. It just take a little longer than buying live plants.

I can't really start seeds indoors because there isn't enough sunlight, and where there is sunlight there really isn't any place to put them. Do you think the seeds will still be good next year?

I can't really start seeds indoors because there isn't enough sunlight, and where there is sunlight there really isn't any place to put them. Do you think the seeds will still be good next year?

Yes. You need to start them indoors about 3 months before spring if you want to try that again.

Forum List

Back