Start Cutting, At Least Get Issue On Table!

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Annie, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    There are a multitude of threads mostly started by liberals saying, 'Where are the Republicans going to cut?' Implication is everything proposed is off limits, especially defense and entitlements.

The new Congress better start wrapping their minds around the fact that they are going to have to address the debt and not kick it down the road. Defense cuts need to be made by the DOD, yet it seems clear that they should begin with waste, duplication, and foreign bases.

As for Social Security, seems the first words should not be, "No, no cuts to those needing them, we'll cut waste." It won't cut it. Instead it seems prudent and fair to start, "The program needs to be cut, perhaps eventually dismantled, but promises made to those currently enrolled or within 15 years of eligibility need to be kept where insufficient resources of the individuals are available also need to be kept. We are going to look for parameters of what is necessary to keep those programs, while addressing the needs of the remainder of the population in planning for their future. We cannot allow this sword to continue to hand over the heads of our children and grandchildren."

Yet the above is NOT what we're currently hearing from those insider politicians that are trying to align themselves with tea parties:

Commentary Blog Archive The Entitlement Crisis

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Government, in It's current state, has become a corrupted parasite, that has out sized it's host, us. It needs to see that. Both form and size are at issue. The consent of the governed long discarded.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    one would be amazed how much can be saved by the elimination of duplicate services and out dated programs....many states have cut these type of services and have found that the services arent missed..one you create an agency it will stay as long as it can

4. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    it is a machine that has taken on a life of its own

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    A general rule is that the higher the level of government, the more waste and duplication. States waste much more than counties or municipalities, in general. Fed much more than states.

6. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Subsidies are a sore spot with me.

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,973
    depends on what is being subsidied there....i am all for funding the arts...which seems to be a sore subject for conservatives...i am a social liberal and fiscal conservative which finds me being yelled at ...'how are you going to pay for all the feel good programs'? blah blah fucking blah...i will tell you how...we dont need one of the largest standing armies....we dont need to import all the finished products..why export raw materials and then buy them back as a finished product? why not rebuild the textiles and manufactoring jobs...i have a lot of whys....i have very few answers...its hard to think about draining the swamp when you are up to your ass in gators

8. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    With the amount of time and manpower they have, there's no reason they can't take the entire budget, plonk it on a table somewhere, and take the time to examine it line by line. By itself eliminating one hundred million-dollar out of date program here or ten million-dollar BS study there is nothing, but if you get all of them? It would buy them time to get to work on the Big Questions at least.

They won't, of course. But that would be the proper way to approach it if they were serious.

9. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    I would like to see many Government Departments consolidated or outright eliminated...and yes I am not targeting any particuliar one, but merely suggesting that the Congress look at repetitive tasks/functions or even ones that have long outlived their usefulness.

10. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,770
    Start cutting with government employees. Cut the number, cut their salaries, and cut their benefits and that includes the people in congress.