Starbucks Workers At A Buffalo Store Vote To Form A Union In A First For The Coffee Chain

Unions are one thing in a static, established business, where the costs of paying off the business agents and organizers can be figured into the equation and where union work rules aren't a hassle because the way that things are done don't change.

But its a different story when technology changes. When I was briefly a member of the United Food and Commercial workers in the 1980's, the union mag was a constant rant against checkout scanners and how they would destroy the union's livelihood and had to be defeated.

BTW, at the grocery store I worked at , my union negotiated wage was $3.50/hour 15 cents more than the legal minimum at the time. Also, there were no medical benefits. My dues were more than that. People pretending that unions are really great at delivering the members great wages are full of shit.

I can agree with that. Chase and/or Sanborn make a lot better cup of joe. Ditto with Great Value. And both are at a lot better cost than Starbucks.
I've always made my coffee at home and took it with me in a thermos.

It works out to less than 30 cents a cup

Who cares? It's just a fucking coffee shop. The unions just want to get union dues out of them.
If the store closes and everyone loses a job, or if there is layoffs, they don't care.
That makes no sense. How do they collect dues if the store closes?

They don't, but, they don't care. Not like the unions haven't done that before.
Most likely the company filed for bankruptcy when they didn't really have to. But the bankruptcy laws make it easy for corporations to file. So they went bankrupt, renigged on pensions, moved their operations overseas where they could find cheap labor.

And honestly, who cares if they close. If they aren't willing or able to pay good wages, fuck them. Some other company will come along and they'll be able to pay well and turn a profit.

Anyways, your post made no sense. First you said all they care about is getting dues, then you say they don't care if a store closes. Of course they don't want the store to close. Less dues.

I wonder how the strike will turn out? Should be interesting to see how the union keeps the rank and file in line to picket. I wonder how much the union plans to provide in picket pay?

If the majority of the workers voted to form a union, power to them…

Never made any difference to them in the past, what's changed?
Nothing changed. The only thing that changed is I explained to you how ridiculous your comment was. So it should be your perception that has changed. You now realize just how ridiculous your comment was. Of course the union doesn't want the company to close or move overseas.

You're just a anti labor/union conservative. You've been programmed to think and say stupid things.

Meh, wage increases might raise prices 1%-3% tops. Most right wing morons have no clue as to what labor costs are as a percentage of total costs, they just set their hair on fire and drink a lot.

Why coffee shop employees need to be in a union is beyond me. It's a non-skilled job that you could train a 12 year old to do. If they want more money then they should learn a skill that's worth what they want.

Most right wing morons have no clue as to what labor costs are as a percentage of total costs
Neither does the left, apparently, since every time there is a discussion about how a small business can't hire enough workers in the current market the default regurgitation from the Bernie Bots is "well, if they simply paid them a 'living wage' there wouldn't be a problem."

Neither does the left, apparently, since every time there is a discussion about how a small business can't hire enough workers in the current market the default regurgitation from the Bernie Bots is "well, if they simply paid them a 'living wage' there wouldn't be a problem."

So how many 'small businesses' actually need to hire anybody if they can't even pay minimum wage? duh, obviously zero.

Nothing changed. The only thing that changed is I explained to you how ridiculous your comment was. So it should be your perception that has changed. You now realize just how ridiculous your comment was. Of course the union doesn't want the company to close or move overseas.

You're just a anti labor/union conservative. You've been programmed to think and say stupid things.
Bullshit, the unions have their agenda, no matter what company it is, and no regards
to the financials of the companies. True story, no matter what your union tells you.

"a small business" -- Starbucks? LOL

That really depends.

Sure, if the employer is an ongoing enterprise, and the union can maintain a long term relationship where they can skim their payroll- sure its to the benefit the union to keep the business open.

But if there is an easier way to make a quick score, pounding on the employer from the word "jump" to extract as much money as possible has a lot of benefit as well.

Most likely the company filed for bankruptcy when they didn't really have to. But the bankruptcy laws make it easy for corporations to file. So they went bankrupt, renigged on pensions, moved their operations overseas where they could find cheap labor.

And honestly, who cares if they close. If they aren't willing or able to pay good wages, fuck them. Some other company will come along and they'll be able to pay well and turn a profit.

Anyways, your post made no sense. First you said all they care about is getting dues, then you say they don't care if a store closes. Of course they don't want the store to close. Less dues.
Starbucks is not cheap as it is. It is a premium and specialty coffee emporium.

Forum List

Back