Stanley Kubrick's best film

Difficult to say, he did so many great films.

Spartacus? Dr. Strangelove? Clockwork Orange? Lolita?

All so totally different, all quite brilliant.

His worst movie was without a doubt, the second half of Full Metal Jacket.

The first half of Full Metal Jacket, was also brilliant.

Dr. Strangelove? Clockwork Orange?

On my short list of the two best movies ever made by anyone.

He over played the bravery of the B-52 pilot. They follow orders real good but finding an american with the balls to ride the bomb is nil and nada.

Full Metal Jacket was a great film, if almost complete fiction about military life. The Gunny was real, but not, when he was a Gunny he was not really that funny, I can assure you.

Why does great art and real life have so often so little to do with each other?

I got news for you ... Full Metal Jacket was THE one movie where Marine Corps boot camp was depicted almost EXACTLY like it was when I went through. R Lee Ermey was a stereotypical Senior Drill Instructor as were the actors who played the recruits.

Everything about the boot camp was authentic except when they graduated. They showed stock footage of a graduation ceremony at MCRD San Diego, not Parris Island where they were supposed to be.

And for the sake of Hollyweird and making a movie, recruits do not have weapons the day before graduation, and the odds of a recruit holding out an entire magazine full of rounds is highly unlikely. Rounds are strictly accounted for.

I didn't care for Clockwork... interesting, I guess, but I think Full Metal Jacket was a better movie. My favorite though is 2001. And, ONLY after reading all of the Arthur Clark books.

Full Metal Jacket was a great film, if almost complete fiction about military life. The Gunny was real, but not, when he was a Gunny he was not really that funny, I can assure you.

Why does great art and real life have so often so little to do with each other?

Loved FMJ, but it just can't sustain the brilliance of the first 30 minutes throughout the film. Still a great film though.

Again, no Shining?

I will say it's my favorite, though "Full Metal Jacket" had more of a lingering effect on me long after the movie was over.

But, I can watch "The Shining" with my daughter and be creeped out still to this day.

Truthfully, I thought The Shining in book AND movie form sucked the hair off of a goats hairy beanbag. Neither were even slightly scary. All pomp and no circumstance.

Why No love for Barry Lyndon? In general, I mean. I just watched it and loved it.

Last edited:
No love for Barry Lyndon. I just watched it and loved it.

Picking a favorite Kubrick film is like trying to pick a favorite kid. :lol:

He's alongside Hitchcock for Greatest Director Ever.

Though if I had to pick one Kubrick film I would watch over and over again, it would be Full Metal Jacket.

If it was for the story, I would say 2001.

If it was for overall best, I would say Dr. Strangelove

I gotta go with Spartacus

spartacus.jpg

Dr Strangelove and A Clockwork Orange are perfect through every frame. There's not a single second where you wish he'd done it differently.

Forum List

Back