Stanley Kubrick's best film

I didn't realize how many films Kubrick directed.

Although probably one of the worst films of all time is lauded as one of the greatest: 2001. Horrid, nasty, groundbreaking piece of storytelling crap.

On the other hand, my personal all time favorite is of course: The Shining

The-shining-jack-in-maze.jpg

Watched it 8 times in 2 days once. I loved it. Even though it deviated from the book a lot in certain areas, and well... let's face it, Shelley Duvall looks like a greasy rat (ugh!) the movie is fantastic. One of the best horror movies of all time.

Oh gawd! Amend that! amend that! 2001 is NOT the worst Kubrick film ever. LOLITA!!! Is the WORST Kubrick movie ever!!! Shoulda never made it to the screen!

I hate that thing with a fucking passion. Nabokov sucks as a writer and the movie only goes to make it even worse! How that book survived to become 'great' let alone even famous astounds and disgusts me. And to think Kubrick made it into a piece of shit film like that (well not that anyone could have made anything BUT shit is a testament to his skill) is pure astonishment to me.

Ugh. I take it back. 2001 is fantastic in comparison. Boring but fantastic.

I agree that 2001 was boring and overrated.

Full Metal Jacket was a movie that stayed with you long after the movie ended

Shining was fun while you watched but faded quickly afterward

Strangelove did not age well. Watching it now, you wonder why you once liked it

Spartacus was a classic

FMJ has two major assets going for it: Vincent D'Nofrio and R. Lee Ermy. After they're both out of the picture it quickly drags on. It has it's moments here and there relating the tension, sickness and revulsion of war that should be passed on, but it never recaptures the pure animosity and harshness of the relationship between Ermy and D'Nofrio that really clicked. In many regards, or at least for me, you understood why Ermy did what he did, but you also feel for the totally overwhelmed D'Nofrio.

But yeah, that movie is one of the most quotable movies with some iconic scenes that have never been topped.

Full Metal Jacket. I have not seen a better war movie since I saw FMJ.!!
Full Metal Jacket , is Stanley Kubricks best film ever.

(1964), cult film, classic best satirical film ever made. Kubrick found the conditions leading to nuclear war so absurd that the story became a sinister macabre comedy.

Loved all three of Seller's roles: His Nazi-style plans for ensuring the survival of the fittest of the human race in the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust are the black-comedy highlight of the film.

Slim Pickens, and George C. Scott...fantastic.

Little known fact: Peter Sellers was actually ALSO supposed to play Major Kong, but couldn't get a Texas Accent down.

Strangelove too.

Peter Sellers was a genius. Bastard human being, but a genius.

I am suprised he could not pull off a Texas accent. Even a parody of one.

Last edited:
1.) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2.) Barry Lyndon
3.) Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb
4.) Paths of Glory
5.) A Clockwork Orange
6.) Lolita
7.) The Killing
8.) Eyes Wide Shut
9.) Spartacus
10.) Full Metal Jacket
11.) The Shining
12.) Fear and Desire

1.) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2.) Barry Lyndon
3.) Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb
4.) Paths of Glory
5.) A Clockwork Orange
6.) Lolita
7.) The Killing
8.) Eyes Wide Shut
9.) Spartacus
10.) Full Metal Jacket
11.) The Shining
12.) Fear and Desire

Eyes wide shut above FMJ?

Don't get me wrong, Nicole Kidman's got a nice pair of baps but she ain't Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.

You and Kirk Douglas....never got over the Spartacus shit, didya.:confused:

Hey, when Tony Curtis and his Brooklyn accent opened up to Kirk Douglas and said "I luvs ya Spartacus" I broke down and wept.

Last edited:
A space odyssey was more like a "beauty in picture"-thing.
Was good, not more. But definately too long.

Clockwork Orange I watched when I was a teenager, had a school friend heavily influenced on synthetic drugs. It was his absolute Top film, so we watched it. Hmmm, really tricky that's all I remember.

Full Metal Jacket was "good", even though I am no US-citizen even films like "American Patriot" where in my opinion better in the category historical war-movies.

The Shining is Kubrick's best film.

Forum List

Back