Sports are the circuses of declining America

dfens

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2016
I'm not totally opposed to sports, honestly.

But, it's just repetitive BS, the same thing over and over. It just isn't possible to be interested in them anymore.

All of you young guys, just give it ten more years and you'll lose interest. That is, if you actually get responsibility in real life. I suppose any country needs permanent adolescents to discuss trivial stuff, to get worked up about games. Easier to control the population.

But, it's just repetitive BS, the same thing over and over. It just isn't possible to be interested in them anymore.

All of you young guys, just give it ten more years and you'll lose interest. That is, if you actually get responsibility in real life. I suppose any country needs permanent adolescents to discuss trivial stuff, to get worked up about games. Easier to control the population.

Yup. Bread and circuses. EBT cards and free 24/7 entertainment.

I've always been amazed that people invest so much into sports.

I had a friend who was wondering why so many people were upset about the election, and I pointed out to him that during the World Series Playoffs, he was practically hyperventilating over every setback the Cubs encountered.

I think the reason why it's easy to get emotionally invested into sports is that the sides are clearly drawn, it develops a sense of community and at the end of the day, no one's life is ruined if the Cubs don't win the World Series.

It's a lot easier that thinking about politics. An RBI is easier to understand than the GDP.

Talk about repetitive. You have posted a version of this troll thread at least five times now.

so very true,free agency ruined sports.Plus tearing down classic ballparks like tiger stadium amongst others.a crime these owners should go to jail for. I cant get into sports the way i used to be able to mainly cause of free agency,i mis the days growing up when players would play with ONE team their whole careers.

the NFL is the most corrupt with the pats getting away with scandal after scandal and now this bullshit off all these NFL teams relocating again.the rams going back to LA was the ONLY one that was justified. the raiders leaving for vegas will be the decline of the NFL.

the chargers going to LA was one thing,nobody said much then however there are many prominent people around the whole country that are outraged and angry over the NFL voting in favor of the raiders leaving for vegas.NFL interest will take a major dive if they really allow this to go ahead and happen.you just dont take the raiders out of oakland,thats like taking the yankees out ny and moving to florida,same thing.they tried it once and they bombed in LA,they will bomd even worse in vegas if this really goes through.

i mainly stick to games from yesterday now these days. the last two years were the exception in baseball since the royals and cubs are my two favorite baseball teams.:thup:

any wonder WHY the NFL raitings are at an all time low now? look no further in this video.

this guy gets it.:beer:

Armchair Warrior!!!

With so much media coverage for sports these days, it seems like it's become 'mindless entertainment.' People stop caring if Tom Brady has won yet another Super Bowl or if Evander Holyfield has introduced a new men's cologne.

However, there are bright spots: e.g., the Cubs finally win the World Series, Duke wins its 5th NCAA basketball championship, the Rio Olympics are a blast, and the Golden State Warriors have injected some electricity into the NBA thanks to Stephen Curry.

This year, the NBA playoffs offers some excitement --- we might see the Warriors make it to another NBA Finals to face Eastern giants Boston Celtics, and that would be an inspired contest indeed (and it would take attention away from the usual LeBron show or Spurs parade).

In other words, sports will always offer *something* to those glad enough to look for it.

So here's a civilian-fan mock dialogue I spun between a sports-fanatic (looks like a crazy dude --- my Halloween costume actually) named Ajay and his geeky but sports-wise girlfriend named Eli (in the tradition of Everybody Loves Raymond):

====

AJAY: I think the Celtics will end the Warriors' reign.
ELI: The Warriors now have Kevin Durant!
AJAY: He's a real talent, but I think the Celtics boast better coordination this year.
ELI: I just don't want to see the Spurs win again (or worse...LeBron go to another Finals).
AJAY: It's become almost predictable in the age of free-agency and talent-based coaching.
ELI: What happened to the team-play greatness we saw in the heyday of Pat Riley and Buddy Ryan?
AJAY: That's all college now (and even that's changing), but we still have Coach K (Duke)!
ELI: I think I'll enjoy episodes of 2 Broke Girls while the NBA Finals are on...
AJAY: How can I persuade you to watch the games with me?
ELI: You'll need to present me with a case about the 'community allure' of this year's tournament.
AJAY: Alright. If the Celtics win, it would be a terrific boon for the city of Boston.
ELI: Oh, so Bostonians can say, "Our Sox lost but the Celtics stole the crown from the Warriors!"
AJAY: That's right.
ELI: Alright, but what if it ends up being another Spurs-LeBron show?
AJAY: Then I owe you a video-game.

====

AJAY and ELI:

riddler-geek.jpg

Volleyball Trophies

What about the achievements of the US men's national volleyball team in the Summer Olympics (1984, 1988) under the leadership of American volleyball-player standout Karch Kiraly?

They had important victories over Japan, Brazil, and the USSR in that era. That was before our single-minded capitalism-subjective TrumpUSA era. Or is that simply one society group?

====

KIRALY: Sports will redeem capitalism.
COSELL: It's still a marketplace.
KIRALY: That's in the era of free agents.
COSELL: It's very lucrative from top down.
KIRALY: Reaganomics-oriented politics can not stand on its own.
COSELL: We'll see...
KIRALY: Burger King will rule the world.
COSELL: Is that good news?
KIRALY: There's nothing wrong with sports marketing in the media (e.g., Michael Jordan basketball shoes).
COSELL: Do you think mercantilism is linked to culture?
KIRALY: I have no problem with 'fanfare lifestyle.'
COSELL: I will toast NFL games this Thanksgiving.

====

Karch Kiraly (Wikipedia)

US Men's National Volleyball (Wikipedia)

1988-us-volleyball.jpg

Bread and circuses. EBT cards and free 24/7 entertainment.
Free?!?! Last Orioles game I went to, $54!!! No, it wasn't a box seat. It was a seat that when I was going all the time in the late 70s-early 80s would have cost ~$5.

another perfect example how baseball same as the NFL is fucked up today by greed.

The NFL is the biggest circus of them all.I mean its one thing for a city like st louis to lose two DIFFERENT franchises but for a city to lose the SAME franchise TWICE as is the case in the OAKLAND Raiders and for it to be ALLOWED when they have the most loyal and dedicated fans in the world? they had a 20,000 waiting list of season ticket holders and have sold out the last several years everygame.

as you can see in this video,st louis is suing the NFL for violating relocation rules.they wont be able to get the team back of course but if they win the case,they will be rewarded millions in damages which i hope they are successful at. matter of fact the cities of san diego and oakland are joining forces with st louis talking to each other about suing the league.:clap2::thup:

this could be a huge embarrassment for the league if they lose because san diego and oakland have an even MUCH stronger case against the NFL because the NFL rules state the the owners have to work with the city to try and get something done to try and stay in their respective cities.they are suing to keep their name and logo and are prepared to take this to the supreme court if they have to.:thup:

the city of OAKLAND has a VERY strong case against the NFL because mark davis never once tried to get anything done in oakland as the NFL relocation guildlines state you have to,same with dan spanos of the chargers,the mayor of SD wanted to talk to the chargers but he refused to ever come to the table.He complained in the papers how he was never coming to the table trying to get anything done in san diego .and Davis was even MUCH worse in oakland.

after the rams left LA in 95 and the oilers a year later in 96 for much smaller markets the NFL in 97 drew up much tougher relocation guildlines you have to follow to prevent a team from leaving to a smaller market,well the NFL has violated that recently approving the raiders move to vegas because they are going from the 6th biggest media market to the 44th.:rolleyes:

Just because the raiders have been given permisson to relocate,I would not be so confidant that the move happens. If this goes to court which is what will happen if the owners dont come to their sense and tell davis and spanos to go back to SD and oakland,this will be a major black eye on the NFL because it was one thing to take the chargers out of san diego but taking the raiders out of oakland,thats a crime you just dont do because they have a national following around the country and are only thought of as the OAKLAND Raiders.

the NFL if they dont wise up and change their ruling,are going to find that out very soon that sports fans across the country dont see the raiders as the raiders unless they play in OAKLAND.:rolleyes-41: and I am not even a raiders fan obviously.

taking the raiders out of oakland,you just dont do that,thats like taking the yankees out of new york or the cowboys out of dallas and moving to florida.you just dont do that.

the identity of the yankees,cowboys and the raiders,teams that are national brands is their CITY. A fact many idiots around here just dont get.:rolleyes-41:

I never once thought the NFL would be stupid enough to approve the raiders going to vegas but i overlooked one important fact.GREED.This was all done just so the NFL owners could line their pockets with a lot more money getting rick from relocation fees they all paid.every owner got 15 million a piece everytime from each location.

the NFL is the biggest circus of them all with baseball not too far behind now as the OP demonstrated so well in his post of tickets that used to be just $5.oo back in the 70's and 80's now being over a &100.00:mad:

give me college football and college baseball anyday of the year where the game is not corrupt by greedy selfish asshole owners who dont care about history and tradition.:thup: with universitys,you know THEY wont be moving.:thup:

Last edited:
Lets see,this year we are going to have TWO teams in LA despite the fact that history has proven two teams there has NEVER worked,:rolleyes:
and you cant find anybody in LA who wants to see the chargers there,then they plan on going from the 6th biggest media market to the 44th one,which is as big a joke as when the rams left LA for a no town city called st louis that economists correctly back then said would be a disaster for the NFL and are saying the same thing now with a city that is the most poor city in the country since they will never be able to afford the PSL seat licences,:rolleyes: yet we got morons around here who think this vegas move is a great idea and there is nothing wrong with the NFL,that they know what they are doing.:rolleyes:

i hate to think that a year ago i considered stan kroneke my hero for bringing the rams back to LA but he is no different than that evil bitch who moved them to st louis or mark davis the fact he voted in FAVOR of the raiders moving not caring about all the fans in oakland who are suffering from this.asshole.im done with the NFL.fuck stan kroneke and fuck the NFL.

beam me up scotty,there is no intelligent life forms on this planet.

Last edited:

Car racing is great when you are 16. After you've seen a few of them though you see it's exactly the same thing over and over. Cars going around in circles for two hours. It is boring as hell. At least with something like Le Mans or racing through the desert the scenery is always changing. NASCAR is a cat laser pointer for humans.

I can still watch football but basketball and baseball have gotten stale as well.

Car racing is great when you are 16. After you've seen a few of them though you see it's exactly the same thing over and over. Cars going around in circles for two hours. It is boring as hell. At least with something like Le Mans or racing through the desert the scenery is always changing. NASCAR is a cat laser pointer for humans.

I can still watch football but basketball and baseball have gotten stale as well.

Millions of people disagree with you.

And they are free to do so. Millions of people also play tic-tac-toe past the age of 9.

And they are free to do so. Millions of people also play tic-tac-toe past the age of 9.

Is Pretentious Douchebag a sport?

Forum List

Back