Sports are the circuses of declining America

Discussion in 'Sports' started by dfens, Apr 15, 2017.

1. dfens

dfens Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I'm not totally opposed to sports, honestly.

But, it's just repetitive BS, the same thing over and over. It just isn't possible to be interested in them anymore.

All of you young guys, just give it ten more years and you'll lose interest. That is, if you actually get responsibility in real life. I suppose any country needs permanent adolescents to discuss trivial stuff, to get worked up about games. Easier to control the population.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,412
    Yup. Bread and circuses. EBT cards and free 24/7 entertainment.

3. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39,496
    Go Dodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,293
    I've always been amazed that people invest so much into sports.

I had a friend who was wondering why so many people were upset about the election, and I pointed out to him that during the World Series Playoffs, he was practically hyperventilating over every setback the Cubs encountered.

I think the reason why it's easy to get emotionally invested into sports is that the sides are clearly drawn, it develops a sense of community and at the end of the day, no one's life is ruined if the Cubs don't win the World Series.

It's a lot easier that thinking about politics. An RBI is easier to understand than the GDP.

5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,348

Talk about repetitive. You have posted a version of this troll thread at least five times now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    so very true,free agency ruined sports.Plus tearing down classic ballparks like tiger stadium amongst others.a crime these owners should go to jail for. I cant get into sports the way i used to be able to mainly cause of free agency,i mis the days growing up when players would play with ONE team their whole careers.

the NFL is the most corrupt with the pats getting away with scandal after scandal and now this bullshit off all these NFL teams relocating again.the rams going back to LA was the ONLY one that was justified. the raiders leaving for vegas will be the decline of the NFL.

the chargers going to LA was one thing,nobody said much then however there are many prominent people around the whole country that are outraged and angry over the NFL voting in favor of the raiders leaving for vegas.NFL interest will take a major dive if they really allow this to go ahead and happen.you just dont take the raiders out of oakland,thats like taking the yankees out ny and moving to florida,same thing.they tried it once and they bombed in LA,they will bomd even worse in vegas if this really goes through.

i mainly stick to games from yesterday now these days. the last two years were the exception in baseball since the royals and cubs are my two favorite baseball teams.:thup:

7. LA RAM FAN

LA RAM FAN Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    any wonder WHY the NFL raitings are at an all time low now? look no further in this video.

this guy gets it.:beer:

8. Abishai100

Abishai100 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Armchair Warrior!!!

With so much media coverage for sports these days, it seems like it's become 'mindless entertainment.' People stop caring if Tom Brady has won yet another Super Bowl or if Evander Holyfield has introduced a new men's cologne.

However, there are bright spots: e.g., the Cubs finally win the World Series, Duke wins its 5th NCAA basketball championship, the Rio Olympics are a blast, and the Golden State Warriors have injected some electricity into the NBA thanks to Stephen Curry.

This year, the NBA playoffs offers some excitement --- we might see the Warriors make it to another NBA Finals to face Eastern giants Boston Celtics, and that would be an inspired contest indeed (and it would take attention away from the usual LeBron show or Spurs parade).

In other words, sports will always offer *something* to those glad enough to look for it.

So here's a civilian-fan mock dialogue I spun between a sports-fanatic (looks like a crazy dude --- my Halloween costume actually) named Ajay and his geeky but sports-wise girlfriend named Eli (in the tradition of Everybody Loves Raymond):

====

AJAY: I think the Celtics will end the Warriors' reign.
    ELI: The Warriors now have Kevin Durant!
    AJAY: He's a real talent, but I think the Celtics boast better coordination this year.
    ELI: I just don't want to see the Spurs win again (or worse...LeBron go to another Finals).
    AJAY: It's become almost predictable in the age of free-agency and talent-based coaching.
    ELI: What happened to the team-play greatness we saw in the heyday of Pat Riley and Buddy Ryan?
    AJAY: That's all college now (and even that's changing), but we still have Coach K (Duke)!
    ELI: I think I'll enjoy episodes of 2 Broke Girls while the NBA Finals are on...
    AJAY: How can I persuade you to watch the games with me?
    ELI: You'll need to present me with a case about the 'community allure' of this year's tournament.
    AJAY: Alright. If the Celtics win, it would be a terrific boon for the city of Boston.
    ELI: Oh, so Bostonians can say, "Our Sox lost but the Celtics stole the crown from the Warriors!"
    AJAY: That's right.
    ELI: Alright, but what if it ends up being another Spurs-LeBron show?
    AJAY: Then I owe you a video-game.

====

AJAY and ELI:

riddler-geek.jpg

9. Abishai100

Abishai100 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Volleyball Trophies

What about the achievements of the US men's national volleyball team in the Summer Olympics (1984, 1988) under the leadership of American volleyball-player standout Karch Kiraly?

They had important victories over Japan, Brazil, and the USSR in that era. That was before our single-minded capitalism-subjective TrumpUSA era. Or is that simply one society group?

====

KIRALY: Sports will redeem capitalism.
    COSELL: It's still a marketplace.
    KIRALY: That's in the era of free agents.
    COSELL: It's very lucrative from top down.
    KIRALY: Reaganomics-oriented politics can not stand on its own.
    COSELL: We'll see...
    KIRALY: Burger King will rule the world.
    COSELL: Is that good news?
    KIRALY: There's nothing wrong with sports marketing in the media (e.g., Michael Jordan basketball shoes).
    COSELL: Do you think mercantilism is linked to culture?
    KIRALY: I have no problem with 'fanfare lifestyle.'
    COSELL: I will toast NFL games this Thanksgiving.

====

Karch Kiraly (Wikipedia)

US Men's National Volleyball (Wikipedia)

1988-us-volleyball.jpg

10. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,076
    Free?!?! Last Orioles game I went to, $54!!! No, it wasn't a box seat. It was a seat that when I was going all the time in the late 70s-early 80s would have cost ~$5.

• Informative Informative x 1