Spontaneous, jubilant crowds

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
While reading this post from Liability, this stood out:
Damn it. Stop.

I share your dislike of the Obama Administration.

But let me respectfully suggest that after your team wins the big game, it is perfectly ok to celebrate.
It reminded me of the crowds which spontaneously sprung up in front of the White House, Times Square, and other places after the President's announcement of bin Laden's death. Which in turn reminded me of the crowds celebrating in the Middle East when the WTC collapsed.

In their minds, and the way that they grew up listening to how evil America is from their leaders and clerics, they won the big game when the towers fell. And we were rightfully repulsed by their celebrations.

Now, we've won the big game, and they are repulsed by our celebrations.

Are they wrong? Were we wrong? Or is it just a natural reaction when you win?

In many ways we are no more civilized that those we call cavemen and such in the ME.

I felt like I must be unamerican for not going out dancing in the street and shooting my gun in the air.

But I am me and that is all I can be and it is a hard job being me.

Good OP btw. Much better stated than I could have done.

I said the same thing on another post...the first thing that came to my mind when i saw people celebrating was see the people in the ME doing the same thing on 9/11. This really bothered me...be glad he's gone, but when anyone dies it's not cause for a party.

when evil dies its OK to be happy.

Take a look at the crowds who are celebrating.

They are mostly very young.

OBL has been a boogey man for most of their lives.

Someone who is 23 today was in middle school on 9/11/01.

For these young Americans it is like hitlers death.

Yes our American forgien policy helped create the atmosphere that helped these idiots recruit.
Stupid people will claim that this is equal with saying it is our fault.

Its not.

when you are dealing with a rabid dog there are wise ways to do it and unwise ways to do it.

It does not mean you created the rabid dog.

I said the same thing on another post...the first thing that came to my mind when i saw people celebrating was see the people in the ME doing the same thing on 9/11. This really bothered me...be glad he's gone, but when anyone dies it's not cause for a party.
See, I take the opposite opinion. It didn't piss me off when they were celebrating 9/11 because I understood their mindset, and that they were just cheering for their 'team'. And I have no problem with what occurred Sunday night.

Osama's a sad example of how you can destroy your life through adopting radical religion and extreme nationalism, glad he is dead, but it won't stop Al Qaeda nor will end the reasons for jihad or holy war.

Forum List

Back