Spinach Samosas: Veggie Victory

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
A samosa is a fried pastry filled with a savory ingredient such as lentils, peas, onions, spiced potatoes, or ground lamb.

Samosas are triangle-shaped and about the size of a human hand. Samosas originate from India and are found on menus of most Indian restaurants in the USA.

Samosas from the East have grown in popularity hand-in-hand with the growing popularity of pierogies (Polish potato-pastries) from the West. As people have personalized pierogies and have come up with new ways ot making them or new fillings to put in them, so too have people come up with new ways of making or filling samosas.

The growing popularity of vegetarianism in modern times of organic living consciousness has brought newfound appreciation for Eastern cultures which hugely celebrate such thinking. Home cooks in the USA are taking Eastern samosa-making recipes from the Internet and personalizing or spicing them up with vegetarianism-oriented variations.

Since spinach is a popular vegetable-based dish served in the USA, and the beloved American cartoon icon Popeye is famously known for becoming super-strong by eating healthy spinach, samosas filled with spinach is a delightful variation on the traditionally Eastern appetizer.

You can opt to fry the samosa lighter and filling it with steamed or lightly-oiled (or buttered) spinach could make your vegetarian evening both exotic and nutritious.

Yum. Had some just yesterday. I try to avoid fried foods but it was a li'l sneak treat.

Indians get vegetarian stuff right because they eschew the whole "everything has to be healthy" mantra of western vegetarians and proceed to deep fry the living crap out of anything they can get their hands on.

Indians get vegetarian stuff right because they eschew the whole "everything has to be healthy" mantra of western vegetarians and proceed to deep fry the living crap out of anything they can get their hands on.

Bullshit. There's very little fried food in Indian cuisine. You might try some sometime.
What there is a lot of is stews. If they were doing fried foods like we do they'd have the same obesity epidemic we do.

A samosa is a side dish or appetizer.

Bullshit. There's very little fried food in Indian cuisine. You might try some sometime.
What there is a lot of is stews. If they were doing fried foods like we do they'd have the same obesity epidemic we do.

So pakora's are not fried? Medhu Vada not fried? Dosa's are not fried?

I'm marrying a Bengali american girl, and frying is a big part of what's cooked. Maybe "deep fried" is only a subset, but you don't get the grazing animal crap with Indian food that you get from american vegan cuisine.

Once again, those are side dishes, not the main things.

I'm not sure what "american [sic] vegan cuisine" is but Indian cuisine certainly is comprised of more cauliflower, peas, carrot and other veggies than ours is. We both use potatoes a lot, though again theirs are usually not in a drowned-in-hydrogenated oil state but typically in a stew, with actual seasoning in it.

That's what Indian cuisine has that ours doesn't: flavor.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what "american [sic] vegan cuisine" is but Indian cuisine certainly is comprised of more cauliflower, peas, carrot and other veggies than ours is. We both use potatoes a lot, though again theirs are usually not in a drowned-in-hydrogenated oil state but typically in a stew, with actual seasoning in it.

What's with the excepting the side dishes? Dosa crepe's are a side dish???

Why are you just trying to be a contrarian asshat?

LOVE samosas.

There's a Hari Krishna gourmet vegan restaurant in Tucson called Govinda's that made the best samosas I ever had. Just incredible food and very affordable - $6.99 for all you eat. Paul and Linda McCartney used to eat there and I saw them there a couple of times.

We make Indian food pretty often. Its easy and there are always ingredients in the fridge.Its true there's not much that's fried and also true its usually healthier than tradition American fare.

As usual, its you who is being contrary. If you don't like Indian food, why try to trash a thread about it?

Because that is your MO.

As usual, its you who is being contrary. If you don't like Indian food, why try to trash a thread about it?

Because that is your MO.

Read the thread idiot, I have a Bengali Fiance, I eat Indian food all the time. They LOVE fried foods. That was my point, and then Pogo had to go all "no they don't fry stuff, its all side dishes" just to be contrary.

Because that is your MO.

Yeah, even on food of all things. Is nothing sacred to these contrarianistas?

Read the thread idiot, I have a Bengali Fiance, I eat Indian food all the time. They LOVE fried foods. That was my point, and then Pogo had to go all "no they don't fry stuff, its all side dishes" just to be contrary.

You're a liar. Because here it is:

Post Number Three.

Last edited:

Because that is your MO.

Yeah, even on food of all things. Is nothing sacred to these contrarianistas?

You were the one who started being an asshat on this thread, not me.

Go fuck yourself.

LOVE samosas.

There's a Hari Krishna gourmet vegan restaurant in Tucson called Govinda's that made the best samosas I ever had. Just incredible food and very affordable - $6.99 for all you eat. Paul and Linda McCartney used to eat there and I saw them there a couple of times.

We make Indian food pretty often. Its easy and there are always ingredients in the fridge.Its true there's not much that's fried and also true its usually healthier than tradition American fare.

At least half of my dinners if not most are either Indian or Thai inspired. Sometimes I'll mix the two and go Burmese ;)

I got a Karahi a while back, love cooking in it.

This thread's making me hungry. Gonna have to go patronize the local Kentucky Fried Curry for some McVindaloo burgers and a side of rasam rings.

Last edited:

actually lots of frying in indian food------pan frying to start the
veggies----and -----OIL in the pan starts everything----in fact one fries the spices There is lots of obesity in India-----
especially amongst jains----those people who eat practically nothing-----but oil and sugar (and milk and veggies that do
not grow under the ground)-----if you cannot get it
on the first floor-----jains do not eat it. I have known fat
jain girls.------

veggies----and -----OIL in the pan starts everything----in fact one fries the spices There is lots of obesity in India-----
especially amongst jains----those people who eat practically nothing-----but oil and sugar (and milk and veggies that do
jain girls.------

That's pan frying and stir frying. Hell, I do that too - that's what the karahi is for. What Emeril Chakrabharti up there said was they "deep fry the living crap out of anything they can get their hands on", which is just bullshit.

jain girls.------

That's pan frying and stir frying. Hell, I do that too - that's what the karahi is for. What Emeril Chakrabharti up there said was they "deep fry the living crap out of anything they can get their hands on", which is just bullshit.

almost true-----the most commonly considered good snack food---PAKORAS sometimes called PAKODA---are deep fried-----as to pan frying----there are various kinds----the
scant oil kind more correctly called saute----and then
there is shallow pan frying----like in an inch of oil----
not much different from DEEP-----it is how mothers make
French fried (ie my mother) actually very much like deep fry---as to NUTRITIONAL OUTCOME.
PURIS are also kinda deep fried. The stewing you describe-----is what we call "curry" Paratha is layered with oil like a croissant

jain girls.------

almost true-----the most commonly considered good snack food---PAKORAS sometimes called PAKODA---are deep fried-----as to pan frying----there are various kinds----the
French fried (ie my mother) actually very much like deep fry---as to NUTRITIONAL OUTCOME.
PURIS are also kinda deep fried. The stewing you describe-----is what we call "curry" Paratha is layered with oil like a croissant

Actually the point of all that was the phrase "anything they can get their hands on". We all know deep frying exists. Samosas and pakoras hardly a meal make. And I know damn well what curry is; it's a regular meal for me, has been for decades.

Sheeesh. Ya gotta spell out every little thing around here.

jain girls.------

Actually the point of all that was the phrase "anything they can get their hands on". We all know deep frying exists. Samosas and pakoras hardly a meal make. And I know damn well what curry is; it's a regular meal for me, has been for decades.

it's ok-----remember----we are not writing doctoral dissertations------HOWEVER it is true that Indian cuisine whilst in the view of hubby and me is good stuff----there are
people who call it junk food------just like American stuff it is a
matter also of what you eat----crunchy chatt -----and very sugared ----stuff is all over the indian tables-----sticky sweets-----yummy high coloric stuff Jalebee is deep fried junk food

jain girls.------

Only when you decide to act like an asshole on a food post.

A samosa is a fried pastry filled with a savory ingredient such as lentils, peas, onions, spiced potatoes, or ground lamb.

Samosas are triangle-shaped and about the size of a human hand. Samosas originate from India and are found on menus of most Indian restaurants in the USA.

Samosas from the East have grown in popularity hand-in-hand with the growing popularity of pierogies (Polish potato-pastries) from the West. As people have personalized pierogies and have come up with new ways ot making them or new fillings to put in them, so too have people come up with new ways of making or filling samosas.

The growing popularity of vegetarianism in modern times of organic living consciousness has brought newfound appreciation for Eastern cultures which hugely celebrate such thinking. Home cooks in the USA are taking Eastern samosa-making recipes from the Internet and personalizing or spicing them up with vegetarianism-oriented variations.

Since spinach is a popular vegetable-based dish served in the USA, and the beloved American cartoon icon Popeye is famously known for becoming super-strong by eating healthy spinach, samosas filled with spinach is a delightful variation on the traditionally Eastern appetizer.

You can opt to fry the samosa lighter and filling it with steamed or lightly-oiled (or buttered) spinach could make your vegetarian evening both exotic and nutritious.

Samosas are delicious I love the cheese ones.

Forum List

Back