Sperm donor to lesbian couple ordered to pay child support

Why should he need legal protection? If he has to pay child support can he sue for custody? The state has both parents of the child available, they just want to force him to pay because they are using laws based on 19th century thinking.

I'm not sure whether he can sue for custody. The article says he gave up all parental rights. Being forced to pay child support might be a game changer, though.

Imagine if he was forced to.pay and then told he could not ne involved with that child. Damn.
I've seen that sort of bullshit happen....personally seen it.

How anyone who has passed the bar can tolerate doing "family" law without puking at least three times a week, is beyond me.

Kansas Sperm Donor For Lesbian Couple Faces Child Support Suit From State

Sperm donor for lesbian couple sued by State of Kansas for child support - Springfield Top News | Examiner.com

Daily Kos :: Kansas seems intent on punishing LGBT couples and now their sperm donors.

They all say the same thing the fox news article does, although one points out that the state apparently finds the contract invalid because the insemination was not performed by a doctor.

However, you don't need a doctor to perform insemination, and many women simply purchase sperm and have it shipped to them, so the current Kanas law could allow any woman who buys sperm and has it shipped to her, to turn around and sue the donor for support.

Wow, just like livestock breeders...imagine...

I'd say the doctor is far more clinical than being in your own home and having your husband or partner with you.

Kansas Sperm Donor For Lesbian Couple Faces Child Support Suit From State

Sperm donor for lesbian couple sued by State of Kansas for child support - Springfield Top News | Examiner.com

Daily Kos :: Kansas seems intent on punishing LGBT couples and now their sperm donors.

They all say the same thing the fox news article does, although one points out that the state apparently finds the contract invalid because the insemination was not performed by a doctor.

However, you don't need a doctor to perform insemination, and many women simply purchase sperm and have it shipped to them, so the current Kanas law could allow any woman who buys sperm and has it shipped to her, to turn around and sue the donor for support.

Wow, just like livestock breeders...imagine...

I'd say the doctor is far more clinical than being in your own home and having your husband or partner with you.

Having sperm to-order shipped in and then having the veterinarian inseminate the dam...pretty normal procedure when dealing with livestock. Such procedures are, however, usually reserved for high-end livestock with pedigrees.

I'm not sure whether he can sue for custody. The article says he gave up all parental rights. Being forced to pay child support might be a game changer, though.

Imagine if he was forced to.pay and then told he could not ne involved with that child. Damn.

How anyone who has passed the bar can tolerate doing "family" law without puking at least three times a week, is beyond me.

Child support is not a payment that provides the payer with carte blanche to visit the child. It's child support, meant to support the child; not to give the absent parent access to the child.

I wish people would get that straight. Lots of people aren't allowed to see their children for whatever reasons, and the concept that a child should be denied support because the one paying didn't get his 2 day visit is ridiculous.

he should have gotten the legal protection at the time.

That is the lesson here.

Read, you moron. He and the couple had a signed agreement in which he gave up custody and they gave up claims for future support. The state is ignoring this agreement.

The state never signed this agreement.

If these women got sperm from a sperm bank, this wouldn't be an issue. They decided to save a few bucks by going on Craig's List...

The lesson is- stay away from Craig's List.

Real families are messy and complicated...

Child support is not a payment that provides the payer with carte blanche to visit the child. It's child support, meant to support the child; not to give the absent parent access to the child.

I wish people would get that straight. Lots of people aren't allowed to see their children for whatever reasons, and the concept that a child should be denied support because the one paying didn't get his 2 day visit is ridiculous.
I wish you'd actually realize that a lot...a fuck load...of exes lies in court. Especially women.

Makes me proud to be a woman. :rolleyes:

And, in this case the donor had a contract with the birth mother where NOTHING in that contract is illegal or over-riding any law.

Too bad for her.

Let's see if KS can be as wise as VA in this case.

Let's get real here. This is a twit who answered an ad on Craig's list. He kind of deserves to get burned.

If these ladies had gone to a reputable sperm bank, this wouldn't be an issue. They went the cheap route. And now this guy is going to have to pay, because, hey, he didn't get the anomynity a sperm bank provides.

Can't feel really bad for him.

I wish you'd actually realize that a lot...a fuck load...of exes lies in court. Especially women.

And, in this case the donor had a contract with the birth mother where NOTHING in that contract is illegal or over-riding any law.

Too bad for her.

Completely irrelevant.. child support isn't a rental payment to be paid only if absent parent gets time with the kid.

And there is a way to release a biological parent from responsibility...it's called adoption. If the state wouldn't recognize the adoption, the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. It's just a failed attempt to circumvent the existing law, and obviously, it didn't work.

If they hadn't gone on welfare, all this would be moot anyway.

Last edited:
he should have gotten the legal protection at the time.

That is the lesson here.

Read, you moron. He and the couple had a signed agreement in which he gave up custody and they gave up claims for future support. The state is ignoring this agreement.

Unfortunately for him, that paper means nothing. The state is going after him because the custodial parent is on welfare and any child support they collect will be used to reimburse the state for said welfare.

If there wasn't welfare involved the state would not give a fuck about this, book that.

Absolutely correct. Two entirely separate issues and a person will find themselves in a sling if they withhold child support over visitation or refuse visitation over child support?

If the state is the kind benovolent benefactor it claims to be, they would give the child to its father.

Too bad for her.

Their contract became invalid the moment welfare became an issue.

Every state in the country will try to collect child support and apply towards reimbursement of welfare.

Now, that being said I think it's pretty shitty that in this circumstance the state would go after the sperm donor; but he's not entirely blameless since he didn't utilize the system that is in place to protect him.

Hint, a contract was not that system.

Too bad for her.

Every state in the country will try to collect child support and apply towards reimbursement of welfare.

Now, that being said I think it's pretty shitty that in this circumstance the state would go after the sperm donor; but he's not entirely blameless since he didn't utilize the system that is in place to protect him.

It's obvious by this that donating your sperm is more than just a 3-minute event.

Last edited:

Too bad for her.

It's obvious by this that donating your sperm is more than than a 3-minute event.

Just further convinces me that most people in this country are clinically retarded and chronically make wrong choices.

Maybe Obama has it right and Americans do need someone telling them what to do every minute of every day.

If people were allowed to learn from their mistakes, instead of the government subsidizing every really bad decision that can be made, from drug use to promiscuity to outright criminal activity, then we'd be in a much better place.

But somewhere along the line, Americans became more committed to obtaining government cheese than they are to moving up in the world and being self sufficient.

Forum List

Back