Spend Education Money or Lose it

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Avatar4321, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20040629_981.html

Apparently the Department of Education is reminding states that they need to spend the over two billion dollars earmarked for Education within the next few months or it will go back to the federal government. This of course has peaked my interests considering the liberals are saying there hasnt been enough money given to the states to impliment the Presidents "No child left behind program" So exactly how can there not be enough money for these programs and there be over 2 billion dollars given to the states that arent spent? And if the States arent spending this money why should we give it to them? Why not give it back to the American workers?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I know some school districts around here have convinced the property owners to pony up and pass referendums so they don't have to take the federal dollars. They don't want the mandates; some are even forgoing the state monies, granted they are wealthy districts doing this. The parents do not want total inclusion or special education kids test scores factored into the standardized testing, as it makes interpretation of the tests impossible.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Avatar, I agree. The appropriation eveidently expires on September 30, after which no new obligations against those funds may be made (this is my line of work; I just do it for DoD, not DOE). The good news is that after the appropriation closes, that's $2B the treasury has to spend against things like debt reduction, interest, etc.