Spend an Evening With Saddle Creek

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
Let me preface this:

ClayTaurus, kiss my butt! I like Bright Eyes, and Cursive, and Rilo Kiley, so don't you go hating on me for recommending this movie!!!! :banana:

OK, so this is just a documentary about the creation of Saddle Creek Records, one of the more successful independent record companies in America.

The actual presentation of the documentary leaves quite a bit to be desired. The formula is simple: talking head, pictures or videos showing what the talking head was talking about, repeat. If you're not at all interested in the material, you'll get bored real quick.

But, it is a pretty inspiring story. The "company" started out as just a few friends in Omaha, Nebraska making tapes of each other's bands in their parents' basements, usually making no more than 100 copies of each. Over the course of the past ten years, they have gone from being only known to a few people around Omaha to being fairly well-known, relatively speaking. None of them are "famous" in any major way, or anything, but the biggest band, Bright Eyes, did have an album crack the top ten this past year.

But, the real inspiration comes in the fact that it's just a bunch of friends hanging out, doing what they love to do, regardless of whether it will be considered cool or popular. They've had many offers to sell out to larger corporations, but they still own and operate everything out of Omaha.

It's an interesting story, but not necessarily worth purchasing unless you're a big Saddle Creek fan, in which case you probably already know about it.

Forum List

Back