Looking For Comedy In the Muslim World

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
I happen to be a big fan of Albert Brooks, I love his humor.

If this movie happens to come to a theatre near you I would encourage anyone to see it. It's an independent film financed mostly by Brooks, but it may go to wide release? Although it wasn't a laugh riot, it was very funny in a sophisticated dry humor style that is Brooks. In it he plays himself who is asked by the US State Dept to go to Pakistan and find out what makes them laugh. So off he goes with visions of receiving a medal of Freedom and fear that he needs to write a five hndred page report on the subject. There is some very funny humor associated with Al Jezeera thrown in.

This is weird, but although his style of humor is right up my alley, I really don't enjoy Albert Brooks all that much at all. But, still, I highly respect what he does (self-financing, making the movies he wants to make, rather than what the studio wants).

Bonnie, did you see Defending Your Life? I loved Brooks in that one!
It was perfect for his drollness; probably had to be since he wrote and directed himself in it.

This new movie sounds like it could be fun. Let's hope he doesn't "offend" any Muslims.

Abbey Normal said:
Bonnie, did you see Defending Your Life? I loved Brooks in that one!
It was perfect for his drollness; probably had to be since he wrote and directed himself in it.

This new movie sounds like it could be fun. Let's hope he doesn't "offend" any Muslims.

I loved that movie, also "Mother", the "Inlaws" remake, but my most favorite of his movies is "Lost In America". I have a feeling it has been pulled from the box office given all the rioting over the Danish cartoon. He said he had no one in Hollywood that would give him financing for this one as they were all afraid of offending Muslims and what's stupid about that is there is nothing insulting to Muslims in this movie. Funny they don't seem shy about offending Christians and Catholics. :dunno:

Forum List

Back