Spanish will make you smart

Hey you think learning Spanish is hard, try learning castellano

De que tu hablas??? Aprender ingles es mucho mas dificil que aprender el espanol. No importa si es castellano. Comprendes mendez o me explico federico? If you want your kids to learn a foreign language, than teach it to them at home and leave the english to the school. This will help them to master both instead of mastering neither.

Where, in that article, does it specify 'Spanish'? That's my point.

I speak English, French, Gaelic, some Spanish, some German, and a smattering of Italian. No wonder I'm a smart girl!!

hey alright Cali....i can get around anyone of these Countries with no problem what so ever....can talk to the folks there....i must INCREDABLY intelligent....:eusa_angel:

Region
Antigua and Barbuda
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Cameroon
Canada
Dominica
Fiji
The Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Ireland
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Liberia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malta
Marshall Islands
Mauritius
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Philippines
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sudan
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Last edited:
We start kids too late for most native-born Americans to be polyglots.

By the time you reach junior high school, your ability to naturally pick up a new language is pretty much gone... UNLESS you're already primed to pick up new languages because you've been doing that your whole life!

We ought to start teaching kids other languages in preschool.

I'm doing my part to make teaching other languages easier for the world

And ya' want to know why I'm obsessed with this language issue?

I took 5 years of Spanish starting in 8th grade.

By my senior year in High school, I finally got a gentleman's C in Spanish II!!!

Wait, there's more...

And then, back when I was a junior in college majoring in liberal arts, I realized that I'd have to take four semestors of a foreign language to get my BA.

Well, knowing that I was not good at picking up languages, I transfered into the secondary ED program JUST so I could avoid taking those courses.

Instead I took 4 ED course (what a waste those were, too, but that's a different rant).

So think about it...

I changed my entire careeer path just to avoid having to pay for classes where I knew perfectly welll that I would NOT LEARN a foreign language.

Niow here's the real kicker...

In second grade our teacher (Miss Hoffenberg from Argentina) started teaching us SPANISH.

We kids loved it, but some of our parents disapproved of it and she was forced to stop teaching us that language..

So, back when I was seven and I could have easily learned that language, I was denied the education to do so.

How's that for a truly stupid educational policy?

Pobrecity, lo siento mucho, Si?

In Japan they offer English classes as early as 4th grade. I was talking to one of my ESL students about it. She is from Okinawa, and they were lucky enough to have English speakers come to class to help teach english, and of course there is the base there with lots of folks wandering around the island with only English.

Language instruction also has to be fairly intensive.

Otherwise it won't work so well.

In Japan they offer English classes as early as 4th grade. I was talking to one of my ESL students about it. She is from Okinawa, and they were lucky enough to have English speakers come to class to help teach english, and of course there is the base there with lots of folks wandering around the island with only English.

Language instruction also has to be fairly intensive.

Otherwise it won't work so well.

The Okinawan government works very hard to teach their people to speak English, in spite of the fact that they want our bases OFF of their island.

English is the INTERNATIONAL language - but - soon to be a thing of the past and be replaced by Chinese. I read somewhere that they are advising people to teach their children chinese as that will be the future of the world.

Forum List

Back