Spanish will make you smart

Interesting that someone who claims to value the truth shows such little respect for it. Nowhere in the article does it specify that speaking Spanish will make anyone smarter. Not for the first time, a leftie spins a legitimate story for their own, partisan, purpose.

Perhaps 'truthmatters' (damn, that name makes me laugh) would provide evidence of any rightwing poster claiming that Americans should only speak one language.

Why would tm select only Spanish? Aren't there other languages that are as equally important? Does learning French make one "dumb"? Or should we only focus on communication with Hispanics. Fuck the Chinese and the German right truthmattersnot?

Zoom is right. A foreign language should be taught in Kindergarten. But it doesn't have to be Spanish for crying out loud.

She probably ate at Taco Bell for lunch.

Interesting that someone who claims to value the truth shows such little respect for it. Nowhere in the article does it specify that speaking Spanish will make anyone smarter. Not for the first time, a leftie spins a legitimate story for their own, partisan, purpose.

Perhaps 'truthmatters' (damn, that name makes me laugh) would provide evidence of any rightwing poster claiming that Americans should only speak one language.

Technically I have to disagree with you.

As scientists unlock more of the neurological secrets of the bilingual brain, they're learning that speaking more than one language may have cognitive benefits that extend from childhood into old age.

Cognitive relating to knowledge and benefits relating to improving, I'd have to say that when you get down to her level, it basically says "makes you smarter". edit: wait, let me correct that quote, "will make you smart".

Immie

Last edited:

As scientists unlock more of the neurological secrets of the bilingual brain, they're learning that speaking more than one language may have cognitive benefits that extend from childhood into old age.

Cognitive relating to knowledge and benefits relating to improving, I'd have to say that when you get down to her level, it basically says "makes you smarter". edit: wait, let me correct that quote, "will make you smart".

Immie

Where, in that article, does it specify 'Spanish'? That's my point.

I speak English, French, Gaelic, some Spanish, some German, and a smattering of Italian. No wonder I'm a smart girl!!

Russian, German or Japanese would be even better. the point to a foreign language is to see things from a totally different perspective.

Russian has six cases, German has (I think) four.
I heard that Polish has seven cases, just because they wanted to 1 up the Russians. :p

English has only three conjugations, but all the verbs seem to be irregular. (Seriously... I am working with ESL students and the lack of any real pattern in English seems cruel) Russian has six conjugations. I think this is the case with most European languages. But get a look at the Korean Conjugation table

Pretty much any time you work your brain harder, it works better. Just as folks who run a mile a day have strong legs and a strong heart, you do something intellectually challenging, your intellect improves. The brain is a muscle like any other. The harder you work it, the stronger it is.

Immie

I speak English, French, Gaelic, some Spanish, some German, and a smattering of Italian. No wonder I'm a smart girl!!

But, she didn't mean only Spanish. Cut her some slack. She needs it once in a while. You know that was not what she meant. She simply said that teaching your kids Spanish would make them smart.

Also, knowing only swear words from all those languages doesn't make you fluent. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Immie

Immie

But, she didn't mean only Spanish. Cut her some slack. She needs it once in a while. You know that was not what she meant. She simply said that teaching your kids Spanish would make them smart.

Also, knowing only swear words from all those languages doesn't make you fluent. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Immie

Is féidir liom a dhéanamh níos mó ná swear in gaeilge, et en français, und Deutsch.

* I can do more than swear in Gaelic, and in French, and German.

Last edited:
Society for Neuroscience | The Bilingual Brain

Why do you insist on making your kids fall behind teh rest of the world.

teach them spanish, teach them to be bilingual and you give them an economic edge and a brainpower boost.

Insisting on a one languge country makes us dumber

Truthmatters, you are 100% correct. Mastering any romance language not only stretches the kidlet's brain, it drives home such things are grammar and vocabulary that translate very easily into superior English skills. My only question is why limit the choices to romance languages? Why not insist the kidlet be taught Chinese, Serbian, Arabic or Hindi? Now that would make him far more employable and believe me, there are no dumb-assed English speakers who have managed to master Arabic.

शांति बाहर है, दोस्तों. (Hindi)

Translate English : English Translation

Born and Raised in Spain for 13 years, Fluent both in English and in Spanish.

So i guess, I'm set for life.

Prove it, Tom Clancy. I think you may just be bragging, he he.

Seré de casa el sábado por la noche. ¿Quiera joder?

Hey Tom Clancy, can a keyboard sold in the US make Spanish or French punctuation marks? Can you tell me how to do the ~ over the letter "n", or the Spanish question mark? Thankies.

Last edited:

Immie

Is féidir liom a dhéanamh níos mó ná swear in gaeilge, et en français, und Deutsch.

see? that one word there kills me, always had.. doooooytch..:eusa_eh:

Good for you.

I bet it has come in pleanty handy too.

its a beautiful language.

We really need to make it clear how stupid it is to INSIST American only know one language

No one insists Americans only know one language. We insist on English being our official language so as not to cause problems as we are being overrun by immigrants, both legal and illegal. And why do you think Spanish is the ONLY option for another language. Quite frankly, Japanese or Chinese will get you a better job these days. Too many Americans already speak Spanish.....making them a dime a dozen while those who speak a different second language are in higher demand.

IMO my sister in law, from Thailand should start a suit against all these companies who offer a chance to choose Spanish but no chance to choose Thai. It's discrimination is what it is, but then again, a racist like you wouldn't understand that.

Immie

German is actually pretty easy. French harder. Gaelic.... just don't go there! Complicated language.... and a nightmare to type!! :lol::lol: Also, gaelic served very little actual purpose - hardly anyone speaks it... even in Ireland or Scotland - and Scottish gaelic is different to Irish gaelic. I speak Irish gaelic.... and not that well. :lol:

I agree as well and not just a year or two in high school. We should be teaching it from kindergarten on.

This is one thing I agree with TM on. A foreign language improves the learning process.

I took three and a half years of Spanish in Junior High and High School. Now days, I can't really follow a conversation (and never could if they were speaking "Spanish fast"), but I can still read it well enough to read a paper and comprehend most of what I am reading.

The cliche--"Use it or lose it" definitely fits in regards to a non-native language.

Immie

Ya I agree Immi...the kidlet has a minor in German from her undergrad days...less than like 3 years ago. And she tells me she can no longer even read German if it is anything more than a children's book. Makes me sad, but I still think she benefitted enormously.

German is actually pretty easy. French harder. Gaelic.... just don't go there! Complicated language.... and a nightmare to type!! :lol::lol: Also, gaelic served very little actual purpose - hardly anyone speaks it... even in Ireland or Scotland - and Scottish gaelic is different to Irish gaelic. I speak Irish gaelic.... and not that well. :lol:

jo, german is easy.

jo, german is easy.

Trottel.

Ned-Gerblansky.jpg

mmmmmmmNo moleste el gato spectaularrrrrrr.

jo, german is easy.

German is easy? I think not, but okay. Good grief L.K. Eder, even Latin is hard...mebbe Gaelic is harder but all second language skills take a lot of work to master.

BTW L.K.Eder......

Ich werde in der Samstagsnacht zuhause sein. Wollen Sie bumsen? Sie bringen Ihren Affen dieses Mal, weil ich die Scheiße-Flecke aus dem Einbalsamierungsbinder bekommen habe aber ich Ihnen jetzt erzähle, wenn er wieder Amok läuft, reinige ich es allein nicht. Oh Ja, und bringen Sie bitte Pizza.

(O lookie above. Apparently in German you capitalize some words that are not proper nouns nor the first words of sentences. How odd -- I had no clue. It must drive people nutz trying to remember all the German rules for capitalization.....)

Last edited:

jo, german is easy.

German is easy? I think not, but okay. Good grief L.K. Eder, even Latin is hard...mebbe Gaelic is harder but all second language skills take a lot of work to master.

BTW L.K.Eder......

Ich werde in der Samstagsnacht zuhause sein. Wollen Sie bumsen? Sie bringen Ihren Affen dieses Mal, weil ich die Scheiße-Flecke aus dem Einbalsamierungsbinder bekommen habe aber ich Ihnen jetzt erzähle, wenn er wieder Amok läuft, reinige ich es allein nicht. Oh Ja, und bringen Sie bitte Pizza.

O lookie...In German you capitalizes words that are not proper nouns nor the first words of sentences. How odd It must drive people nutz trying to remember all the German rules for capitalization.....

nach den letzten wochen habe ich genug von interkontinentalflügen, verdammter isländischer vulkan. mein affe und die pizza bleiben hier, sorry.

ps, i am german.

Forum List

Back