Southwest airlines pilot Tammy Jo is a hero!!!

I find it is easier on me, the flight staff and the people who have to sit next to me if I am blasted on the plane. My flying blasted isn't a rowdy blasted, it is a quiet tense blasted.

My usual program is to take a 20 oz bottle of 7 up, drain about a 3rd of it, and replace with vodka. That is drunk on the cab ride to the airport.

If the bars are open at the terminal, then 1 more drink before getting on, then 1-2 drinks on the plane.

Lol - Might just be two problems with that: 1. If it's a long flight - pretty easy to dehydrate and feel even worse and 2. on arrival ya gotta call up an Uber or if you parked at the airport - drive home.

I used to get enough drink coupons from Southwest to order up double Bloody Marys - That was back when Herb Kelleher ran the place - Herb liked his cocktails.

But I do share your love of vodka ... And am happy that you've never been my pilot :wink:

I find it is easier on me, the flight staff and the people who have to sit next to me if I am blasted on the plane. My flying blasted isn't a rowdy blasted, it is a quiet tense blasted.

My usual program is to take a 20 oz bottle of 7 up, drain about a 3rd of it, and replace with vodka. That is drunk on the cab ride to the airport.

If the bars are open at the terminal, then 1 more drink before getting on, then 1-2 drinks on the plane.

Lol - Might just be two problems with that: 1. If it's a long flight - pretty easy to dehydrate and feel even worse and 2. on arrival ya gotta call up an Uber or if you parked at the airport - drive home.

I used to get enough drink coupons from Southwest to order up double Bloody Marys - That was back when Herb Kelleher ran the place - Herb liked his cocktails.

But I do share your love of vodka ... And am happy that you've never been my pilot :wink:

I never drive to or from the airport so that isn't an issue with me.

I would never fly a plane (if i ever learned to) drunk, just like I don't drive drunk.

I am more of a whiskey person in general, (and calvados), but those lead to much worse hangovers.

Not bad? It is amazing that any chick could do such a thing.

iu
That chick was born with wings & flying instinct!

Last edited:
You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

Wear the seat belt.... it stops you getting blown out of the roof and the window.

Nope not true. The woman sucked out the window was wearing her seatbelt at the time.

With all due respect, shes not a hero. She's just a well trained pilot.

She's been flying forever. Training to fly with an engine failure, as well as an explosive decompression, is normal training. There are checklists that the pilot would do to complete the landing, but a single engine landing in a plane as well designed as the 737 is really a non-event.

She flew the plane as she was trained to do. She did great, but nothing heroic. Its simple, explosive decompression get the plane below 10K feet ASAP, single engine flight is no big deal, single engine landing you just keep a bit more airspeed in case you need to go around.

I would not hesitate to congratulate her on a job well done, but hero, nah. Sully was a hero. Nobody trains you to GLIDE an airliner into a river. Flying a plane on one engine is not a big deal. She has to undergo recurrent training every 6 months for these exact situations.

What people have to remember is, as a pilot, our desire to die in that aluminum tube is about as high as yours so we're going to do everything we can to save our asses. In saving our asses, we're very likely going to be saving yours too. So don't worry, the pilot will do what they can.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back