Southwest airlines pilot Tammy Jo is a hero!!!

You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

How many tens of millions of flights have taken off over that time period where absolutely nothing has happened, but because of two incidents 30 years apart now it's all over for you? Don't be such a wuss.

Lol - I'm with you on that Bro. And Southwest? OmG, considering their size and the number of takeoffs and landings (most in the industry) - their safety record is amazing. One would be more likely to die walking across the street.

Tuesday’s death was the first in-flight fatality due to an accident in the 47-year history of Southwest. That doesn’t include a 2005 episode in which one of its jets skidded off a snowy runway in Chicago and onto a road, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car.

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the plane came apart at 30,000 ft, you don't have enough oxygen up there to keep you alive, so you will suffocate, pass out, and then die.

All before you hit the ground.

One of the fan blades broke loose
View attachment 188647

I figured a mechanic probably left a wrench sitting in front of the fan and forgot it.

I also don't see her as a "hero"....she's a competent pilot and did her job. You want a hero, how about flying a Huey with both skids shot off, your co-pilot and crew chief dead, and landing it perfectly in a cloud of dust, balanced on a pile of old tires at An Khe. Never caught his name but I never was so thankful to get out of a broken bird in my time there.

If the procedures for working on airplanes in the commercial flight business is anything like what the procedures were for working on planes in the military, then having a tool left in the engine is an extremely remote possibility. Why? Because all the tool boxes in the squadron had shadow images painted behind where they sat in the box. Part of the procedure when buttoning up the aircraft was to inventory your tools by checking there were no blank spots in your box.

That being said, this morning in one of the briefings on this accident, they said that the cause of the engine failure was because one of the blades broke off and shredded the engine. It broke because of metal fatigue. And, that is understandable because the engine goes through periods of cold and extreme heat every time they are fired up.

View attachment 188647

I figured a mechanic probably left a wrench sitting in front of the fan and forgot it.

I also don't see her as a "hero"....she's a competent pilot and did her job. You want a hero, how about flying a Huey with both skids shot off, your co-pilot and crew chief dead, and landing it perfectly in a cloud of dust, balanced on a pile of old tires at An Khe. Never caught his name but I never was so thankful to get out of a broken bird in my time there.

If the procedures for working on airplanes in the commercial flight business is anything like what the procedures were for working on planes in the military, then having a tool left in the engine is an extremely remote possibility. Why? Because all the tool boxes in the squadron had shadow images painted behind where they sat in the box. Part of the procedure when buttoning up the aircraft was to inventory your tools by checking there were no blank spots in your box.

That being said, this morning in one of the briefings on this accident, they said that the cause of the engine failure was because one of the blades broke off and shredded the engine. It broke because of metal fatigue. And, that is understandable because the engine goes through periods of cold and extreme heat every time they are fired up.
Blades failure actually happens a lot more times than the public is aware of. Unfortunately I doubt any pieces remain for metrological analysis, but what they'll do is find all of the other blades from that lot. What I am interested to hear is why the total destruction that almost took down the aircraft. Engines are designed to contain a blade shattering.

And she was a hero. A lot of us train for a crisis scenario, but you never know what you will do until it really occurs. And after listening to the audio, she did a fantastic job.

View attachment 188647

Blades failure actually happens a lot more times than the public is aware of. Unfortunately I doubt any pieces remain for metrological analysis, but what they'll do is find all of the other blades from that lot. What I am interested to hear is why the total destruction that almost took down the aircraft. Engines are designed to contain a blade shattering.

And she was a hero. A lot of us train for a crisis scenario, but you never know what you will do until it really occurs. And after listening to the audio, she did a fantastic job.

Depends on where in the engine the blade came off. If it came off in the front part of the engine and was sucked through, well..............at 30,000 rpm, there is a lot of damage that will happen quite quickly.

And, it doesn't take that big of an object to totally destroy an engine. When I was stationed with VFA-131, one of the things we did EVERY morning was FOD (Foreign Object Damage) walkdown. We stood shoulder to shoulder and walked the entire flight line in front of our hangar. We picked up anything that was on the tarmac, all the way from regular sized garbage, all the way down to stuff the size of a pea, because a small object like a penny if sucked into the engine would ruin it.

And..................don't think that a penny can't be sucked up by an engine from 6 to 10 ft. away. I've seen a training film where an entire man was sucked into the intake of an A-6. He lived, but only because he was able to put his hand on the nose of the fan, and his clothing, float coat, and cranial were sucked off and killed the engine before it got him.

He was messed up for the rest of his life though.

View attachment 188647

Depends on where in the engine the blade came off. If it came off in the front part of the engine and was sucked through, well..............at 30,000 rpm, there is a lot of damage that will happen quite quickly.

And, it doesn't take that big of an object to totally destroy an engine. When I was stationed with VFA-131, one of the things we did EVERY morning was FOD (Foreign Object Damage) walkdown. We stood shoulder to shoulder and walked the entire flight line in front of our hangar. We picked up anything that was on the tarmac, all the way from regular sized garbage, all the way down to stuff the size of a pea, because a small object like a penny if sucked into the engine would ruin it.

And..................don't think that a penny can't be sucked up by an engine from 6 to 10 ft. away. I've seen a training film where an entire man was sucked into the intake of an A-6. He lived, but only because he was able to put his hand on the nose of the fan, and his clothing, float coat, and cranial were sucked off and killed the engine before it got him.

I have seen several engines after a blade shattering. Issue is not the loss of the engine, that is a given. What is not is engines are designed to contain that failure so you don't have the shrapnel flying like it did on this flight.

And that video you refer to, his helmet got jammed in the opening saving his life.

View attachment 188647

I have seen several engines after a blade shattering. Issue is not the loss of the engine, that is a given. What is not is engines are designed to contain that failure so you don't have the shrapnel flying like it did on this flight.

And that video you refer to, his helmet got jammed in the opening saving his life.

Like I said, it could have been where the blade came loose that cause the damage. An aircraft engine is best described as a "cylinder of whirling sabers".

As far as the video goes? Yes, I already said that his cranial, float coat and shirt were stripped off of him and FOD'd the engine before he got sucked into it. Not only were we shown the video, but were also told about the accident report that went with it.

She’s a good pilot, she can fly me around. I do wish she didn’t need the tennis ball hitting the windshield to park it.

...not that big of a deal....pilots train just for this sort of thing...the plane can fly on one engine...it just seems big because it doesn't happen much
Can a plane fly with one engine? What about take off and landing? | FlightDeckFriend.com
8 Airplane Movie Myths Busted by a Pilot - KLM Blog
It isn’t just about the engine. There was damage to the aircraft which was causing instability issues. And she had to get them down safely to 10,000 feet due to decompression quickly, so they would have enough oxygen, and she could bring it in. She also called for flaps 5, which normally flaps 30 is used, due to instability issues. They had no idea how damaged the plane was or wasn’t.
obviously the plane was fine to fly and land--that's what they usually do
--it's not that amazing
amazing is landing an airplane in a RIVER--and everybody lives--that's amazing

It's called ditching and pilots are trained for it....if you can keep your nose up and the waves aren't too bad, it's quite doable. The only case of a C-130 ditching was in the 1980s and, of course, we were all very interested in how it worked out. The Columbia C-130 ditched in the Atlantic in 10 ft seas and STILL floated for over hours tho up to the wings.....those killed were those who did NOT strap in or had part of the plane smash into them on impact....all others got out....in 10 foot seas.

...not that big of a deal....pilots train just for this sort of thing...the plane can fly on one engine...it just seems big because it doesn't happen much
Can a plane fly with one engine? What about take off and landing? | FlightDeckFriend.com
It isn’t just about the engine. There was damage to the aircraft which was causing instability issues. And she had to get them down safely to 10,000 feet due to decompression quickly, so they would have enough oxygen, and she could bring it in. She also called for flaps 5, which normally flaps 30 is used, due to instability issues. They had no idea how damaged the plane was or wasn’t.
17 Images of Damaged B-17 Bombers That Miraculously Made It Home
14 more pictures in this link
and these were not modern aircraft..they had to use physical strength for flying!!
B-17_Damage_Cologne.jpg

eeebe3963b7baaec9dd049b4c39e21e2-512x640.jpg

b17visitor2.jpg
Keep in mind, prop jobs' glide ratios are much better than jet glide ratios.

and these were not modern aircraft..they had to use physical strength for flying!!
B-17_Damage_Cologne.jpg

b17visitor2.jpg

Lose both engines, and the FA-18 has the glide slope of a potato.

Press conference-the plane went into a 42.3 degree roll upon the failure. Fortunately the pilots got it righted almost immediately, according to the ntsb

Only caught the end of the questioning of the conference.

Press conference-the plane went into a 42.3 degree roll upon the failure. Fortunately the pilots got it righted almost immediately, according to the ntsb
Yeah...that's gonna happen when you lose that thrust on one side and your engine just becomes this heavy barn door. Swift and appropriate application of rudder and aileron corrects that.

B-17_Damage_Cologne.jpg

b17visitor2.jpg

Lose both engines, and the FA-18 has the glide slope of a potato.
They fly like bricks don't.

• Fan blade separated in 2 places
      5 p.m.: There was a fatigue fracture where the #13 fan blade would have gone into the engine. That was the initiating event that caused a secondary failure of the jet engine.
      (Internally that would not be visible by the eye, about half way down as well as at hub is what was said in q&a)
    • NTSB is interviewing Southwest pilots
      4:57 p.m.: NTSB is in the process of interviewing the pilots of Southwest Airlines Flight 1380.

Somalt said airline pilots are trained in engine failure, rapid decompression and emergency landings.

"The pilots seemed very calm and assured of what they were doing," Sumwalt said. "My hat is off to them ... they behaved in a matter their training prepared them for."

• "We got a long way to go"
      4:53 p.m.: Sumwalt said that this press briefing will be the last one at the scene.

He said that "we got a long way to go" and that updates on the investigation will be publicized on the NTSB website and social media accounts.

• NTSB tweets image of engine piece found by public
      4:50 p.m.: NTSB tweeted the following image showing a piece of the engine cowling from Southwest Airlines Flight 1380

Residents are finding pieces of Southwest airplane

4:46 p.m.: Sumwalt said residents in Philadelphia are finding engine pieces. They are notifying NTSB and local law official authorities they have found the components.

NTSB said they will tweet an image of a piece of engine that someone has reported finding.

• Southwest plane landed at 190 mph
    4:44 p.m.: Sumwalt said the Southwest plane landed at an airspeed of 165 knots (or 190 mph). The typical landing speed is usually 135 knots.

• NTSB chairman takes the podium
    4:42 p.m.: NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt said the plane's vibration increased after the engine blew. He said the aircraft did an uncommanded right bank roll at 41 degrees.
    NTSB says Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 landed at higher than usual speed

5 p.m.: There was a fatigue fracture where the #13 fan blade would have gone into the engine. That was the initiating event that caused a secondary failure of the jet engine.
      (Internally that would not be visible by the eye, about half way down as well as at hub is what was said in q&a)
      4:57 p.m.: NTSB is in the process of interviewing the pilots of Southwest Airlines Flight 1380.

Somalt said airline pilots are trained in engine failure, rapid decompression and emergency landings.

"The pilots seemed very calm and assured of what they were doing," Sumwalt said. "My hat is off to them ... they behaved in a matter their training prepared them for."

4:53 p.m.: Sumwalt said that this press briefing will be the last one at the scene.

He said that "we got a long way to go" and that updates on the investigation will be publicized on the NTSB website and social media accounts.

4:50 p.m.: NTSB tweeted the following image showing a piece of the engine cowling from Southwest Airlines Flight 1380

4:46 p.m.: Sumwalt said residents in Philadelphia are finding engine pieces. They are notifying NTSB and local law official authorities they have found the components.

NTSB said they will tweet an image of a piece of engine that someone has reported finding.

4:44 p.m.: Sumwalt said the Southwest plane landed at an airspeed of 165 knots (or 190 mph). The typical landing speed is usually 135 knots.

4:42 p.m.: NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt said the plane's vibration increased after the engine blew. He said the aircraft did an uncommanded right bank roll at 41 degrees.
Yeah, you keep that landing speed up to keep effective air flow over the wings and flight control surfaces.....

Thanks, bodecea. I just heard from time of the failure to landing was 22 minutes. There are cowl and engines parts being found about 70 miles nw of the airport. They were able to see them falling on radar by the Ntsb mets.

Yeah, you keep that landing speed up to keep effective air flow over the wings and flight control surfaces.....

Forum List

Back