Southwest airlines pilot Tammy Jo is a hero!!!

You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

Now window seats? Guess I'm gonna have to start driving or taking a train.

How many tens of millions of flights have taken off over that time period where absolutely nothing has happened, but because of two incidents 30 years apart now it's all over for you? Don't be such a wuss.

Lol - I'm with you on that Bro. And Southwest? OmG, considering their size and the number of takeoffs and landings (most in the industry) - their safety record is amazing. One would be more likely to die walking across the street.

Tuesday’s death was the first in-flight fatality due to an accident in the 47-year history of Southwest. That doesn’t include a 2005 episode in which one of its jets skidded off a snowy runway in Chicago and onto a road, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car.

You know, after I saw this and heard that a woman was almost pulled through the window, I'm gonna rethink my stand on window seats as well.

Hawaii Air Lines ruined first class for me when I saw the roof get torn off of it's first class section of the jet.

How many tens of millions of flights have taken off over that time period where absolutely nothing has happened, but because of two incidents 30 years apart now it's all over for you? Don't be such a wuss.

Lol - I'm with you on that Bro. And Southwest? OmG, considering their size and the number of takeoffs and landings (most in the industry) - their safety record is amazing. One would be more likely to die walking across the street.

Tuesday’s death was the first in-flight fatality due to an accident in the 47-year history of Southwest. That doesn’t include a 2005 episode in which one of its jets skidded off a snowy runway in Chicago and onto a road, killing a 6-year-old boy in a car.

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

Good job...but I am never sitting by a window near a wing again..

Redirect Notice

SHE'S A HERO'
Southwest Airlines’ pilot Tammie Jo Shults who calmly landed plane after jet engine blew up at 32,000ft and passenger ‘sucked out’

She quickly and calmly brought the stricken plane into land at Philadelphia International at a rapid descent of 3,000ft per minute

View attachment 188621
What other choice did she have? Panic, scream, claw and scratch her face fall down crying on the flight deck and wail for her mommy? And 5 minutes later, she's still sitting right where she is! ;) Hero and all.

Now you know how fronts move into an area! Congratulations! A high pressure area rapidly moves to a lower pressure area!

My fear of flying has mostly to do with my lack of control of the situation, and the lack of knowing what can or is going to happen. I have the utmost faith in the machine itself and in the pilots, but my greatest fear has always been a 10 minute death plunge from altitude.

That being said I do fly at least 1-2 times a year, I just get drunk before I get on the plane.

And that doesn't stop me from watching Air Disasters religiously (just not in the two weeks before I am going to fly)

Which begs the question: Do you have the same apprehension getting in the back seat of a car, a bus, a train, a boat?

Not in control there either, and the risks are far higher.

To be sucked through a broken window....in an airplane....

can not think of a worst nightmare :eek-52: :shock:
I expect the near-500 mph wind rendered her unconscious pretty quickly.

but apparently she survived....she was sucked....then unsucked....

and she was there to tell the story
I thought she was the lone victim??
They were saying that the one death was a heart attack.

But I'm guessing the window went out because of a thrown engine blade...might have also hit a passenger.

Which begs the question: Do you have the same apprehension getting in the back seat of a car, a bus, a train, a boat?

Sure, but there is something comforting about traveling closer to the ground. You can't just drop out of the sky. If you have an accident on plane and the plane crashes, then you are pretty much guaranteed to die. People can survive accidents that occur on the ground thankfully.

A car I'm driving? No, I'm in control. bus and trains in my mind most people survive those even in bad accidents.

As for a boat, I float like a cork.

I am fully aware my fear of flying is 100% irrational, it probably also has to do with my fear of heights.

Sure, but there is something comforting about traveling closer to the ground. You can't just drop out of the sky. If you have an accident on plane and the plane crashes, then you are pretty much guaranteed to die. People can survive accidents that occur on the ground thankfully.

Most air incidents are also very survivable, it's just that when the cascade of failure in an airplane reaches a certain point, it's usually a total failure.

A car I'm driving? No, I'm in control. bus and trains in my mind most people survive those even in bad accidents.

As for a boat, I float like a cork.

I am fully aware my fear of flying is 100% irrational, it probably also has to do with my fear of heights.

Me too. Lol. I am not a fan of heights. Didn't seem to bother me quite as much when I was a kid, but now I would rather keep my feet on the ground. :D

Most air incidents are also very survivable, it's just that when the cascade of failure in an airplane reaches a certain point, it's usually a total failure.

"Incidents" maybe but not crashes. Most of the time, if the plane crashes, you are going to die with everyone else on board. Maybe bring a parachute? :D

"Incidents" maybe but not crashes. Most of the time, if the plane crashes, you are going to die with everyone else on board. Maybe bring a parachute? :D

Parachutes won't work on commercial jets, too much speed, too many untrained people, not the right doors to exit the plane at altitude.

And even some of the worst crashes can be survivable, but yes, most of the bad ones are with "all lost aboard"

In hindsight, back of the bus would have sounded pretty good!

Parachutes won't work on commercial jets, too much speed, too many untrained people, not the right doors to exit the plane at altitude.

And even some of the worst crashes can be survivable, but yes, most of the bad ones are with "all lost aboard"
Put the parachute on, jump out the door, and have the 300 mph wind drive your body smack dab into the the stabilizer! ;) People were saying years ago when the space shuttle burned up on reentry, that maybe the people on board would have parachutes. I dunno something about a 12000 mph wind came to mind.

Put the parachute on, jump out the door, and have the 300 mph wind drive your body smack dab into the the stabilizer! ;)

or the engine, or the wing, or just roll along the side of the airplane.

Forum List

Back