Soundtrack to "Pulp Fiction"

musicman

Mar 3, 2004
Ohio
Are there any fans of the movie "Pulp Fiction" who are also knowledgeable about those great early sixties guitar instrumentals?

There's a piece of music in the movie that didn't make it to the soundtrack CD, and I'm going crazy trying to find it. Can anyone help me?

Huge fan of the soundtrack, and pretty much knowledgable about every aspect of the movie, to a nerdy degree! I can more than likely help you out, what song are you talking about?

Originally posted by Dan
Huge fan of the soundtrack, and pretty much knowledgable about every aspect of the movie, to a nerdy degree! I can more than likely help you out, what song are you talking about?

Great movie, isn't it? That one, "Office Space", and "This is Spinal Tap" are movies that I can watch over and over and still enjoy every time.

The song in question is played after Travolta and Thurman are seated in that weird 50's restaurant. It's a slow shuffle with a walking bass, and the guitarist uses a heavy, fast vibrato. I think it's the second coolest song in the movie, after the opening theme, "Misirlou". I was really disappointed that it didn't make the soundtrack CD.

They list all the songs in the closing credits, but - bad luck for me- in no particular order. Thanks for the reply. I'll look forward to hearing back from you.

P.S., Just curious-which character do you think had the best line in the movie?

Hmmm... Let me check my DVD tomorrow morning and I'll let you know on the song. I remember liking that one as well.

P.S., Just curious-which character do you think had the best line in the movie?

Good God! That's a tough one! Hmmm, I know this is lame, but I'm really a fan of the Ezekiel 25:17 monologue. One line that always makes me laugh is when Lance is explaining to Vincent how to give the adrenaline shot and he brings his hand down three times and Vincent says "I gotta stab her three times?" And of course "I'm gonna get medieval on your ass", even though that's been ruined by countless ripoffs. And when Vincent tells Jules he's supposed to take care of Mia while Marcellus is gone and Jules makes a gun with his hand: "take care of her???" God, I can't narrow it down to just one.

OK, musicman, I'm fairly sure that the song you're thinking of is Link Wray's "Rumble". Check it out and let me know.

Originally posted by Dan
OK, musicman, I'm fairly sure that the song you're thinking of is Link Wray's "Rumble". Check it out and let me know.

You're absolutely right, Dan. Thanks a million. You rule!

Those lines are great (sure as hell nothing lame about Ezekiel).
Two of my favorites:

Harvey Keitel (as Mr. Wolfe) asks John Travolta, nicely, to clean the car.

Amanda Plummer (as Honey-Bunny) tells John Travolta to shut up. Great comedic timing-I fell out!

Again, thanks for the help. Look forward to chatting with you again soon.

Originally posted by Dan

Sorry Dan, the preceding post was actually by me, Musicman. Joz didn't realize she had already logged on when she sent it.

No problem, musicman! Glad I could help out. I have a similar question for everyone that's probably going to be a lot harder to answer: What is the name of the song that plays at the end of the trailer for the movie 'Permanent Midnight'? It starts just after Ben Stiller's quip about having a "habit the size of Utah". I'm not even sure where to find that trailer on the 'Net, but if someone finds this out for me, I will repay them very, very handsomely!

Amanda Plummer (as Honey-Bunny) tells John Travolta to shut up. Great comedic timing-I fell out!

That entire scene (up to the injection) is pure comedy gold! Not that I know any drug dealers, but that's exactly how I could see the average person(s) reacting to someone showing up at their doorstep (or rather, driving into it:D ) with an OD victim.

Here's a good Pulp question for you: what do you think was in the briefcase?

Also, did you see any of Tarantino's other movies? What did you think of those?

A guitarist friend was raving to me about that Wray song a few years back and I never got around to checking it out. Now would be just as good a time as any. :)

Sheesh, I wasn't planning on making a career out of waiting for this one little shit-ass song to download. :wtf:

Originally posted by SinisterMotives
Sheesh, I wasn't planning on making a career out of waiting for this one little shit-ass song to download. :wtf:

Our computer service has been down all week. Sorry so long in answering.

Did you have any luck downloading "Rumble"? I love those old 60's guitar instrumentals.

Originally posted by musicman
Our computer service has been down all week. Sorry so long in answering.

Did you have any luck downloading "Rumble"? I love those old 60's guitar instrumentals.

I ended up with two copies, actually. And if you like those old instrumentals, you should check out Danny Gatton's performance of "Harlem Nocturne" from the 1990s using vintage Teles, Strats, and a Hammond organ with rotating speaker.

Originally posted by SinisterMotives
I ended up with two copies, actually. And if you like those old instrumentals, you should check out Danny Gatton's performance of "Harlem Nocturne" from the 1990s using vintage Teles, Strats, and a Hammond organ with rotating speaker.

Thanks. Will do. I've got a Danny Gatton instructional video. Not much help, though. Either he's too fast or I'm too slow. It's fun to listen to him talk. He's just down home folks.

Originally posted by Dan

Here's a good Pulp question for you: what do you think was in the briefcase?

At a guess, I'd say gold. But we never really find out. Kind of reminds me of the excellent Robert DeNiro film, "Ronin". All that grief over a case, and we never find out what's in it.

I also dug "Reservoir Dogs", and "Four Rooms". Great stuff!

Forum List

Back