what ya think about

Johnney

Dec 9, 2003
IOWA
Joe Satriani?
i got a mpg of a private concert or something (surfing with the alien). it rocks

Originally posted by Johnney
Joe Satriani?
i got a mpg of a private concert or something (surfing with the alien). it rocks

Never heard of him until Sir Evil turned me onto him a few years back. Definitely one of the best guitarists I've ever heard!

Steve vai is another awesome player! i downloaded the audience is listening last night. i dont know why i own the cd...lol

but yes he joe is very awesome. ive played that video i dont know how many times.

see jim, hes another bald guy too!

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Satch is a awesome player! Did you know that he was the guitar teacher of several famous musicians including Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet (mettalica)

My son teaches guitar & I'm also the other half of Musicman (drummer, 35 yrears) so I'm well aware of the awsomeness of Satriani. You'd be surprised at the number of people I come across who doesn't know who he or Vai are.

My own preference leans towards Vai & Eric Johnson. Satriani's "Alien" is too 'out there' for me. Since you like guitar as much as you seem to, try some Danny Gatton, Gambale, or Adrian Legg. Gambale & Legg are Aussies. I really like Legg. Another one might be Duarte. I think he's from Texas. Just tho't I'd pass this along.

You'd be surprised at the number of people I come across who doesn't know who he or Vai are
your kidding right?
well i guess the newer generation wouldnt be as apt to know vai, satriani, malmsteen and the likes. unless they are into music alot or musicians

Originally posted by Joz
My son teaches guitar & I'm also the other half of Musicman (drummer, 35 yrears) so I'm well aware of the awsomeness of Satriani. You'd be surprised at the number of people I come across who doesn't know who he or Vai are.

My own preference leans towards Vai & Eric Johnson. Satriani's "Alien" is too 'out there' for me. Since you like guitar as much as you seem to, try some Danny Gatton, Gambale, or Adrian Legg. Gambale & Legg are Aussies. I really like Legg. Another one might be Duarte. I think he's from Texas. Just tho't I'd pass this along.
which Duarte would that be? i found a few different ones in kazaa

which Duarte would that be? i found a few different ones in kazaa

Chris Duarte. Has a real foxxy wife.

your kidding right?
well i guess the newer generation wouldnt be as apt to know vai, satriani, malmsteen and the likes. unless they are into music alot or musicians

I'm probably old enough to be your mother. I'm talking about all different ages, really. Even people who claim to be 'well informed'. But then, too, these guys think I'm just a dumb broad.

You know, I hate to say this since I'm a big music buff as well as a guitarist, but I don't think I've ever heard any of these people, except for John Sykes (thanks for the CD, Sir Evil!). I need to check some of this stuff out.

Satriani smokes!

Other favorite guitar players: Robben Ford, Johnny A, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Sheppard and of course, the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan. I realy adore bluesy rocking music

Dan,
I am a little more into the rock than some of the others, and I know you are too so this will suit you well!:D Rock On Young Brother!:cool:
im into real rock, not this shit they want to call rock now days.

Johnney - there are still plenty of bands that rock. One of my new favorites is Jet from Australia.

Check out Do You Wanna Be My Girl.

It smokes!

You're correct in that we don't have the big arena bands of the 70s and 80s - the best guitar work these days, imo, is in the blues category.

But were are the real soaring guitars in rock today? Jet is a great band for this era, but I miss the awesome guitar solos of the eighties and beyond! Yeah Johnney, you rock dude!:cool:
:beer:
they dont make em like they used too...lol

and WW, i do listen to the occasion blues now and then. i like it and all, but i have to be in the mood for it.

the best guitar work these days, imo, is in the blues category.

OK, I'm about to have to hand in my music fan and musician cards by saying this, but here goes...

I hate blues. There's a very small group of people doing something different with it, but for the most part, it all sounds exactly the same as it has for the past 80 years. Same exact chords and everything. Also, I think blues soloists are overrated, anybody can slap up a penatonic scale over an A-D-E-A riff and make it sound awesome.

You're correct in that we don't have the big arena bands of the 70s and 80s

I know we've talked about them already, but I really think The Darkness, once you get past the singer, is a really great rock band in the vein of the 80's big arena bands. Listen to "Holding My Own" and tell me that doesn't make you want to throw some devil horns in the air.

Forum List

Back