Sotomayor in her own words.

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
The best way to form an opinion about Judge Sotomayor is to get to know her through her own words. What I've learned so far convinces me that she doesn't need to be a Supreme Court Justice.

Sotomayor quotes:

"Frank’s thesis . . . supports a pride that lawyers can take in what they do and how they do it. The law can change its direction entirely, as when Brown v. Board of Education overturned Plessy v. Ferguson, or as the common law has gradually done by altering the standards of products liability law directly contrary to the originally restricted view that instructed “caveat emptor.” As these cases show, change—sometimes radical change—can and does occur in a legal system that serves a society whose social policy itself changes. It is our responsibility to explain to the public how an often unpredictable system of justice is one that serves a productive, civilized, but always evolving, society."

Supreme Court Nominee Sonia Sotomayor in Her Own Words » The Foundry

Ah, yes, Plessy v Ferguson, the decision that made famous the doctrine of "separate but equal."

Like when the POTUS sets aside a SCOTUS position for a woman and/or a minority only.

from the article:

"Judge [Miriam] Cedarbaum [of the federal District Court in New York]… believes that judges must transcend their personal sympathies and prejudices and aspire to achieve a greater degree of fairness and integrity based on the reason of law. Although I agree with and attempt to work toward Judge Cedarbaum’s aspiration, I wonder whether achieving that goal is possible in all or even in most cases. And I wonder whether by ignoring our differences as women or men of color we do a disservice both to the law and society. Whatever the reasons… we may have different perspectives, either as some theorists suggest because of our cultural experiences or as others postulate because we have basic differences in logic and reasoning…."

Apparently Judge Sotomayor doesn't truly believe that it's possible to not let race influence judicial decisions.

I think Miss Hispanic Supremacist might have some trouble here, but Republicans are such fucking cowards they probably won't ask tough questions...

I think Miss Hispanic Supremacist might have some trouble here, but Republicans are such fucking cowards they probably won't ask tough questions...

For the time being, Republicans have been snookered into thinking no one will like them unless they act like Democrats.

For the time being, Republicans have been snookered into thinking no one will like them unless they act like Democrats.
you also have the threat that anyone that opposes her in any way will be branded a racist by the media

Forum List

Back