General Petraeus supports closing Gitmo and ending torture

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
As you know, General, the debate over Guantanamo and enhanced interrogation techniques has become "Topic A" in Washington. In your view, does the closing of "Gitmo" and the abandonment of those techniques complicate the U.S. mission in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in the overall struggle against violent transnational extremist groups or does it help it?

Petraeus: I think, on balance, that those moves help it. In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

With respect to Guantanamo, I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the attorney general the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward.

But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees.
Transcript: RFE/RL Interviews U.S. Central Command Chief, General David Petraeus - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

Petraeus has always seemed to me to be a strategist more than a politician. The approach he made to the tribal militias is the reason why the surge worked. It's gonna be funny watching the sadists throw him under a bus.

As you know, General, the debate over Guantanamo and enhanced interrogation techniques has become "Topic A" in Washington. In your view, does the closing of "Gitmo" and the abandonment of those techniques complicate the U.S. mission in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in the overall struggle against violent transnational extremist groups or does it help it?

Petraeus: I think, on balance, that those moves help it. In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

With respect to Guantanamo, I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the attorney general the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward.

But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees.
Transcript: RFE/RL Interviews U.S. Central Command Chief, General David Petraeus - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

You were waving the General "Betrayus" flag a few years ago fag ....... :rolleyes:

You were waving the General "Betrayus" flag a few years ago fag ....... :rolleyes:

:lol:

I support ending torture too Chris. But the US Constitution provides you freedom to say whatever you want no matter how torturous it is. And I am more than willing to suffer that to perserve our freedom.

Now seriously, when we start torturing people, Ill be the first to say we should stop. But I think its pointless to stop what we haven't started.

Why are you so obsessed with gay sex?

Latent tendencies prehaps?

Correctly labeling you as a flip flopping cocksucker has nothing to do with my sexual preference........ :eusa_whistle:

why are you so stupid? dropped on your head as a child perhaps?

Correctly labeling you as a flip flopping cocksucker has nothing to do with my sexual preference........ :eusa_whistle:

Thanks for proving my point!

Like you ever have one.... :rolleyes:

Now tell us why you're supporting the General when you were condemning him before ? ......:lol::eusa_whistle:

I never condemned him before.

Nice try at changing the subject, though.

Always attack the person when you have no facts on your side.

Thanks for proving my point!

Like you ever have one.... :rolleyes:

Now tell us why you're supporting the General when you were condemning him before ? ......:lol::eusa_whistle:

I never condemned him before.

Nice try at changing the subject, though.

Always attack the person when you have no facts on your side.

you piss in veterans' faces in general. Why should we think you respect Petraeus, you yellow anti-american piece of shit.

Petraeus has always seemed to me to be a strategist more than a politician. The approach he made to the tribal militias is the reason why the surge worked. It's gonna be funny watching the sadists throw him under a bus.

Even funnier is watching you lefties flog this dead horse. Patraeus is a smart man and he is entitled to his opinion. At least his opinion is better than the misleading thread title and partisan quack barb at the end of YOUR post.

Nowhere does he "call for" the closing of GTMO. He's smart enough to know that since the left has spent years turning "GTMO" into a dirty word that the name itself is a lightning rod for controversy throughout the world and closing the detainee camp there and moving it elsewhere would at least diffuse that particular word.

Patraeus also does not "call for an end to torture" in GTMO. Last I checked, what the left is slinging around as "torture" -- waterboarding -- was used in 3 instances and has not been used in several years, so the statement itself misleads readers to believe the practice is still being used. In other words, it's a lie.

He advocates using interrogation techniques that are in line with the Geneva Convention.

Matter of fact, minus the OPs obvious and lame attempts to mislead, I don't see where Patraeus is saying anything that any other responsible person would not say.

I bet he's going to replace Gates next year.

He's not waving anyone's flag but his own. The article does not support his partisan, misleading thread title.

Ain't it the truth.

Name an active duty general who did not buy what the Commander-In-Chief was selling.

OK, besides Patton.

Excuse me ... explain how how having an opinion that the US should act responsibly is anything but coincidental to what the CinC is selling?

And that was MacArthur, not Patton that got into a public duel with Truman.:rolleyes:

Having an opinion is one thing, publicly dressing down the CinC is another.

Don't hold your breath for Gen. Petraeus to diss the Boy King in public.

He'll pretty much toe the line, no?

Having an opinion is one thing, publicly dressing down the CinC is another.

Don't hold your breath for Gen. Petraeus to diss the Boy King in public.

He'll pretty much toe the line, no?

What's your point? Commander-in-Chief: Head of all US armed forces. It is the General's job to carry out the wishes of the Nation, as directed by the CinC.

No one in the military has the right to publicly "dress down" anyone, superior or subordinate.

Your strawman isn't selling. It presumes that Patraeus does not agree with the CinC in private but is agreeing with him publicly. There is no evidence to support such a conclusion.

The fact that you don't like Obama so are willing to cast aspersions on Patraeus for having an opinion that somewhat or wholly agrees with him reflects nothing on Patraeus, but it it DOES reflect YOUR partisanship.

Look at the OP. What does Patraeus ACTUALLY say? That he agrees with closing the detainee camp at GTMO in a responsible manner. I fail to see what the issue is.

Perhaps rather than having little more to say than launching partisan personal attacks, you could explain just what that issue is?

Forum List

Back