Songs that remind you of your teen years.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
My mother took me to a Santana concert at an outdoor theater in Ohio when I was 12 years old, and a few others like CSNY, The Carpenters and Beach Boys, then in 1975 at 15, I went to the first concert 'on my own' with some friends-- Blue Öyster Cult in Akron Ohio and Rush a few weeks after that. By the end of high school, having worked at the Coliseum in Richfield ( former home of the Cavs ) for 2 years, I've seen almost every rock band from that era - Aerosmith and ACDC to Zappa and Led Zeppelin, so all that stuff brings back tons of memories for me. ( now when you listen to "Classic Rock" stations, you know what audience they're targeting.

I've always liked jazz fusion too. Al D, Steve Gadd, Stanley C, Larry C, Rit , Spyro, Hiroshima,Tom Scott, Chick Corea

Last edited:
When I was 15 years old in 1976, I bought my first kilo of commercial Mexican for dirt cheap.
This was the start of my own 'business' :26: that lasted several years.
I was lucky I never got busted but I sure made a lot of $$$$$.
Smokin' ........ tokin'

We're gonna play you a song, a little bit of rock-n-roll
You gotta let yourself go, the band's gonna take control
We're gettin' off today
We'll pick you up and take you away
Get down tonight
Smokin', smokin'
We're cookin' tonight, just keep on tokin'
Smokin', Smokin'
I feel alright, mamma I'm not jokin', yeah
Get your feet to the floor, everybody rock and roll
You've got nothing to lose just the rhythm and blues, that's all, yeah
We're gonna feel ok
Get down tonight
Smokin', Smokin'
Smokin', Smokin'
Everyone's jumpin', dancin' to the boogie tonight
Clap your hands, move your feet
If you don't you know it won't seem right
We're gettin' off today
Get down tonight
We're gettin' off today
We'll pick you up take you away
Get down tonight, well alright

When I was 15 years old in 1976, I bought my first kilo of commercial Mexican for dirt cheap.
Smokin' ........ tokin'
My best friend's older brother was in the Army stationed in Germany, and he used to cruise up to Amsterdam and buy kilos of hashish then mailed it back to us, right to his house, around a half kilo at a time. All different kinds of killer Lebonese, Afghani, Nepalese - you name it we were selling little grams in foil for $5 a piece. The real good old days.

I saw Boston open for Black Sabbath in 78.

:113:

Smokin' ........ tokin'
My best friend's older brother was in the Army stationed in Germany, and he used to cruise up to Amsterdam and buy kilos of hashish then mailed it back to us, right to his house, around a half kilo at a time. All different kinds of killer Lebonese, Afghani, Nepalese - you name it we were selling little grams in foil for $5 a piece. The real good old days.

I saw Boston open for Black Sabbath in 78.

:113:

there was a period of time when we had an over abundant supply of Lebanese blonde hash; it was about 1" thick slabs with the with the burlap markings impressed into both sides. It lasted for weeks & it got to the point that a I had what I thought was gonna be a permanent sore throat from smoking so much hash. I was so glad when that shit was all smoked up & gone.

there was a period of time when we had an over abundant supply of Lebanese blonde hash; it was about 1" thick slabs with the with the burlap markings impressed into both sides. It lasted for weeks & it got to the point that a I had what I thought was gonna be a permanent sore throat from smoking so much hash. I was so glad when that shit was all smoked up & gone.
My girlfriend's mom made brownies a lot .

Songs that remind me of my youth? Lots of stuff from The Cars (Candy-O), The Clash (ANYTHING that Mick Jones had a hand in).

When I got older and was in the Navy, Aerosmith was one of my favorites, but my absolute favorite was Steppenwolf. I remember being stationed in Memphis in the mid 80's, and Steppenwolf came to Memphis, but they had to cancel their concert because the lead singer was sick.

HOWEVER........................

A couple of months later, (and apparently after a lot of letters from military people), Steppenwolf decided to do a concert on the base for all the Navy people there. Best part? The concert I was going to go to in Memphis was 30 or 40 bucks, and when they cancelled, I got my money back. When they did the concert on the base a month or so later? They did the concert for 5 bucks a head. I got to stand right in front of the stage, and it was an EXCELLENT concert. My 2 favorite songs?

1082.jpg

My mom had this album....probably the first hard rock I ever heard.

Then, there is this song that I first heard when I was about 5 or so. I loved the song, but because there were no lyrics to it, it was kinda hard to find. I only heard it when my stepbrothers were playing it, and when my mom divorced him, I lost the name of the song.

It haunted me all my years, and I always was on the lookout for it, but never heard it again, until 2007, when it appeared on the show Supernatural. I looked up the show title, checked out the playlist, and finally found the song. Give it a click, you might enjoy it as well.

This live recording sounded so good, this is the version you usually heard on the radio over the years. ( actually this isn't it--they may have pulled that one for copyrights )

Last edited:
My mother took me to a Santana concert at an outdoor theater in Ohio when I was 12 years old, and a few others like CSNY, The Carpenters and Beach Boys, then in 1975 at 15, I went to the first concert 'on my own' with some friends-- Blue Öyster Cult in Akron Ohio and Rush a few weeks after that. By the end of high school, having worked at the Coliseum in Richfield ( former home of the Cavs ) for 2 years, I've seen almost every rock band from that era - Aerosmith and ACDC to Zappa and Led Zeppelin, so all that stuff brings back tons of memories for me. ( now when you listen to "Classic Rock" stations, you know what audience they're targeting.

I've always liked jazz fusion too. Al D, Steve Gadd, Stanley C, Larry C, Rit , Spyro, Hiroshima,Tom Scott, Chick Corea

Your mother was way cooler than mine. I had to sneak to do such things. She would have shit if she had found out I ran the lights for a Greatfull Dead cover band when I was in high school. Have you ever heard some one say they wish they knew what they now when they were young. Well I was in and out of bars with the band at a young age. I knew then what most know now. I use to tell her I was staying at Mikes house for the week end. Mikes dad was a cop they never even checked.

Smokin' ........ tokin'

We're gonna play you a song, a little bit of rock-n-roll
You gotta let yourself go, the band's gonna take control
We're gettin' off today
Get down tonight
Smokin', smokin'
Smokin', Smokin'
Get your feet to the floor, everybody rock and roll
You've got nothing to lose just the rhythm and blues, that's all, yeah
We're gonna feel ok
Get down tonight
Smokin', Smokin'
Smokin', Smokin'
Everyone's jumpin', dancin' to the boogie tonight
Clap your hands, move your feet
If you don't you know it won't seem right
We're gettin' off today
Get down tonight
We're gettin' off today
We'll pick you up take you away
Get down tonight, well alright

I had a motor cycle that had a tape player on it and that was the only cassette I owned for a minute as I had spent my wad on the motor cycle and loose women. Love that album.

This was my theme song most my child hood. I had an over abunance of energy which some times got me into some trouble. There were more than a few out to crucify me during that time. Never happened though thanks to a walking mountain named Mike that was normally with in a few feet of me. We caused more trouble than most. Good times!

Then, there is this song that I first heard when I was about 5 or so. I loved the song, but because there were no lyrics to it, it was kinda hard to find. I only heard it when my stepbrothers were playing it, and when my mom divorced him, I lost the name of the song.

It haunted me all my years, and I always was on the lookout for it, but never heard it again, until 2007, when it appeared on the show Supernatural. I looked up the show title, checked out the playlist, and finally found the song. Give it a click, you might enjoy it as well.

Arghhhhhhhhh!!! THAT SONG FUCKING ROCKS!!!! THE SINGING! JAN AKKERMAN ON THE GUITAR!!!

LOVE IT! I'D GIVE YOU 10 STARTS IF I COULD

they also have a song with a girls name, I forget

Sylvia!

I had a thing for this chick! That hair,those lips,that body and those eyes and just cool about the way she went about out. I wanted to comfort for the loss of a friend in a bad way!

Forum List

Back