Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
life just sucks for a time...just a time

sometimes it gets overwelming

sometimes you're so busy caring for others you can't care for yourself...

If that's you then...

what do you need?

Bestest

cats-purr-2.jpeg

th

th

th

A few years ago, my sister and I were reminiscing on some of the horrid traumatic shit that we dealt with while growing up. I'll spare details, as I've posted some of it before. Plus, I'm out of whisky. :D

Anyhow, it suddenly dawned on me the beauty of it. A macabre sort of beauty? I forget how I described it to her. Maybe it was the fact that those experiences partly define us as who we are today.
The fact that we somehow absorbed or internalized it through survival instinct? Maybe it's that we rose above it, or held on to our most basic of wits which signified our strength.

But what really blew me away was that she understood me and agreed. It was a fucking watershed moment for me.

I am a caretaker by nature. Nothing virtuous, it is just the way I am wired. It does not mean I do not get tired and worn down. I know how to say no to a possible situation where I am being taken advantage of. I just like to make people happy. Sometimes that role is thrust upon my shoulders for various reasons and it really takes a toll out on me.

My son's teacher recently had a severe viral infection and I made some soup for her it took five hours to make, but she has done so many wonderful things for my boy I just wanted to help her feel better.

Short term I go swimming, lift weights or get a massage. Long term I plan once per year to go to Australia. I feel energized and refreshed to face another year of taking care of others.

A few years ago, my sister and I were reminiscing on some of the horrid traumatic shit that we dealt with while growing up. I'll spare details, as I've posted some of it before. Plus, I'm out of whisky. :D

Anyhow, it suddenly dawned on me the beauty of it. A macabre sort of beauty? I forget how I described it to her. Maybe it was the fact that those experiences partly define us as who we are today.
The fact that we somehow absorbed or internalized it through survival instinct? Maybe it's that we rose above it, or held on to our most basic of wits which signified our strength.

But what really blew me away was that she understood me and agreed. It was a fucking watershed moment for me.

We had another thread awhile back that evolved into reflections of life growing up. It's surprising (almost) at how traumatized many of us were.

Our past does define us, some are more sensitive than others but as hard things were, I'd bet it made you stronger. Not that I'd recommend raising your kids using scaring the shit out of them as a parenting strategy.

Our kids benefitted from our painful childhoods, we all turned out to be loving and nurturing. All of us, strong and professional women. We all knew what we didn't want to be.

Good thread, it opened a couple of you up in a surprising way. :)

I am not a caretaker by nature, I tend to be more of an observer, and do more things alone than in company. But I've often find myself forced into that role and it's an awkward fit for me. But, like a lot roles I resist or dislike, I think it has helped me grow as a person. Kicking and screaming at times...but likely for the better :)

Forum List

Back