Wow! Ain't This The Truth! (For us old timers)

I remember getting up in the morning and dying to get outside. I was fortunate enough to live in a cul-de-sac right by a wilderness area. A railroad track ran really close to my house and we would hop the fence that separated my street from the track and the wilderness area and watch the train close up. Sometimes we would put a penny on the track to see what it would look like all smashed up.

Not far away was a rock crusher with a huge pile of sand used for cement companies and the like. We weren't supposed to get on that company's property but we did it all the time anyway. We would run up that huge sand pile and then roll down. Sometimes, the company guard would drive by and chase us off of the property. He would actually get out of his truck and run after us. LOL. It was fun!

I would often take my BB gun out into the riverbed near that rock crusher. There was a bridge built over the riverbed for the train to go over. My friends and I would spend the day plinking at various targets with our BB guns. I started out with a lever action Daisy then got a Benjamin air rifle when I got older.

In that general area was a basin that sometimes held water but would usually dry up in the summer. We would take our Schwinn Stingray bicycles out there and blaze new trails through the brush. Along the edge of the dried up pond were some hills that we would ride down. The most daring of us would ride down the really high and steep, dirt hills. The more timid would watch and cheer. I was one of the daring ones and would probably do it again today if I still lived there.

Like the video states, we were outside all day long and couldn't get enough of it. When it got dark and we went back to our neighborhood we would play hide-n-seek on Friday and Saturday nights. My dad wouldn't call me home until around 9:00PM. We NEVER had to worry about gangs or drugs or government curfews, etc. What a great period of history to live in (if you were a kid).

Last edited:
He forgot how we all went trick or treating and ate all our candy. :lol:

Great vid, hon. Thanks for sharing it. :)

Forum List

Back