Something is Wrong with my Old Cat

Has he had all his rabies vaccine? Sometimes people don't get their indoor pets vaccinated. But other animals can carry rabies and infect your cat. I have other cats and various animals come to the door and bump noses with my cat. That is all it takes.

Also, has he been checked for urinary tract problems?

Maybe he is just old and it's time to die. Animals will stop eating when that time comes. We had a horse that did that and I had to have her put down.

He hasn't had a rabbies vaccine in years and years. Actually, until we got Finn I had no idea rabbies shots were mandatory for cats. The dogs are always up to date, Finn (little cat) has all his shots. Shadow would no more bump noses with a cat that came up to the door/window than fly to the moon. He'd rip the screen apart, he's not a fan of other cats. I keep everything closed downstairs most of the time anyway. Too hot and muggy. He's peeing just fine so I don't think it's a uti.

He ate a bit more last night but he's not at all back to where he should be. I did manage to get his first dose of oral anti-nausea med into him ... oh, that was fun. :doubt: Hoping maybe today he gets more food into him, although yesterday he ate more than he had in the past three days.

Oh shoot, forgot to add that info. Yeah, they just did a 'senior' blood panel about six weeks ago and all results were fine. I was expecting that to show some kind of kidney issue but all the numbers were good.

He did manage to get about another 1/4 tspn of food into him and he was drinking some water and so far has kept it down. My daughter is picking up a jar of chicken baby food to see if maybe he'll lick that. I'm wondering if maybe he has a sore tooth or maybe a canker sore -- do cats even get them? They did look at his mouth the best they could but he is, uh ...let's just say he's the original grumpy cat and on a good day he wouldn't let the vet near him with a ten foot pole. If they had to sedate him some to get a good look in his mouth I'd be fine with that. He was purring for a bit and gave me some head butts. His being so wobbly earlier ... might that be from being dehydrated (although they gave him fluids yesterday) or from the throwing up? Dizzy maybe?

Your cat probably has the flu. Pets may get the flu more often than thought | Fox News

I was thinking at first it was liver disease, but you said his blood work was negative.

Best thing to do is keep him hydrated because if you don't his kidneys will shut down. That means giving him an I.V. if he can't keep any water down.

Has he had all his rabies vaccine? Sometimes people don't get their indoor pets vaccinated. But other animals can carry rabies and infect your cat. I have other cats and various animals come to the door and bump noses with my cat. That is all it takes.

Also, has he been checked for urinary tract problems?

Maybe he is just old and it's time to die. Animals will stop eating when that time comes. We had a horse that did that and I had to have her put down.

He hasn't had a rabbies vaccine in years and years. Actually, until we got Finn I had no idea rabbies shots were mandatory for cats. The dogs are always up to date, Finn (little cat) has all his shots. Shadow would no more bump noses with a cat that came up to the door/window than fly to the moon. He'd rip the screen apart, he's not a fan of other cats. I keep everything closed downstairs most of the time anyway. Too hot and muggy. He's peeing just fine so I don't think it's a uti.

He ate a bit more last night but he's not at all back to where he should be. I did manage to get his first dose of oral anti-nausea med into him ... oh, that was fun. :doubt: Hoping maybe today he gets more food into him, although yesterday he ate more than he had in the past three days.

Hope he gets better. I dreamt about cats last night. I dreamt I had a mamma cat that had a blue cat in her litter! That was a strange looking kitten.

So Shadow (15+ years) decided to play finicky eater over the weekend. Ok, no biggie. He refused to eat his dinner Sun night. Gave him something different Mon .. no go. He was just drinking water but throwing that up nearly immediately. White foam. He did eat tiny bit of turkey, which he promptly threw up. Was peeing but not sure on the pooping No other food Mon. Decided Tues morning to give him one more day then to the vet. He was drinking - not a lot at all and very slow laps and doing weird things with his left paw, kind of tapping along the side of the water dish, almost as if he was checking to see if there was water in there. Tues he started throwing up yellow bile. Called the vet, took him over for an emergency visit. He was dehydrated but after a thorough physical exam, she found nothing out of the ordinary. Felt no lumps or anything in his organs, his bladder was full at that point but she felt no poop in his colon. They hydrated him, gave us an rx for pills to perk up his appetite and said to let her know how he was doing. If nothing changed, call her Friday.

I asked her how was I to get the pill into him, as I usually give it to him wrapped in a tasty tidbit but he wasn't eating. I've tried everything too, all his favs. Nope. I told her we had given him pills before by crushing them, mixing w/a bit of water and putting that into a syringe then putting that down his throat. She said that was fine.

Well, we did that about two hours ago. He foamed at the mouth, white foam and saliva, then threw up (kind of mucousy). He eventually made his way downstairs and was very unsteady on his feet, kind of wobbly. That passed, he is hungry, I kept offering him different things. He wants to eat he can't. I put some turducken (the good food) in a dish and he finally lapped a wee bit ... maybe 1/4 teaspoon. He's having some trouble jumping up onto the counter (I blocked it so he won't try). He then headed back up to bed. I called the vet after he threw up, the vet we saw yesterday isn't in. The girl asked the other vet who is there about giving the cat the pill that way and they said that was the cause of him barfing, to crush it and mix it into some gravy and literally rub it on his gums. Haven't done that yet. Personally I think this isn't an answer, he is hungry he but can not eat. We don't know why and that's the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm reading all kinds of things online and they all seem to say that a cat not eating for three or fours days is quite bad. I'm very, very worried and the vet doesn't seem to be. I made an app't for tomorrow morning but don't know what the next step they will take. There is only so much we are willing to do (for example, exploratory surgery --- I wouldn't put him through that). Will they x-ray? I asked the girl who answered the phone at the vets all these questions but she didn't have any answers. Anyone here have anything they can offer? Thanks.

(Like this hasn't been a shitty enough year, now this?)

the problem might be related to hairballs you kitty is 15 years old

that is a long time to be collecting hairs in the stomach

the symptoms sound right

there is a medicine for that

i hope your cat gets feeling better and soon it is a scary thing when the fur

kids cant tell you exactly whats wrong

So Shadow (15+ years) decided to play finicky eater over the weekend. Ok, no biggie. He refused to eat his dinner Sun night. Gave him something different Mon .. no go. He was just drinking water but throwing that up nearly immediately. White foam. He did eat tiny bit of turkey, which he promptly threw up. Was peeing but not sure on the pooping No other food Mon. Decided Tues morning to give him one more day then to the vet. He was drinking - not a lot at all and very slow laps and doing weird things with his left paw, kind of tapping along the side of the water dish, almost as if he was checking to see if there was water in there. Tues he started throwing up yellow bile. Called the vet, took him over for an emergency visit. He was dehydrated but after a thorough physical exam, she found nothing out of the ordinary. Felt no lumps or anything in his organs, his bladder was full at that point but she felt no poop in his colon. They hydrated him, gave us an rx for pills to perk up his appetite and said to let her know how he was doing. If nothing changed, call her Friday.

I asked her how was I to get the pill into him, as I usually give it to him wrapped in a tasty tidbit but he wasn't eating. I've tried everything too, all his favs. Nope. I told her we had given him pills before by crushing them, mixing w/a bit of water and putting that into a syringe then putting that down his throat. She said that was fine.

Well, we did that about two hours ago. He foamed at the mouth, white foam and saliva, then threw up (kind of mucousy). He eventually made his way downstairs and was very unsteady on his feet, kind of wobbly. That passed, he is hungry, I kept offering him different things. He wants to eat he can't. I put some turducken (the good food) in a dish and he finally lapped a wee bit ... maybe 1/4 teaspoon. He's having some trouble jumping up onto the counter (I blocked it so he won't try). He then headed back up to bed. I called the vet after he threw up, the vet we saw yesterday isn't in. The girl asked the other vet who is there about giving the cat the pill that way and they said that was the cause of him barfing, to crush it and mix it into some gravy and literally rub it on his gums. Haven't done that yet. Personally I think this isn't an answer, he is hungry he but can not eat. We don't know why and that's the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm reading all kinds of things online and they all seem to say that a cat not eating for three or fours days is quite bad. I'm very, very worried and the vet doesn't seem to be. I made an app't for tomorrow morning but don't know what the next step they will take. There is only so much we are willing to do (for example, exploratory surgery --- I wouldn't put him through that). Will they x-ray? I asked the girl who answered the phone at the vets all these questions but she didn't have any answers. Anyone here have anything they can offer? Thanks.

the symptoms sound right

My cat has an occasional hairall. But it is not the norm for her. Before she heaves it up, she makes a really high pitched cry. Sound is odd for my cat because she is mute.

I have a 21 year old cat with Kidney Disease.
So I'm constantly making sure she eats. Cats are almost addicted to fish. I had already been feeding her Blue Buffalo Salmon canned catfood which has a high moisture content and other natural good stuff in it but I still added some tuna and Salmon Oil. As mentioned earlier, canned cat food with high moisture helps a lot because the regarding getting enough water/liquids. The Salmon oil may be one thing you may want to look at. Salmon oil coats their digestive system which really helps with throwing up/nausea. I use about a table spoon a day spread out over the day. I just spread some over her food and then add the tuna. The Salmon oil & tuna also contain Omega s, 3, 6 and 9. The Omegas are good for inflammation of the organs. I also am feeding my cat less food but I'm feeding her more often (4 times a day). One other trick to get a cat to eat is catnip, as it raises the cat's appetite.
Salmon Oil is sold a good pet food stores.
I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV, but I did find that my efforts have made my cat much better with much less throwing & hairballs. I also know the catnip theory works because right after she eats some, she heads straight to her food dish. It's kinda like pot, she gets little buzz and gets the munchies.

Oh shoot, forgot to add that info. Yeah, they just did a 'senior' blood panel about six weeks ago and all results were fine. I was expecting that to show some kind of kidney issue but all the numbers were good.

He did manage to get about another 1/4 tspn of food into him and he was drinking some water and so far has kept it down. My daughter is picking up a jar of chicken baby food to see if maybe he'll lick that. I'm wondering if maybe he has a sore tooth or maybe a canker sore -- do cats even get them? They did look at his mouth the best they could but he is, uh ...let's just say he's the original grumpy cat and on a good day he wouldn't let the vet near him with a ten foot pole. If they had to sedate him some to get a good look in his mouth I'd be fine with that. He was purring for a bit and gave me some head butts. His being so wobbly earlier ... might that be from being dehydrated (although they gave him fluids yesterday) or from the throwing up? Dizzy maybe?

Your cat probably has the flu. Pets may get the flu more often than thought | Fox News

I was thinking at first it was liver disease, but you said his blood work was negative.

Best thing to do is keep him hydrated because if you don't his kidneys will shut down. That means giving him an I.V. if he can't keep any water down.

:eek: Didn't know cats and dogs could get the flu. No one here has been sick recently (I was the week of June 21, felt like the flu but the P.A. said it was a sinus infection, 10 days of Keflex cleared it up). Don't know where he'd get. His temp was normal. Thanks for the article, mud.

the symptoms sound right

Yeah, I notice that once cats hit around 5 years old, hairballs start happening. Shadow gets them but always throws them up. The doc felt all in his ab/internal organs and didn't feel anything. He is moving fluids and solids through him (not much solids but he's not eating much either) so we don't think it's a blockage. He's a short hair. Vet said in all her years of practice that she'd only seen a hairball blockage once. Thanks for the info.

I have a 21 year old cat with Kidney Disease.
So I'm constantly making sure she eats. Cats are almost addicted to fish. I had already been feeding her Blue Buffalo Salmon canned catfood which has a high moisture content and other natural good stuff in it but I still added some tuna and Salmon Oil. As mentioned earlier, canned cat food with high moisture helps a lot because the regarding getting enough water/liquids. The Salmon oil may be one thing you may want to look at. Salmon oil coats their digestive system which really helps with throwing up/nausea. I use about a table spoon a day spread out over the day. I just spread some over her food and then add the tuna. The Salmon oil & tuna also contain Omega s, 3, 6 and 9. The Omegas are good for inflammation of the organs. I also am feeding my cat less food but I'm feeding her more often (4 times a day). One other trick to get a cat to eat is catnip, as it raises the cat's appetite.
Salmon Oil is sold a good pet food stores.
I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV, but I did find that my efforts have made my cat much better with much less throwing & hairballs. I also know the catnip theory works because right after she eats some, she heads straight to her food dish. It's kinda like pot, she gets little buzz and gets the munchies.

I switched the cats food to good stuff about two months ago and started incorporating the omegas into their diet, via The Missing Link powder, plus some vitamins. (same for our dogs too). Shadow was fine taking the powder mixed w/the food, he didn't care for the vitamins so I would crush them up and mix them in. He got fussy w/his food last week and was turning it down so I just mixed in the omegas, then he stopped eating. I told the vet what we were giving him ... she didn't think that would cause any problems.

I didn't see salmon oil (but then again I wasn't looking for it) but totally like the idea of adding that an an alternative way for them to get the omegas, as it will help with hairballs. You know, if you don't get that hairball picked up fast enough some dogs think it's a treat. :eusa_whistle: Blech! Thanks so much for this info, kiwi.

Well, he didn't eat much overnight and this morning he only ate a bit of cat treats and a really small bit of wet cat food. I wasn't home until almost noon, which is when he got a dose of the anti-nausea med. Oh, this isn't going to last long... this cat is adamant about not letting us give him the med. I think there are only two more doses in the bottle though. I'm waiting to see if his appetite picks up a bit this afternoon. If it does, then we really need to find out what is making him feel sick to his stomach. I'm waiting till later this afternoon to call the vet to let her know how he is doing. My hunch is that if he doesn't start eating more over the weekend that he might have to go back Mon for some tests. He's looking might skinny, which is really saying something because he was skinny (in the back end) to begin with. When he had a reaction to flea drops or fleas in mid-July, the vet put him on prednisone for two weeks. He ate like a horse then and was looking like he was putting on some weight. Dang, I hope he's ok.

OP - I sure hope your cat gets better. Take him to the best vet you can find and figure out what is wrong. You might regret not doing everything you could have done if he doesn't get better. My cat was 16 when he died. That's elderly for a cat, comparable to a person in their 80s. I do hope your cat gets better. An older animal is far more delicate than a younger one and needs the best care. Good luck.

try a small dose of pepto or anti nausea first.

It doesn't hurt the cat and can temporarily stop the cat from wanting to throw up food.

We have several cats and some have gotten sick almost to the point you are saying. Vets prescribed pills but they threw them up. So they stated give a little pepto before giving them the pill or forcing down food.

It WORKS. Yet don't be suprised if they foam after you give them the pepto if they are sick. If they throw it up, calm the cat down, clean him up, and try again. Then you can give them the pill and or food.

Well, he didn't eat much overnight and this morning he only ate a bit of cat treats and a really small bit of wet cat food. I wasn't home until almost noon, which is when he got a dose of the anti-nausea med. Oh, this isn't going to last long... this cat is adamant about not letting us give him the med. I think there are only two more doses in the bottle though. I'm waiting to see if his appetite picks up a bit this afternoon. If it does, then we really need to find out what is making him feel sick to his stomach. I'm waiting till later this afternoon to call the vet to let her know how he is doing. My hunch is that if he doesn't start eating more over the weekend that he might have to go back Mon for some tests. He's looking might skinny, which is really saying something because he was skinny (in the back end) to begin with. When he had a reaction to flea drops or fleas in mid-July, the vet put him on prednisone for two weeks. He ate like a horse then and was looking like he was putting on some weight. Dang, I hope he's ok.

I also tell people the fist dose is the freebie. After that, the cat is on to you and almost impossible to pill or dose.

Do you know how to wrap a cat in a towel? There's actually a bit of a trick to get it to work because they're so good at getting their front legs out.

If you do use a towel, you need to wrap it fairly tightly around the neck. Don't choke him of course, but his front legs have to be immobilized or you get clawed and getting the drug into his mouth is impossible.

A very real danger in this method, is injury to the cat so be careful. The towel can actually protect against injury though ... You just have to find that happy medium.

I also tell people the fist dose is the freebie. After that, the cat is on to you and almost impossible to pill or dose.

Do you know how to wrap a cat in a towel? There's actually a bit of a trick to get it to work because they're so good at getting their front legs out.

If you do use a towel, you need to wrap it fairly tightly around the neck. Don't choke him of course, but his front legs have to be immobilized or you get clawed and getting the drug into his mouth is impossible.

A very real danger in this method, is injury to the cat so be careful. The towel can actually protect against injury though ... You just have to find that happy medium.

Yup. My daughter wraps him and holds him snuggly, and I get his mouth open with one hand and the syringe into his mouth with the other. It's a dance and he is not pleased with it. I'm quick but man ... he fights us tooth and nail. This isn't something that can be done long term. Pills are impossible, unless I can get him to eat. Then I cut them into tiny pieces and wrap them in food and he usually eats them.

It's 3:30pm and he still hasn't really eaten anything other than some cat treats. I'm going to see if I can coax him into eating something. He hasn't eaten nearly as much as he did yesterday and that wasn't much. :( I'm calling the vet back around 5pm to update her and see what we should do next. Thanks for the tips, Luddly. :)

I am sorry to hear this, and my wife and I are sad for you.

Your kitty is old and that may be the problem in and of itself.

You have done everything you can. Keep tempting it with it most favorite stuff: make sure that it is sort or mashed with water so it can be eaten.

Take kitty to bed tonight and sing to it softly. Make sure it knows how much you love it and how much joy kitty has brought to your life.

This may be all you can do, Zoom Boing. I so feel for you: we lost our two life cats in month two and three after our daughter died. We thought we were going to lose it.

Hang in there.

Does that cat go outside at all? If so, consider poisoning.

Are there any poisonous insect baits inside your house?

You seem to be one who is willing to pay for a lab test on the cat's saliva, so I'm wondering why the vet didn't present that option.

No, he's been an inside only cat his whole life. He has snuck out on occasion. Once he was out for about 18 hours (we didn't know he was out over night). He came in, grumpy and hissing, and made a beeline for the litter box. Ding dong didn't even know he could use the dirt for that. lol

He ate 1/3 jar of baby food two hours ago. I think for the weekend I'm going to stop trying to get him to eat wet cat food and just concentrate on getting him to eat the baby food every three or four hours. He just isn't going for wet cat food at this point so I'll hold off on it. I'll stick w/the baby food and maybe a bit of ham or turkey or cooked chicken to see if he takes it.

I called the vet. Grrrr. Before I left yesterday she told me to call her today to update her. I asked what time should I call, she said anytime as she was there all day. So I call and she was gone, she was only in for surgery this morning. She'll be in all day tomorrow. Left info w/the girl who answered the phone who told me the vet will call me tomorrow. Yeah, if I don't hear back by noon I'll call again.

Jake, I"m so sorry for your losses. Your daughter? omG. :sad: {hugs}

No, he's been an inside only cat his whole life. He has snuck out on occasion. Once he was out for about 18 hours (we didn't know he was out over night). He came in, grumpy and hissing, and made a beeline for the litter box. Ding dong didn't even know he could use the dirt for that. lol

He ate 1/3 jar of baby food two hours ago. I think for the weekend I'm going to stop trying to get him to eat wet cat food and just concentrate on getting him to eat the baby food every three or four hours. He just isn't going for wet cat food at this point so I'll hold off on it. I'll stick w/the baby food and maybe a bit of ham or turkey or cooked chicken to see if he takes it.

I called the vet. Grrrr. Before I left yesterday she told me to call her today to update her. I asked what time should I call, she said anytime as she was there all day. So I call and she was gone, she was only in for surgery this morning. She'll be in all day tomorrow. Left info w/the girl who answered the phone who told me the vet will call me tomorrow. Yeah, if I don't hear back by noon I'll call again.

Jake, I"m so sorry for your losses. Your daughter? omG. :sad: {hugs}

There is a special cat food you can get from the vet that has all the food AND water in it the cat needs for the day. I had to use this for one once.

Did they do any blood work to look for kidney issues or something like that?

I would think an xray would be the next thing to do.

Good luck.

I think the cat needs to pee in a cup to get Kidney function results.

:eusa_shifty:

Please post pics.

My vet likes to board the cat for the night a wait. At $10 bucks a night. Last time, I told her to do something different. Now she catheterizes her.

Did they do any blood work to look for kidney issues or something like that?

I would think an xray would be the next thing to do.

Good luck.

I think the cat needs to pee in a cup to get Kidney function results.

:eusa_shifty:

Please post pics.

My vet likes to board the cat for the night a wait. At $10 bucks a night. Last time, I told her to do something different. Now she catheterizes her.

You are no fun at all!
:mad:

Forum List

Back