Someone provide detailed description

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Someone provide a detailed description of what an Assault rifle is. Be very specific.

And no saying an ak-47 or an M16 is not being specific. Explain exactly what sets an assault rifle apart from any other semi automatic rifle on the market.

Someone provide a detailed description of what an Assault rifle is. Be very specific.

And no saying an ak-47 or an M16 is not being specific. Explain exactly what sets an assault rifle apart from any other semi automatic rifle on the market.

If you don't know I ain't given that info for free.

In other words other then looking scary you got nothing. Thanks for playing.

In other words other then looking scary you got nothing. Thanks for playing.

Still pissing sand?

Here's one :
assault rifle
noun (Concise Encyclopedia)

Military firearm that is chambered for ammunition of reduced size or propellant charge and has the capacity to switch between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Light and portable, yet able to deliver a high volume of fire with reasonable accuracy at modern combat ranges of 1,000–1,600 ft (300–500 m), assault rifles have become the standard infantry weapon of modern armies. Their ease of handling makes them ideal for mobile assault troops crowded into personnel carriers or helicopters, as well as for guerrilla fighters engaged in jungle or urban warfare. Widely used assault rifles are the U.S. M16, the Soviet Kalashnikov (the AK-47 and modernized versions), the Belgian FAL and FNC, and the German G3.

Or, from the assault weapons ban of 94 (the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act) :
(b) DEFINITION OF SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPON- Section 921(a) of such title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means--

`(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms, known as--

`(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);

`(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;

`(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);

`(iv) Colt AR-15;

`(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;

`(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;

`(vii) Steyr AUG;

`(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and

`(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

`(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a bayonet mount;

`(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

`(v) a grenade launcher;

`(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

`(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

`(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

`(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'.

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for. Certainly there seems to be a lot of cosmetic features included in the AWB definition.

Not a single lib can describe the evil mass murdering assault rifle they want banned?

Here’s where you lose the argument, if one can call it that.

An ‘assault weapon’ is whatever the law says it is, even if that law conflicts with an accepted technical definition.

The issue concerns only what weapons are considered in common use, where the possession those weapons is protected by the Second Amendment, and what weapons are considered dangerous and unusual, and not entitled to such protections.

So your question should be:

“Are ARs, AKs, and other similar semi-automatic rifles currently in common use or are they dangerous and unusual”?

Given the number of such weapons in possession by private citizens, their value as defensive and sporting rifles, and that these weapons are rarely used to commit crimes, ARs, AKs, and similar semi-automatic rifles are clearly in common use and the possession of such rifles is protected by the Second Amendment. Any measure designed to ban these weapons is therefore un-Constitutional.

The greatest threat to our rights enshrined in the Second Amendment is ignorant conservatives who are incapable of making a cogent argument concerning the appropriate and Constitutional regulation of firearms, not ‘liberals.’

Forum List

Back