Some facts about race

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Dante, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Maybe a space to put links on is needed? I always like a short cut to valuable content when discussing things like race. There is so much trash :lol: out there.

Race and genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Wikipedia: the ultimate authority....

I have referenced you to sources on the matter.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,722
    I can't believe this post isn't about a useful kind of race like NASCAR... Sorry for sticking my nose in here.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,989
    I hope you don't mind if I take the discussion of race in a slightly different direction, but I recently saw an astounding quote from Justice Ginsburg. Did you see this?

"In an astonishing admission, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg says she was under the impression that legalizing abortion with the 1973 Roe. v. Wade case would eliminate undesirable members of the populace, or as she put it "populations that we don't want to have too many of."
    Her remarks, set to be published in the New York Times Magazine this Sunday but viewable online now, came in an in-depth interview with Emily Bazelon titled, "The Place of Women on the Court."

Ginsburg was appointed by Democratic President Bill Clinton, in 1993.
    Roe v. Wade , 410 U.S. 113 (1973),
    The court issued its decision on January 22, 1973, with a 7 to 2 majority vote in favor of McCorvey. Burger and Douglas' concurring opinion and White's dissenting opinion were issued separately, in the companion case of Doe v. Bolton. The opinion of the Roe Court, written by Justice Harry Blackmun, declined to adopt the district court's Ninth Amendment rationale, and instead asserted that the "right of privacy, and Associate Justices Byron R. White and William H. Rehnquist wrote emphatic dissenting opinions in this case. White wrote: “The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally disentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible impacts on the mother, on the other hand.”
    Majority
    Harry Blackmun
    Warren E. Burger
    William O. Douglas
    William J. Brennan
    Potter Stewart
    Thurgood Marshall
    Lewis Powell
    Minority
    Byron White
    William Rehnquist

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    One time a lawyer asked if the court would take "judicial notice" (i.e., deem credible) a Wikipedia article. The lawyer was a little bit on the older side. He thought Wikipedia was like the encyclopedia, etc. He didn't understand that the articles are written by anyone and can be changed by anyone.

All the other lawyers laughed their asses off -- even the ones on his side of the case.

Try again with your "facts", Dev.

6. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    you belittle the source---wikipedia?

try stating what you find in error in the link. :cuckoo:

7. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    please start a thread linking to the article and could you send me a message with a link to it? I am not here all day every day so it is quite likely I would miss this one.

thanks in advance
    d.

;/)

8. Dante

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    the point is---morom, you are not equipped to critique or debate anything in a wikipedia article.

have a lousy life (I wouldn't want to get your expectations up) :eusa_whistle:

9. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I'm fairly well equipped. I've been reading on the subject for ten years, from popular treatments to heavy academic papers. I fly to conferences where this is the topic and listen to PhDs go back and forth. I have personal correspondence with a few of the top academics in the field, at least one of whom does field research. Behind me is a mini-library of about 25 volumes on the topic, from John Baker of Oxford's "Race" to Rushton's "Race, Evolution and Behavior" and on and on.

I don't know who wrote the wikipedia article -- conveniently, nobody takes credit -- but all the sources cited add up to a whoppingly cramped view of this huge subject. Lewontin, for instance, has been exposed pretty thoroughly as someone with a heavy ideological axe to grind. It's kind of hard to imagine, as well, that Howard Freakin' University isn't giving us a pretty biased view of the subject of race.

But never mind. The "facts" don't interest you, science doesn't interest you, research and statistics don't interest you... what interests you is the notion that all human beings are equal, and that all human groups are as well. Whatever. Most Republicans believe the exact same thing. Actually, come to think of it, our entire society is geared toward rewarding those who believe that and punishing those who don't. Again, big deal. This is not indicative of truth or untruth. The Catholic Church was once the most powerful force in the West and strictly forbade belief that the Earth wasn't the center of the universe. It didn't make it true.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You shouldn't laugh at Moroms. They're very nice people.

But honey, wiki, while a useful tool, is frequently wrong because it's like a resting place for urban legends...