Solzhenitsyn Dies

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Brave man, great writer.

VOA News - Alexander Solzhenitsyn Dies at 89

Interestly, you cannot buy his book Two Hundred Years Together on Amazon, and English translations are hard to find. Read the book description to find out why.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Two-Hundred-Years-Together-Part/dp/5969703729/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217813200&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Two Hundred Years Together : Part One: A. I. Solzhenitsyn: Books[/ame]

Sorry to hear of his passing. But no need for me to look for the book, I can't read Russian, either. :eusa_angel:

* Plus it would probably be WAY over my head. :(

Last edited:
From the first page of "The Oak and the Calf".....

"Underground is where you expect to find revolutionaries. But not writers.

For the writer intent on truth, life never was, never is(and never will be!), easy: his like have suffered every imaginable harassment---defamation, duels, a shattered family life, financial ruin, or lifelong unrelieved poverty, the madhouse, jail. While those who wanted for nothing, like Lev Tolstoy, have suffered worst torment in the claws of conscience."

Last edited:
Matryona's Home is a great short story.

I think it's kind of amusing though, that he bitched and complained about the USSR, emigrated to the US and then bitched and complained about the US.

RIP, cranky old man,

Matryona's Home is a great short story.

I think it's kind of amusing though, that he bitched and complained about the USSR, emigrated to the US and then bitched and complained about the US.

RIP, cranky old man,

I always think of something he said about America. I have to paraphrase.

He said that our big cities with their gleaming skyscrapers seem to imply that nothing bad can happen here. But bad things can happen here.

When 9/11 happened, I thought of him saying that.

I have read a lot of Russian authors but never him. Boy, what a life he lived and what crazy and cruel events he witnessed!

RIP Alex!

Forum List

Back