Soldier favorites: movies and soap operas

Kelly's Heroes...

... Platoon...

... Uncle Ferd says, "Alan Funt's What do ya say to a naked lady"...

... oughta be one o' dey's favorites - it's one o' his.

Granny says dat one about the Civil War...

... where Bobby Lee whups Grant up one side...

... an' den down the other...

Possum thinks the one where the ninja possums...

... saved the world from total destruction...

... oughta be ever'body's favorite.

Last edited:
Tropic Thunder.

4745496-8967307745-8946..gif

I thought Platoon was good but a bit melodramatic.

I thought Full Metal jacket was good too although I never heard of any young female VC snipers.

There was one old lady VC sniper in Viet Nam but James Land and Carlos Hathcock took good care of her.

I thought Apocalypse Now (the long version with the French plantation in it) was great. But although the image of Kurtz was more like an out of control Patton or MacArthur, we have never actually had to murder one of our own brass like that. Even so, Sheen's narrative about the War was on point.

I thought Gettysburg was perfect. Robert E Lee sacrificed his entire army by throwing them against the fortified Union position at Gettysburg, against Longstreet's recommendations. If you read Longstreet's memoirs, he says pretty much exactly what the movie dramatizes.

Last edited:
I like, band of brothers, saving private ryan, we were soldiers once, paths of glory, fury, inglourious bastards, valkerie, platoon, generation kill

I loved Ryan's Hope (I was laid up in Letterman for a long time) and the cult classic, Streets of Fire A Rock and Roll Fable.

Ryan's Hope (TV Series 1975–1989) - IMDb

Letterman has been demolished now. My mom used to work there back in the day.

The whole base around Chrissy Field is mostly a big bicycle mecca now. There are bike paths and bike shops with bike races and foot races practically every weekend. Fort Point is a scenic vista.

The US Army is gone. Once upon a time this was the major base for channeling soldiers into and out of Japan, Korea, and Viet Nam. Now it's an expansive and scenic historic site.

Attachments

• SF PRESIDIO COMMISARY TODAY.jpg
    SF PRESIDIO COMMISARY TODAY.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 101
  • SF PRESIDIO TODAY.jpg
    SF PRESIDIO TODAY.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 100
Dirty Dozen is my favorite. A bunch of misfit losers reluctantly become a team and take out a bunch of Germans. It's more than just a war movie, it's about the absurdity of bureaucrats, honor among rebels, the fighting spirit that exists in most all of Americans, redemption. even.
r-THE-DIRTY-DOZEN-large570.jpg

I loved Streets of Fire. My ex-wife looked exactly like Diane Lane does in that movie, except with bigger boobs. Her likeness to Diane Lane was astonishing.

I made the mistake of telling my current wife this, and now I am never allowed to watch it. :(

I thought I was the only person who ever heard of that movie.

My number one favorite movie, military or otherwise, is A Soldier's Story.

Glory is also a good military movie.

Patton, of course.

For offbeat military, Kelly's Heroes is great.

Dirty Dozen is my favorite. A bunch of misfit losers reluctantly become a team and take out a bunch of Germans. It's more than just a war movie, it's about the absurdity of bureaucrats, honor among rebels, the fighting spirit that exists in most all of Americans, redemption. even.
r-THE-DIRTY-DOZEN-large570.jpg
I love that movie, too.

The Longest Day.

Devil's Brigade.

3179m3k.jpg

Imagine having sex at least twice a day with someone who looks like this, except with DD boobs.

But is crazy as a shithouse rat.

Forum List

Back