Soft Targets?

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Though if attacked there would be a relatively light casualty list, the effects to our economy could be devastating. What if terrorists managed to detonate our Strategic Oil Reserve?

592 million barrels of crude sit in a salt cavern along the Gulf of Mexico coast of Texas. How well guarded is it? Is this a chief concern of the Dept. of Homeland Security? What would be the economic ramifications if it were destroyed, or contaminated by a dirty bomb?

I haven't heard much about this on any news program. Possible terrorists targets typically involve massive civilian deaths; buildings, bridges, tunnels, that sort of thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Does anyone have any thoughts about other low visibility installations or interests that might be prime targets for terrorists?

I think there are alot of targets in this vast country. Hopefully the Department of Homeland Security wasn't created in vain to this end.

I would imagine that the strategic reserve is well guarded, probably better than any nuclear facility. that oil is the lifeblood of the military in a crisis.

Easy!
Water! The US, like most countries, do not protect their water supplies. In fact, I'll tell you know that a simple additive added to the surface water source could cause mass deaths. I know this because that's my profession, and it's scary as hell to be honest with you. In addition, most ground water wells (ie most of the midwest) are very poorly protected. In fact the key to most wellheads is a standard key that can easily be acquired, which even I have!

To be honest, I can see no protection that is feasible to protect water sources, and to that end it makes me very nervous. Mark my words, if a terrorist ever develops half a brain, we might be in some very serious trouble.

I'm way to afraid to even talk about the Big soft target---don't want to give terrorists from ANY country any ideas

Agreed. I see more harm than benefit in naming al the possible ways they could get to us. I think we're better off with these being done behind closed doors. Kind of like dicussing troop movements while troops are..........on the move.

I understand the curiosity, though. In general I would say water supplies, any landmark building or bridge, all major cities and natural resources perhaps.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Though if attacked there would be a relatively light casualty list, the effects to our economy could be devastating. What if terrorists managed to detonate our Strategic Oil Reserve?

592 million barrels of crude sit in a salt cavern along the Gulf of Mexico coast of Texas. How well guarded is it? Is this a chief concern of the Dept. of Homeland Security? What would be the economic ramifications if it were destroyed, or contaminated by a dirty bomb?

I haven't heard much about this on any news program. Possible terrorists targets typically involve massive civilian deaths; buildings, bridges, tunnels, that sort of thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Does anyone have any thoughts about other low visibility installations or interests that might be prime targets for terrorists?

And, lets not forget the petro-chemical plants, an attack on any one of them could result in massive civilian casualties...Especially after Congress let a bill die that would have forced the industry to tighten security drastically. And security upgrades to nuclear facilities around the country are five years, or more, away. Yeah, there are plenty of soft targets, but the administration doesn't seem very interested in hardening them.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Easy!
Water! The US, like most countries, do not protect their water supplies. In fact, I'll tell you know that a simple additive added to the surface water source could cause mass deaths. I know this because that's my profession, and it's scary as hell to be honest with you. In addition, most ground water wells (ie most of the midwest) are very poorly protected. In fact the key to most wellheads is a standard key that can easily be acquired, which even I have!

To be honest, I can see no protection that is feasible to protect water sources, and to that end it makes me very nervous. Mark my words, if a terrorist ever develops half a brain, we might be in some very serious trouble.

The New York City watershed is a huge chain of lakes/aquifiers that feed the city's pipelines. I have heard that you would need a huge (many many truckloads) amount of a poison to actually cause the massive casualties the terrorists want. In your opinion, how true is that?

Isaac, I have to agree with you 100% with the water. I think that's the easiest target and the worse damage. There are the nuclear plants as mentioned. I know Cheesey McGreevy, our wonderful Governor, decided it would be TOO much money to protect, and took security off that area, so the plant down South is a nice easy target. A shame that you can spend so much money on stupid stuff, like, limo rides for politicians, but can't spend the money to protect a nuclear plant.

frankly, we are "soft" everywhere. The only way to protect us, is to keep the bastards out of the country and to round up the ones that are here. Somebody walking into a mall with a wastebelt bomb or backpack bomb would kill hundreds on a busy shopping day. The only reason there are not MORE bombings in Israel is because even to go into a shopping mall or grocery store there you have to go through x-ray machines. a sad life indeed.

As you are asking for specifics, I would say: Dams, Water supplies, nuclear plants, refineries, subways (especially NYC and DC) and yes, still, airports. They really don't search you at airports until you are actually going to your gate. So a bomb in a ticket area would do a lot of damage on a busy travel day.

what's that saying about 'eternal vigilance is the price of freedom' or something?

To secure 'freedom' we have to be more strict in what the army calls 'Force Protection' - things we do to help ensure our safety; even those things which can inconvenience.

Forum List

Back