Soft Targets?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Zhukov, May 12, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Though if attacked there would be a relatively light casualty list, the effects to our economy could be devastating. What if terrorists managed to detonate our Strategic Oil Reserve?

592 million barrels of crude sit in a salt cavern along the Gulf of Mexico coast of Texas. How well guarded is it? Is this a chief concern of the Dept. of Homeland Security? What would be the economic ramifications if it were destroyed, or contaminated by a dirty bomb?

I haven't heard much about this on any news program. Possible terrorists targets typically involve massive civilian deaths; buildings, bridges, tunnels, that sort of thing.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Does anyone have any thoughts about other low visibility installations or interests that might be prime targets for terrorists?

2. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think there are alot of targets in this vast country. Hopefully the Department of Homeland Security wasn't created in vain to this end.

3. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    But what kinds of targets do you think the DoHS should be most concerned about? They can't be everywhere.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would imagine that the strategic reserve is well guarded, probably better than any nuclear facility. that oil is the lifeblood of the military in a crisis.

5. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Easy!
    Water! The US, like most countries, do not protect their water supplies. In fact, I'll tell you know that a simple additive added to the surface water source could cause mass deaths. I know this because that's my profession, and it's scary as hell to be honest with you. In addition, most ground water wells (ie most of the midwest) are very poorly protected. In fact the key to most wellheads is a standard key that can easily be acquired, which even I have!

To be honest, I can see no protection that is feasible to protect water sources, and to that end it makes me very nervous. Mark my words, if a terrorist ever develops half a brain, we might be in some very serious trouble.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I'm way to afraid to even talk about the Big soft target---don't want to give terrorists from ANY country any ideas

7. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Agreed. I see more harm than benefit in naming al the possible ways they could get to us. I think we're better off with these being done behind closed doors. Kind of like dicussing troop movements while troops are..........on the move.

I understand the curiosity, though. In general I would say water supplies, any landmark building or bridge, all major cities and natural resources perhaps.

8. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    But ain't that the truth.

9. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    And, lets not forget the petro-chemical plants, an attack on any one of them could result in massive civilian casualties...Especially after Congress let a bill die that would have forced the industry to tighten security drastically. And security upgrades to nuclear facilities around the country are five years, or more, away. Yeah, there are plenty of soft targets, but the administration doesn't seem very interested in hardening them.

10. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22

The New York City watershed is a huge chain of lakes/aquifiers that feed the city's pipelines. I have heard that you would need a huge (many many truckloads) amount of a poison to actually cause the massive casualties the terrorists want. In your opinion, how true is that?