Social Security, Social Security, Social Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the Baby boomer generation more than covered their future costs.

That's why the SS system is owed $2.5 Trillion by the Government.

We don't need to raise taxes for SS.

If we need to raise taxes, we need to raise taxes to pay for those services were are not ALREADY funded...like our 600 billion dollar a year Department of Defence, for example, or the interest on the debts we have outstanding.

Those UNFUNDED social services programs are what's breaking the bank, not SS.

Yeah...When Dick Cheney said, "The Debt Doesn't Matter, Reagan Proved That" somebody should have asked his foolish ass if the interest matters. When Obama took office the interest for that year was about $450 billion.

For comparison we spend about $100 billion on education and less than that on the infrastructure.

You clowns emptied SS. Then according to your stupid logic Congress bares no responsibility for the legislation that passes.

Why dont you write a few more checks.

You wanna see clowns...........watch the next Republican debate.

Why is it that none of you sheep realize that if you had control over the money the government confiscates for SS that you'd all be better off?

You vote for the stock market ponzi scheme? Go ahead and put your money in the stock market and watch the hedge funds sell everything short and steal your retirement. Then what? Grow a brain. SS is the safest bet. If you also have a 401k, fine, try not to lose it.

SS isn't a problem. Its solvent to 2037. With a little tweak SS is fine. Medicare and Medicaid are the problems. They are all but bankrupt now. Then the stupid dems add 30,000,000 free-loaders into the system.

You really are an idiot.

Since when does one have to invest in hedge funds?

Since 1900 the Dow Jones Industrial has average over 9% .

There are literally thousands of investment opportunities that have nothing to do with hedge funds.

But sheep like you don't like to do anything but be led to slaughter so you'll just follow the government shepherd right to the abattoir.

Why is it that none of you sheep realize that if you had control over the money the government confiscates for SS that you'd all be better off?

You vote for the stock market ponzi scheme? Go ahead and put your money in the stock market and watch the hedge funds sell everything short and steal your retirement. Then what? Grow a brain. SS is the safest bet. If you also have a 401k, fine, try not to lose it.

SS isn't a problem. Its solvent to 2037. With a little tweak SS is fine. Medicare and Medicaid are the problems. They are all but bankrupt now. Then the stupid dems add 30,000,000 free-loaders into the system.

Since 1900 the Dow Jones Industrial has averaged over 9% ..

The market is useless unless one gets in and out with a great degree of correct timing. The insiders are basically the ones who get rich from the stock market. Did you know that right now there's an investigation in progress about members of congress having access to stock market facts to which the public had none:

History of Insider Trading, 1611-2011, with an Emphasis on Congressional Insider Trading
1611-1799 1800-1929 1933-1949

Birth of stock markets Growth of markets and financial scandals Beginning of government attempts to regulate insider trading
1950-1969 1970-1979 1980-1989

Congress begins to standardize rules to prevent financial misconduct by government officials Government-wide financial rules extend to legislative, executive, and judicial branches. Increased Congressional and SEC attempts to strengthen insider trading regulations; Supreme Court checks SEC power in rulings
1990-1999 2000-2004 2005-2011

Congress, SEC, and Supreme Court strengthen insider trading law Financial scandals bring insider trading to greater public attention Increased public scrutiny of Congressional insider trading and attempts to prohibit trading on Congressional insider knowledge

Last edited:
I remember when the first people began to draw a pittance from social security...about 1942, 43. The act was initiated about 1935 and guess what.......the Republicans screamed that it would cost jobs. They continued to scream until the act went to the supreme court twice before it was finally ruled constitutional. Republicans would like to see the poverty stricken back on county poor farms(poorhouses) A couple of acres and a basically empty house where a group of poverty stricken people lived and those who could still amble about would raise and can enough food to feed all of them. This country is lightly sprinkled with unmarked graves from those days.

Social Security is the only program in Washington that month end and month out pays it's own way.

I wish you people had a clue. I wish you could have seen west Tennessee during the depression. Unemployment reached nearly 50%. Grown men cried because they were unable to put food on the table for their families. Men would scrounge around looking for a days work on farms, 12 hours in the fields for $0.75 and their mid day meal. My dad worked in a box factory and ruptured himself lifting loads from a skid and the second day he missed they replaced him. There were no unions, no benefits, no vacation, personal leave, health insurance, workman's comp, etc. If a man could work he was paid...if he couldn't he wasn't.

When my dad got a job as timekeeper on the WPA that was the first regular paycheck he ever drew. He made about $6.50 a week. Believe it or not that was enough to feed us and afford a place to live. He would be sure that my mom kept a pot of navy beans warming on the stove so beggers who knocked on the door knowing we had no work for them could at least have a bowl of beans and a stick of corn bread.

You folks need to get your shit together and your minds right.

And you need to stop living in the past.

The Keynesian model of using government jobs to make up for shortcomings in the private sector was destroyed when public sector unions insisted that these jobs pay a lot more than the prevailing wage and the people doing them weren't going to be held to any kind of standard.

At that point, government jobs became wasteful.

None of which has anything to do with Social Security. Social Security was introduced at a time when the average lifespan was 62 years, so it was no great deal to pay off the people who it 65.

Today the average lifespan is 78, and if you retire at 65, you'll get back everything you paid into it by 72.

And the absolute insanity of pretending it's a retirement fund when it really isn't is the problem. :eek:

Social Security is the only program in Washington that month end and month out pays it's own way.

Only because Ronald Reagan reformed it in the 1980's. It'd be broke now if he hadn't.

And that won't be the case much longer. Not without either raising taxes, means testing, or limiting benefits.

I remember when the first people began to draw a pittance from social security...about 1942, 43. The act was initiated about 1935 and guess what.......the Republicans screamed that it would cost jobs. They continued to scream until the act went to the supreme court twice before it was finally ruled constitutional. Republicans would like to see the poverty stricken back on county poor farms(poorhouses) A couple of acres and a basically empty house where a group of poverty stricken people lived and those who could still amble about would raise and can enough food to feed all of them. This country is lightly sprinkled with unmarked graves from those days.

I wish you people had a clue. I wish you could have seen west Tennessee during the depression. Unemployment reached nearly 50%. Grown men cried because they were unable to put food on the table for their families. Men would scrounge around looking for a days work on farms, 12 hours in the fields for $0.75 and their mid day meal. My dad worked in a box factory and ruptured himself lifting loads from a skid and the second day he missed they replaced him. There were no unions, no benefits, no vacation, personal leave, health insurance, workman's comp, etc. If a man could work he was paid...if he couldn't he wasn't.

When my dad got a job as timekeeper on the WPA that was the first regular paycheck he ever drew. He made about $6.50 a week. Believe it or not that was enough to feed us and afford a place to live. He would be sure that my mom kept a pot of navy beans warming on the stove so beggers who knocked on the door knowing we had no work for them could at least have a bowl of beans and a stick of corn bread.

My dad was lucky. When the war started he hired in at Procter and Gamble in Milan, TN where they were cooking TNT and turning out 500# bombs. He worked his way up from laborer to a line superintendent then when he heard they were hiring for a special project in east Tennessee he went to Jackson, TN, interviewed and landed a job working on the Manhatten project in Oak Ridge, TN. Our family did alright after that........all of us. Oak Ridge had over 700 PHD's. 10 times the national average for the population. Those people demanded good schools for their kids and my family was one of thousands who benefited from that. We were so lucky that looking back I have no clue what our fate might have been had we stayed in west Tennessee.

Thanks for that self-indulgent pile of nothing, douchebag.

And you need to stop living in the past.

The Keynesian model of using government jobs to make up for shortcomings in the private sector was destroyed when public sector unions insisted that these jobs pay a lot more than the prevailing wage and the people doing them weren't going to be held to any kind of standard.

At that point, government jobs became wasteful.

None of which has anything to do with Social Security. Social Security was introduced at a time when the average lifespan was 62 years, so it was no great deal to pay off the people who it 65.

Today the average lifespan is 78, and if you retire at 65, you'll get back everything you paid into it by 72.

And the absolute insanity of pretending it's a retirement fund when it really isn't is the problem. :eek:

If my retirement had been in the stock market I would have starved to death in 2008 and 2009.

As it is I got back everything I had paid into social security four years ago. The deal is this. When we had our 58th HS reunion in June, 2010....a third of our 240 graduates were dead, many of them at least twenty years before that. Don't you get it......none of their contributions were ever collected by them or any member of their family.

All the bulshit spread about social security is by people who would like to see the poor back in county poor farms and returned to a final destiny of an unmarked grave.

Yeah...When Dick Cheney said, "The Debt Doesn't Matter, Reagan Proved That" somebody should have asked his foolish ass if the interest matters. When Obama took office the interest for that year was about $450 billion.

For comparison we spend about $100 billion on education and less than that on the infrastructure.

You clowns emptied SS. Then according to your stupid logic Congress bares no responsibility for the legislation that passes.

I dont care who the nominee is. Democrats will never get my vote.

Coward yes you are a coward. No mention of SS. Once again you fail to man up after 77 years. Do it soon you dont have much time left.

Coward yes you are a coward. No mention of SS. Once again you fail to man up after 77 years. Do it soon you dont have much time left.

If my retirement had been in the stock market I would have starved to death in 2008 and 2009.

As it is I got back everything I had paid into social security four years ago. The deal is this. When we had our 58th HS reunion in June, 2010....a third of our 240 graduates were dead, many of them at least twenty years before that. Don't you get it......none of their contributions were ever collected by them or any member of their family.

All the bulshit spread about social security is by people who would like to see the poor back in county poor farms and returned to a final destiny of an unmarked grave.

Once again, guy, who pays for that? If you admit that you got back everything you paid four years ago, who is paying for you now?

Someone else who is working. And his employer matching his contribution.

In short, it is a ponzi scheme. and like all ponzi schemes, someone eventually gets left holding the bag.

First of all only ten percent you would have been responsible for managing. Plus if it were you wouldnt let congress keep fucking us through manipulation. The government brought it down and you want to blame anybody but.

Once again, guy, who pays for that? If you admit that you got back everything you paid four years ago, who is paying for you now?

In short, it is a ponzi scheme. and like all ponzi schemes, someone eventually gets left holding the bag.

Yeah, Yeah , Yeah. I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.

Last edited:

You got that right. Its easy to spend someone elses money when yours runs out.

Don't think SS and Medicare would be all that popular if folks could only take out exactly what they had put into those two programs.

If I could I would take back every dime I have in both SS and Medicare. I can sure as hell take better care of my money than those Clowns in DC.

Don't think SS and Medicare would be all that popular if folks could only take out exactly what they had put into those two programs.

If I could I would take back every dime I have in both SS and Medicare. I can sure as hell take better care of my money than those Clowns in DC.

Yeah, Yeah , Yeah. I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.

Obama fucked that up for me. Now I have a passport and nowhere to go.

Not the "safest bet" when it is mismanaged and when it is the part of the game you are FORCED to play..

I would sooner take my chances, in a free society, living with the choices I personally make for my financial future

Obama fucked that up for me. Now I have a passport and nowhere to go.

You weren't going anywhere to begin with.

I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.

My perception is just fine thanks and your the one throwing the bullshit.

You seem to think its AOK to use someone elses money when yours is gone. You have no problem using someone elses money and could care less if that person is left holding your bag.

In any other venue thats called theft.

BTW I'm not a Rep and your an old idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back