Social Security, Social Security, Social Security

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when the first people began to draw a pittance from social security...about 1942, 43. The act was initiated about 1935 and guess what.......the Republicans screamed that it would cost jobs. They continued to scream until the act went to the supreme court twice before it was finally ruled constitutional. Republicans would like to see the poverty stricken back on county poor farms(poorhouses) A couple of acres and a basically empty house where a group of poverty stricken people lived and those who could still amble about would raise and can enough food to feed all of them. This country is lightly sprinkled with unmarked graves from those days.

Social Security is the only program in Washington that month end and month out pays it's own way.

I wish you people had a clue. I wish you could have seen west Tennessee during the depression. Unemployment reached nearly 50%. Grown men cried because they were unable to put food on the table for their families. Men would scrounge around looking for a days work on farms, 12 hours in the fields for $0.75 and their mid day meal. My dad worked in a box factory and ruptured himself lifting loads from a skid and the second day he missed they replaced him. There were no unions, no benefits, no vacation, personal leave, health insurance, workman's comp, etc. If a man could work he was paid...if he couldn't he wasn't.

When my dad got a job as timekeeper on the WPA that was the first regular paycheck he ever drew. He made about $6.50 a week. Believe it or not that was enough to feed us and afford a place to live. He would be sure that my mom kept a pot of navy beans warming on the stove so beggers who knocked on the door knowing we had no work for them could at least have a bowl of beans and a stick of corn bread.

My dad was lucky. When the war started he hired in at Procter and Gamble in Milan, TN where they were cooking TNT and turning out 500# bombs. He worked his way up from laborer to a line superintendent then when he heard they were hiring for a special project in east Tennessee he went to Jackson, TN, interviewed and landed a job working on the Manhatten project in Oak Ridge, TN. Our family did alright after that........all of us. Oak Ridge had over 700 PHD's. 10 times the national average for the population. Those people demanded good schools for their kids and my family was one of thousands who benefited from that. We were so lucky that looking back I have no clue what our fate might have been had we stayed in west Tennessee.

You folks need to get your shit together and your minds right.

You were 8 or 9 years old in 1942-43.

Between school, your paper route, and all your IQ testing you still managed to keep up with how people were handling their Social Security incomes?

I call bullshit

:fu:

Jake Starkey's older brother

I notice you decided to completely ignore the repeated investigations of congressional insider trading. The one which is getting under way right now should prove to be extremely interesting.

I notice how you bring up a point that is not related to the thread in any way and yet ignore this post:
[/b]If your SS contribution had been in the market since 1952, your portfolio could be in a basket of corporate bonds and your interest alone would be multiples of your Social Security check and you'd still have hundreds of thousands in untouched principal.
That has a direct bearing on the topic at hand. Fact is all those on SS would be doing far better had the program been given to the people to invest in something that was not a ponzi scheme.

But they weren't doing it hence the need for SS. Hell, most that can aren't even doing it now.

Social Security Lifts 13 Million Seniors Above the Poverty Line — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

But you can call it a Ponzi Scheme all you want. It ain't going anywhere.

WSJ/NBC Poll: Hands Off Medicare, Social Security - Washington Wire - WSJ

So.......Any party or politician that would attempt to do away with it would be banished for a long, long time.

The only thing YOU can do is NOT sign up for it when your eligible. You sure wouldn't want to be a willing participant in a Ponzi Scheme, would you? :confused:
I may not have to draw but I am REQUIRED to pay so no... I can't opt out of the ponzi scheme.

Again, when presented with simple facts I am buffeted by bullshit that I never eluded to. Sure, people did not save and SS was required to force people to save something. I never said that should be abolished. That safety net is a must so the rest of us do not need to pick you up after you fail at life. Now, that investment went into magical accounting for the government to spend as they see fit while the labors of people are stolen today to pay out the benefits. If it was, instead, invested into reasonable and moderately safe investment portfolios then we would actually see real benefits that would go a long way to helping the elderly actually achieve a semblance of retirement rather than floating people around the poverty line. You might even see real generational wealth that can be passed onto progeny after your unfortunate death. Now all we have is another bullshit program that the government used to supply supplemental income. The same supplemental income that is becoming a red number instead of a black one.

And the last point I will make is to your supposition that it is not going anywhere because no politician can really touch it. That is true and a big reason why these programs are such a terrible idea. Here we have a broken system that is running into real trouble but there is nothing that can be done about it because the same age old problem that once you have an entitlement it will never go away. That is certainly not a good point to defend SS on. It is, rather, one of the chief reasons that SS needs to be restructured to give the people back the power AND visibility of what SS is.

I remember when the first people began to draw a pittance from social security...about 1942, 43. The act was initiated about 1935 and guess what.......the Republicans screamed that it would cost jobs. They continued to scream until the act went to the supreme court twice before it was finally ruled constitutional. Republicans would like to see the poverty stricken back on county poor farms(poorhouses) A couple of acres and a basically empty house where a group of poverty stricken people lived and those who could still amble about would raise and can enough food to feed all of them. This country is lightly sprinkled with unmarked graves from those days.

Social Security is the only program in Washington that month end and month out pays it's own way.

I wish you people had a clue. I wish you could have seen west Tennessee during the depression. Unemployment reached nearly 50%. Grown men cried because they were unable to put food on the table for their families. Men would scrounge around looking for a days work on farms, 12 hours in the fields for $0.75 and their mid day meal. My dad worked in a box factory and ruptured himself lifting loads from a skid and the second day he missed they replaced him. There were no unions, no benefits, no vacation, personal leave, health insurance, workman's comp, etc. If a man could work he was paid...if he couldn't he wasn't.

When my dad got a job as timekeeper on the WPA that was the first regular paycheck he ever drew. He made about $6.50 a week. Believe it or not that was enough to feed us and afford a place to live. He would be sure that my mom kept a pot of navy beans warming on the stove so beggers who knocked on the door knowing we had no work for them could at least have a bowl of beans and a stick of corn bread.

My dad was lucky. When the war started he hired in at Procter and Gamble in Milan, TN where they were cooking TNT and turning out 500# bombs. He worked his way up from laborer to a line superintendent then when he heard they were hiring for a special project in east Tennessee he went to Jackson, TN, interviewed and landed a job working on the Manhatten project in Oak Ridge, TN. Our family did alright after that........all of us. Oak Ridge had over 700 PHD's. 10 times the national average for the population. Those people demanded good schools for their kids and my family was one of thousands who benefited from that. We were so lucky that looking back I have no clue what our fate might have been had we stayed in west Tennessee.

Between school, your paper route, and all your IQ testing you still managed to keep up with how people were handling their Social Security incomes?

I call bullshit

His whole "I'm an old man" routine is clearly a put-on. Probably just another snot-nosed kid role-playing on the internet.

but obama keeps wanting to extend the payroll tax deductions holiday., every day that happens the social security pot is being depleted. I don't know who you'll whine about when the money is gone.
BULLSHIT

The payroll tax is part of the general fund, so cutting the payroll tax is no different than cutting any other tax.

but obama keeps wanting to extend the payroll tax deductions holiday., every day that happens the social security pot is being depleted. I don't know who you'll whine about when the money is gone.

SS is solid for the next 25 years.

We just need to raise taxes on the rich to cover the baby boomers.

that payroll tax cut sucked 110 billion dollars out of the ss fund. asswipe. do you fathom how much 110 billion dollars is? and that was just one year.
BULLSHIT :asshole:

The payroll tax is part of the general fund. The payroll tax cut sucked $110 billion from the general fund, extending the Bush tax cuts cut a lot more out of the general fund.

Yeah, Yeah , Yeah. I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.

Obama fucked that up for me. Now I have a passport and nowhere to go.

You weren't going anywhere to begin with.

I've never heard your kind of bullshit from anywhere except the Republicans. Somehow they always seem to have enough money. Strange how having enough money and never being hungry during one's life will affect one's attitude and perception. You wanna do something...go volunteer for a couple of tours in Afghanistan...maybe you can have the honor of getting acquainted with my oldest granddaughter's husband.
Right, the republicans tried to prevent Social Security and have tried to kill it ever since.

Why is it that none of you sheep realize that if you had control over the money the government confiscates for SS that you'd all be better off?

That's not necessarily true. It depends heavily on how long you live. If you live a short life - you'd probably have been better off keeping the money. If you live a very long life, however, SS continues to pay - and you're better off having paid into the system.

Like all insurance - in the strictest sense, its a gamble based on future events.

BULLSHIT

The payroll tax is part of the general fund, so cutting the payroll tax is no different than cutting any other tax.

No it isn't. The payroll tax goes to SS to fund benefits.

BULLSHIT

No it isn't. The payroll tax goes to SS to fund benefits.
Benefits are paid from the general fund.

I call bullshit

His whole "I'm an old man" routine is clearly a put-on. Probably just another snot-nosed kid role-playing on the internet.

My birth date is 9-26-34...........last time I checked that's 77 years.

Like I said....when one is hungry they remember a lot....especially what adults around them are discussing. I have what some have called a remarkable memory. Anyway you are like so many others here....you have drank the Kool-Aid.

What do you have to say about the county poor farms

There's an old poor farm site no further than three fourths of a mile from where I am right now. It was closed about 1950-55. Some relatives still go up there and visit the graves of their Roane County, TN ancestors.

Here are a couple of courthouse records:

SIMPSON, William; single, b. 9 Aug 1926 in TN-d. 15 Aug 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:
"not known"; Mother: "not known"; Place of Burial: Poor Farm Cemetery.

ADCOCK, Joe, married, b. (age 58(?) years) in TN-d. 10 Apr 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:
"not known"; Mother: "not known"; Place of Burial: Poor House Farm.

It's what Republican policies if unabated would take us back to.

Last edited:
The market is useless unless one gets in and out with a great degree of correct timing. The insiders are basically the ones who get rich from the stock market. Did you know that right now there's an investigation in progress about members of congress having access to stock market facts to which the public had none:

History of Insider Trading, 1611-2011, with an Emphasis on Congressional Insider Trading
1611-1799 1800-1929 1933-1949

Birth of stock markets Growth of markets and financial scandals Beginning of government attempts to regulate insider trading
1950-1969 1970-1979 1980-1989

Congress begins to standardize rules to prevent financial misconduct by government officials Government-wide financial rules extend to legislative, executive, and judicial branches. Increased Congressional and SEC attempts to strengthen insider trading regulations; Supreme Court checks SEC power in rulings
1990-1999 2000-2004 2005-2011

Congress, SEC, and Supreme Court strengthen insider trading law Financial scandals bring insider trading to greater public attention Increased public scrutiny of Congressional insider trading and attempts to prohibit trading on Congressional insider knowledge

Bullshit.

Time in the market is better than timing the market. That and some time tested strategies of portfolio management like not having ALL your money in equities when you're preparing to retire will prove more beneficial than trying to time stock trends.

You have fallen for the fear mongering propaganda spewed by the big government anti free market idiots.

And the congress practicing insider trading has nothing to do with your own personal investments. While I'll agree that all those corrupt assholes should be in jail in the long run their scam really doesn't affect your portfolio.

I notice you decided to completely ignore the repeated investigations of congressional insider trading. The one which is getting under way right now should prove to be extremely interesting.

And what exactly does that have to do with your retirement savings?

The corrupt asssholes in congress breaking the law is completely irrelevant to the discussion of whether people would be better off keeping their money or letting the government take it from them.

I call bullshit

My birth date is 9-26-34............

Nope, you're full of shit.

My birth date is 9-26-34............

Nope............You're full of it

Like I said....when one is hungry they remember a lot....especially what adults around them are discussing. I have what some have called a remarkable memory. Anyway you are like so many others here....you have drank the Kool-Aid.

There's an old poor farm site no further than three fourths of a mile from where I am right now. It was closed about 1950-55. Some relatives still go up there and visit the graves of their Roane County, TN ancestors.

SIMPSON, William; single, b. 9 Aug 1926 in TN-d. 15 Aug 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:

ADCOCK, Joe, married, b. (age 58(?) years) in TN-d. 10 Apr 1927 in Roane Co.; Father:

I will bet anything he pardons Blago and the rest of the Klan - democrats will sweep it under the rug in two weeks... They will turn around and attack any opposition....

Nope............You're full of it

My birth date is 9-26-34

Give it up already. Your stupid 'persona' has been blown up. Try a new one.

I'll quit if you will

Give it up already. Your stupid 'persona' has been blown up. Try a new one.

I'll quit if you will.

You should quit, because your little story is all worn out, fraud.

I won't quit if you don't....that's a promise

I'll quit if you will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back