So You Think Your Stuff In"the Cloud" Is Safe? It's Not.

OriginalShroom

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
A couple of years ago, my brother-in-law and I got into a huge argument over cloud computing. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it.

Why? Because I have concerns over the Government being able to access anything stored in "The Cloud" without a warrant.

My BIL works for the Government and is very intelligent as well as very smart has always said that there wasn't a problem there.. It was covered as if it were stored on your computer. I strongly disagreed then and still do.

Apparently I was more right than what I knew....

US threat to British online privacy - Telegraph

Private information stored online by British computer users could be scrutinised by American law enforcement agencies under a wide-ranging new right-to-snoop being pursued by the US government.

Federal authorities in the US are using the courts to try to force American-owned technology companies to disclose emails and other data held in the "Cloud" - the vast network of servers where data is stored for customers.

The claim would require companies such as Microsoft, Apple and Google to open up all their electronic records to agencies - such as the CIA, the NSA and the FBI – even if it is stored in Europe rather than on US soil.

A New York court this month ordered Microsoft to hand over to US prosecutors the emails of a European customer stored on its servers in Ireland, as part of a drugs trafficking investigation.

A couple of years ago, my brother-in-law and I got into a huge argument over cloud computing. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it.

Why? Because I have concerns over the Government being able to access anything stored in "The Cloud" without a warrant.

My BIL works for the Government and is very intelligent as well as very smart has always said that there wasn't a problem there.. It was covered as if it were stored on your computer. I strongly disagreed then and still do.

Apparently I was more right than what I knew....

US threat to British online privacy - Telegraph

Private information stored online by British computer users could be scrutinised by American law enforcement agencies under a wide-ranging new right-to-snoop being pursued by the US government.

Federal authorities in the US are using the courts to try to force American-owned technology companies to disclose emails and other data held in the "Cloud" - the vast network of servers where data is stored for customers.

The claim would require companies such as Microsoft, Apple and Google to open up all their electronic records to agencies - such as the CIA, the NSA and the FBI – even if it is stored in Europe rather than on US soil.

A New York court this month ordered Microsoft to hand over to US prosecutors the emails of a European customer stored on its servers in Ireland, as part of a drugs trafficking investigation.

never mind the government, some basement dwelling nerd can get into your stuff as well.
Just ask Kate Upton. (with apologies to Seinfeld), They are real, and they are spectacular.

Privacy has become a quaint little right people used to have before they bought PCs. There are ways to remain mostly private but it requires a level of savvy and diligence most people cannot manage.

Forum List

Back