So you are squad leader being chased by the bad guys... you and your group jump in your EV jeep and guess what?

You went from powering a tank to powering an entire auto production line? Way to move the goalposts.
I guess you didn't read some of the previous comments where they suggested auto makers could use solar panels.
Unlike most people like YOU I then provided substance, data, facts and links to support the contention that the guessers like you do... without doing any research! Why can't you FIRST read the comments, then find some refuting substantiation?
But no you have to make some dumb ass totally unsubstantiated statement.
AGAIN... I was responding to some one's comment that auto makers could use solar panels.
So again since YOU didn't read much less retain what I concluded:
"Hmmm so to make EVs using solar panels to generate the electricity would require land area equal to the world's largest auto production plant." AGAIN.. each auto plant that makes 1,000 cars would require 2.5 square miles of solar panels to provide the 200,000 megawatts.
Oh by the way there the average cost of land in the contiguous United States is about $12,000 per acre or at 640 acres/square mile that's $7,680,000 /sq mile or in this case almost $20 million to buy the land.
Now each solar panel cost about $200 or for 3,732,736 panels that's another $746,547,200 in addition to the $20 million for the land. So at just the land and panels cost of $754,227,200 if the auto plant makes 1,000 cars a day to recover the cost of solar panels would require 754,227 cars to be built in 2,066 years (1,000/day).
Again where is the economics in that?

Each solar panel generates 535.8 kWH/panel
An auto production plant with a daily output of 1,000 vehicles can easily use several hundred thousand megawatt-hours (MWh) of electricity per year—as much as a medium-sized town. Automobile plants make more with less
So "several hundred thousand megawatt-hours is equal to 200,000 megawatts equal to 200,000,000 kWh or it would takes at the above rate of electricity by a single solar panel of 538.8 kWh per panel or about 3,732,736 or with each panel average of 15 soft or 55,991,041 sq.ft or about 2 sq miles of land.
The largest car-making manufacturing plant in the world—70 million square feet large—resides in Wolsburg, Germany, pounding out 3,800 Volkswagen vehicles per day 7 of the World's Largest Manufacturing Plants
At 27,878,400 sq feet per sq mile this plant is over 2.5 square miles.
Hmmm so to make EVs using solar panels to generate the electricity would require land area equal to the world's largest auto production plant.

And when you have a full week of mostly cloudy weather like we've had here in SE TX, you're screwed. You'd need triple the panels.

And when you have a full week of mostly cloudy weather like we've had here in SE TX, you're screwed. You'd need triple the panels.

Average number of total days with sun for below 236 days out of 365 or 65% sunny!
sunshinedaysTx.png

Why do you try to paint the most extreme scenarios as the norm? Cold weather is hard on ALL equipment, not just EVs. It's also very difficult on the troops deployed to the cold areas, which is why the military has specialized training for very cold weather.

Fighting wars in extreme cold is the exception, not the norm.

You go to war with the army you got. You have to be prepared for those extreme scenarios. That's why they test equipment in the artic. I was involved in tests of artillery projectiles and protective masks at Ft Greeley AK back in the 70's. We tested from 0 to -40 degrees.

The US Army is going electric – and wants to be net-zero by 2050​

But the EV batteries are not charged! You can't go anywhere!
Unlike the earlier jeeps with their extra tanks of gas in US Green Metal Gas Jerry Can Army Military Fuel 5 Gallon US Jeep.
So will these new EV jeeps carry extra batteries?
Also will the new EV jeeps get charged at night from local utilities?
Where will this electricity come from to charge the EV jeeps?

View attachment 729215
Another brilliant idea from Joe Potatohead's Environmental Wacko buddies?

There goes the great American military. Brought to by the sonofabitch that got rich off the Chinese.

Bet the Chinese military aren't going to go electric. They know better.

Last edited:
logistics are always a problem,, doesnt mean you just say fuck it and do nothing,,

I didn’t say that. I said that part of the reasons behind the Armies desire to go full electric is Logistics. The difficulties of transporting and storing fuel is well known. See Patton’s charge across France for more proof.

I didn’t say that. I said that part of the reasons behind the Armies desire to go full electric is Logistics. The difficulties of transporting and storing fuel is well known. See Patton’s charge across France for more proof.
its easier than trying to produce electricity,,, more so at the scale needed for a charge across france like patton did,,

of course putting a generator on the back of every EV would solve that problem,,

You go to war with the army you got. You have to be prepared for those extreme scenarios. That's why they test equipment in the artic. I was involved in tests of artillery projectiles and protective masks at Ft Greeley AK back in the 70's. We tested from 0 to -40 degrees.

I was trained on the A-10 in Tucson Az, then moved to Langley AFB where i learned and worked on F-15s. We had cold weather training , warm weather training and at the end of my enlistment , desert training. First jets to touch down in Desert Storm 1 were the F-15s that i had worked on. Yeah, the F-15s were all weather high altitude all purpose fighter.

1669168638886.png 1669168701849.png 1669168755100.png

Average number of total days with sun for below 236 days out of 365 or 65% sunny!
View attachment 729601
'Freak Storm' Headed for Texas Could Dump Entire Season of Snow Overnight
AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Joe Lundberg told Newsweek that the massive snowfall by Texas standards is "unusual". However, the season's average snowfall usually accumulates in one storm at any time during the winter season. The earliest accumulated snowfall has been documented as early as late September and as late as early May in the Texas panhandle, but the typical season for potential snowfall is November to March, according to the National Weather Service.

Forum List

Back