So - what is the Tea Party Movement?

The Libertarians and like-minded groups were holding Tea parties and Tax Day protests for many years before Obama. Some groups date back at least to the Clinton Administration if not before. They were mostly small, local and not in the national spotlight, but those people I can respect even if I disagree with them.

The new Tea Partier movement is obviously a mixed bag. I have a hard time sorting out who's real and who's riding the bandwagon. Normal, regular people peacefully protesting for principle (how's that for alliteration?) always get my respect if not necessarily my agreement. The wanna-bes, bandwagoners, usurpers, those advocating violence and various pols wanting to co-opt it or profit from it don't. But as to which groups are which anymore, got me. There's too many to keep straight.

But back then we were called anti-bush protestors by the MSM not "Tea Party Protestors"

I personally feel the bandwagoners and the "Anti-Obama ONLY (that means they show up just to put their thumb in obama's eye)" are what ruin the spirit of the gatherings for many people who would otherwise like to attend one. Much of what they put on signs is distasteful.

That reminds me of the Boston rally me and KGB went to. I got in a verbal shouting fight with an older couple who was their over their anti-abortion sign. I told them their sign offended me and had nothing to do with the spirit of the event, the lady then flipped the sign over and it said "reduce the debt" on the other side which I liked :D.

I tried to explain to them that this wasn't an abortion or anti-obama rally but a pro-people and responsible government rally to which they told me "We have the same rights to express our views in public as you". That kinda shut me up but I still didn't like their anti-abortion sign.

They had a point about the right to expres their views. But it makes it hard not to see them as trying to hijack somebody else's movement and effort for their own agenda.

Yes and it's that perception that is dangerous and that alienates certain segments of society that would be otherwise useful to the cause. I might be over critical, but I have not seen any efforts by those who have exalted themselves as the tea-party "leadership" to separate themselves from those who clearly have an agenda other then just fiscal responsability. Hell, I'm a democrat and I believe that this deficit is out of control. If that's what these things are about I'll pick up a sign my damnself. I don't see that.

What these people seem to want is a good old christian conservative nation... and I'm not a good old conservative christian. I'm pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-marijuana, pro-separation of church and state, and pro-first amendment and I'm a negro.:lol: I don't feel like I'd fit in with this "crowd" no matter how much I believe in fiscal responsability and that's the problem. Now I'd agree with them when it comes to gun rights, but that's about it. But it's hard for me to swallow the "it's about the deficit" pill right now.

I also don't believe in a mass communist conspiracy to take over the nation...

Regardless, to me it just looks like a responce to the Obama presidency. It'll pass. Probably some time after election day 2010 and the libertarian-leaning ron paul folks without an agenda will remain.

But back then we were called anti-bush protestors by the MSM not "Tea Party Protestors"

I personally feel the bandwagoners and the "Anti-Obama ONLY (that means they show up just to put their thumb in obama's eye)" are what ruin the spirit of the gatherings for many people who would otherwise like to attend one. Much of what they put on signs is distasteful.

That reminds me of the Boston rally me and KGB went to. I got in a verbal shouting fight with an older couple who was their over their anti-abortion sign. I told them their sign offended me and had nothing to do with the spirit of the event, the lady then flipped the sign over and it said "reduce the debt" on the other side which I liked :D.

I tried to explain to them that this wasn't an abortion or anti-obama rally but a pro-people and responsible government rally to which they told me "We have the same rights to express our views in public as you". That kinda shut me up but I still didn't like their anti-abortion sign.

They had a point about the right to expres their views. But it makes it hard not to see them as trying to hijack somebody else's movement and effort for their own agenda.

Yes and it's that perception that is dangerous and that alienates certain segments of society that would be otherwise useful to the cause. I might be over critical, but I have not seen any efforts by those who have exalted themselves as the tea-party "leadership" to separate themselves from those who clearly have an agenda other then just fiscal responsability. Hell, I'm a democrat and I believe that this deficit is out of control. If that's what these things are about I'll pick up a sign my damnself. I don't see that.

What these people seem to want is a good old christian conservative nation... and I'm not a good old conservative christian. I'm pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-marijuana, pro-separation of church and state, and pro-first amendment and I'm a negro.:lol: I don't feel like I'd fit in with this "crowd" no matter how much I believe in fiscal responsability and that's the problem. Now I'd agree with them when it comes to gun rights, but that's about it. But it's hard for me to swallow the "it's about the deficit" pill right now.

I also don't believe in a mass communist conspiracy to take over the nation...

Regardless, to me it just looks like a responce to the Obama presidency. It'll pass. Probably some time after election day 2010 and the libertarian-leaning ron paul folks without an agenda will remain.

Hey its my brother from another mother :D. You just described me, minus the skin color. :)

It is stunning watching the depravity of folks who will defend Obama's lies and failures. It's almost like he JUST REALIZED the middle class was somehow in trouble just recently.

Please, the state of our nation today, and the suffering of millions was DELIBERATE.

It is stunning watching the depravity of folks who will defend Obama's lies and failures. It's almost like he JUST REALIZED the middle class was somehow in trouble just recently.

Please, the state of our nation today, and the suffering of millions was DELIBERATE.

:wtf:

Titanic Failure seems to have forgotten all about the rabid apologizers of the last 8 years who's legacy is now coming to fruition :redface:

Titanic Failure seems to have forgotten all about the rabid apologizers of the last 8 years who's legacy is now coming to fruition :redface:

I was just wondering if he picked some random thread to drool on. You mean it really did have something to do with something? :lol:

I was just wondering if he picked some random thread to drool on. You mean it really did have something to do with something? :lol:

Don't mind Titanic, the local insane asylum has recently allowed inmates to have internet access again. :eusa_shhh:

No, Tea-Partiers are not all a bunch of reactionary nutcases.

Yes, they have become a bigger force on the political scene than a good many of us (myself included) anticipated they would.

Doesn't mean I can't still laugh at 'em, though...

A Tea Party convention billed as the coming together of the grass-roots groups that began sprouting up around the country a year ago is unraveling as sponsors and participants pull out to protest its expense and express concerns about "profiteering."

The convention's difficulties highlight the fractiousness of the Tea Party groups, and the considerable suspicions among their members of anything that suggests the establishment.

The convention, to be held in Nashville in early February, made a splash by attracting big-name politicians. (Former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is scheduled to deliver the keynote speech.) But some groups have criticized the cost -- $549 per ticket and a $9.95 fee, plus hotel and airfare -- as out of reach for the average tea partier. And they have balked at Ms. Palin's speaking fee, which news reports have put at $100,000, a figure that organizers will not confirm or deny.

:lol:

The Washington Monthly

Yes, they have become a bigger force on the political scene than a good many of us (myself included) anticipated they would.

A Tea Party convention billed as the coming together of the grass-roots groups that began sprouting up around the country a year ago is unraveling as sponsors and participants pull out to protest its expense and express concerns about "profiteering."

The convention's difficulties highlight the fractiousness of the Tea Party groups, and the considerable suspicions among their members of anything that suggests the establishment.

The convention, to be held in Nashville in early February, made a splash by attracting big-name politicians. (Former Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska is scheduled to deliver the keynote speech.) But some groups have criticized the cost -- $549 per ticket and a $9.95 fee, plus hotel and airfare -- as out of reach for the average tea partier. And they have balked at Ms. Palin's speaking fee, which news reports have put at $100,000, a figure that organizers will not confirm or deny.

The Washington Monthly

Steve Benen: Air America Radio’s The Sam Seder Show, The Rachel Maddow Show

didn't mean to cut your nuts off. did it hurt much ????? :eusa_whistle:

The Washington Monthly

Need glasses?

Self mutilation sucks don't it?

You can't make this stuff up. A real "party of the people"

Genuine teabaggers need not apply

The Washington Monthly

Need glasses?

Self mutilation sucks don't it?

especially when you put up liberal lies. its sucks to be you

Forum List

Back