So what if armed guards are placed in schools?

Then there is a Mall shooting, so armed guards need to be placed there. Then a Church shooting and armed guards are placed there. Then a bus station shooting....and

You getting the message? The NRA would be happy if everyone is packing. Back to the old west. More guns will not solve the problem.:doubt:

Elementary school children are not old enough to CCW. Adults going shopping or taking their kids to church or the mall are old enough. If you are to stupid to CCW, then it is your fault if you or your children get shot.

Forbs Magazine: "In fact law-abiding citizens in America used guns in self-defense 2.5 million times during 1993 (about 6,850 times per day), and actually shot and killed 2 1/2 times as many criminals as police did (1,527 to 606). Those civilian self-defense shootings resulted in less than 1/5th as many incidents as police where an innocent person was mistakenly identified as a criminal (2% versus 11%).

Just how effectively have gun bans worked to make citizens safer in other countries? Take the number of home break-ins while residents are present as an indication. In Canada and Britain, both with tough gun-control laws, nearly half of all burglaries occur when residents are present. But in the U.S. where many households are armed, only about 13% happen when someone is home.

Recognizing clear statistical benefit evidence, 41 states now allow competent, law-abiding adults to carry permitted or permit-exempt concealed handguns. As a result, crime rates in those states have typically fallen at least 10% in the year following enactment."

The problem needs to be addressed on numerous fronts. Mental illness is a huge problem that has been ignored for far too long. Many of the homeless are mentally ill. Until gun issues and the mentally illness problem are addressed, expect to see more Newtowns.

How many mentally ill homeless people have gone on a shooting binge? How many do you think even own a gun?

Then there is a Mall shooting, so armed guards need to be placed there. Then a Church shooting and armed guards are placed there. Then a bus station shooting....and

You getting the message? The NRA would be happy if everyone is packing. Back to the old west. More guns will not solve the problem.:doubt:

This is where Obama and many of his staff send their kids:

Sidwell Friends School.

Sidwell has a security department made up of at least 11 people. Many of those are police officers, who are presumably armed.
Moreover, with the Obama kids in attendance, there is a secret service presence at the institution, as well.

The sad fact is that stricter gun laws couldn't hurt, it's not really the solution. Connecticutt laws are among the most stringent in the nation, there's no way that people in this country will allow their guns to be taken away. The left can bitch about it all they want, it ain't going to happen.

The NRA would be happy if everyone is packing.

Nope, just the good guys.

Back to the old west.

Actually the old west was a far safer place than Hollywood has lead you to believe.

In his book, Frontier Violence: Another Look, author W. Eugene Hollon stated:

In Abilene, Ellsworth, Wichita, Dodge City, and Caldwell, for the years from 1870 to 1885, there were only 45 total homicides. This equates to a rate of approximately 1 murder per 100,000 residents per year.

In Abilene, supposedly one of the wildest of the cow towns, not a single person was killed in 1869 or 1870.

When you consider that many US cities today, often the ones with the toughest gun laws, see over 30 murders per 100,000 residents, a return to “wild west” levels of violent crime would be a huge improvement.

More guns will not solve the problem.

Nobody is asking for more guns. What we're saying don't enact laws that only serve to put law abiding citizens at a tactical disadvantage against criminals that do not care about your regulations.

The problem needs to be addressed on numerous fronts. Mental illness is a huge problem that has been ignored for far too long. Many of the homeless are mentally ill. Until gun issues and the mentally illness problem are addressed, expect to see more Newtowns.

How many mentally ill homeless people have gone on a shooting binge? How many do you think even own a gun?

The loon in CN was mentally ill. His mother was attempting to put him in a facility for treatment.

What a sad, sad reflection of American society if armed guards are roaming public school hallways.

Yep, and what's even sadder is they are there to protect teachers and students form other students. We have a social problem alright, we're not teaching our children proper values.

So who is supposed to teach "proper values"? I thought the parents of the children were supposed to take care of that, not the teachers.

As far as arming teachers in schools? Really? Because many of you conservatives have stated REPEATEDLY that teachers get too much money, and have put in many cuts to education.

Think about it...............you go ahead and arm the teachers, but what happens when the conservatives start going after teachers pay and union rights? Do you REALLY want to see a hostage situation where it's not the union that negotiates for the teachers, but rather someone with a weapon who has a whole classroom hostage?

Oh................and as far as small government goes, putting armed guards in the schools sure ain't the way to go. Besides, who's gonna pay for it? The NRA?

True, after years of conservatives vilifying teachers, calling them ‘union thugs,’ and denouncing them for ‘incompetence,’ now all of sudden these very same teachers are expected to combat criminals in schools and be proficient with handguns.

The loon in CN was mentally ill. His mother was attempting to put him in a facility for treatment.

Yet she allowed him access to weapons, go figure. You want someone to blame, she is the one that screwed up and it cost her everything.

How about rescinding the laws that say you have a free hand in certain areas. My wife said a Federal Sky Marshal type program would probably get allowed (she is a professor)
in schools. They would be un-uniformed that way any potential perp wouldn't know who it is that would kill him.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Why do all of your solutions equal the bad guys being armed and the innocent victims being disarmed? Are you retarded?

Jim didn't say that... And he is correct, many of our homeless are mentally ill and have no chance on their own.

However, most of these massacres are committed by mentally ill people.

Just remember... Not all mentally ill people are homeless.

Jeez, now I'm cornfuz'd :eusa_eh:

Every seen the armed guards at these places? I wouldn't trust them to hit the side of a barn if push came to shove.

I don't think the NRA wants the wild west, nor do they want everyone armed. I think they were suggesting what the public thinks it wants... a feel good safety net.

Also... suggesting armed guards in schools is nothing new. Many schools already HAVE armed guards on campus.

Yup. Columbine had one. See how that worked out.
He was a cop and he was not there at the time the shooting started.

The schools in my district have at least one and up to four cops assigned to them, depending on size. This has been the practice for quite some time. Ironically, no mass school shootings, either. Few, if any, single shootings, too.

How odd. (Not really)

Every seen the armed guards at these places? I wouldn't trust them to hit the side of a barn if push came to shove.

I don't think the NRA wants the wild west, nor do they want everyone armed. I think they were suggesting what the public thinks it wants... a feel good safety net.

Also... suggesting armed guards in schools is nothing new. Many schools already HAVE armed guards on campus.

I am not saying it does work. Unless the shooter comes in right in front of the guard it would take to long to get to the scene to do any good.

the parents want a feel good... seeing an armed guard is a feel good and that's about it.

However... if you are going to go that route.... if all of the teachers were armed.... it may make a difference.

I am not saying it does work. Unless the shooter comes in right in front of the guard it would take to long to get to the scene to do any good.

the parents want a feel good... seeing an armed guard is a feel good and that's about it.

However... if you are going to go that route.... if all of the teachers were armed.... it may make a difference.

I think arming teachers sounds better than simply putting a single guard in front of a school, but then you have the issue of people unwilling to kill, so having a guard or two as a fail safe would be a decent idea... takes way to long to wait for cops to show up.

So what if armed guards are placed in schools?

If this happens, most likely the kids will stop chewing gum in class and copying others' homework.

I think arming teachers sounds better than simply putting a single guard in front of a school, but then you have the issue of people unwilling to kill, so having a guard or two as a fail safe would be a decent idea... takes way to long to wait for cops to show up.

If a teacher is unwilling to kill and die to protect my child from a shooter bent on murdering my child... then my child is not safe with that teacher or that school.

simple as that.

If a teacher is unwilling to kill and die to protect my child from a shooter bent on murdering my child... then my child is not safe with that teacher or that school.

simple as that.

I cant help but agree, but I'm all about killing to save the innocent, they really should hire honorably discharged vets as guards, maybe take a year or two off that inactive reserve status as an incentive. I'd gladly fight and die to save child.

simple as that.

I cant help but agree, but I'm all about killing to save the innocent, they really should hire honorably discharged vets as guards, maybe take a year or two off that inactive reserve status as an incentive. I'd gladly fight and die to save child.

thing is... the teachers in newtown did try and protect the children. I know i would have rather had them armed with at least a fighting chance on their side.

good idea though about giving a job like that to honorably discharged vets..... I would trust them with a weapon more then the people i see as "armed guards" Door shakers are useless.

You cannot guarantee every child's safety, with guns and guards or changes in the gun laws. But there oughta be ways to cut down the chances for such an event from happening, make it harder for a nutjob to succeed. Mounted and monitored cameras, a small security force that can engage the bad guy before he gets to the kids, maybe a locked and bulletproof door? If that's too expensive, maybe some unarmed volunteers checking school visitors before they gain entrance to the school. A lotta retired military guys would do it, I know I would.

Forum List

Back