So the same Conservatives who wanted us to default...

are now acting as if the credit downgrade is a disaster,

and it's Obama's fault?

Seriously? Did they really think default would not also lead to a credit downgrade??

Didn't they think that default would be no big deal? That we'd just pay the interest and everything would be fine??

CriticalThinking.org - Defining Critical Thinking

Michele Bachmann voted against raising the debt and definitely did want to default;

now she's ranting about how the president is to blame for this horrible downgrade.

She WANTED a downgrade, and more. As did any and all conservatives who were willing to default.

Not many have benefited so much as Michelle Bachmann and her husband from our "welfare state". This woman is absolutely laughable. The scary part is a lot of people support her thinking, while ignoring her real life experience.

Not many have benefited so much as Michelle Bachmann and her husband from our "welfare state". This woman is absolutely laughable. The scary part is a lot of people support her thinking, while ignoring her real life experience.

She has far more experience then our Boob In Chief and she's a whole lot more right as well. I don't see an issue.

Michele Bachmann voted against raising the debt and definitely did want to default;

now she's ranting about how the president is to blame for this horrible downgrade.

She WANTED a downgrade, and more. As did any and all conservatives who were willing to default.

Not defending Bachmann, I can't stand her... I just want to point out to Obama's real life experience.

If Obama had gotten what he wanted, we still would have been downgraded.

So, he - Obama - poisoned our rating.

No, it's very clear that is was dedication to ideology over country that drove down the credit rating. Obama, the Dems, the GOP and particularly the Tea Party are all responsible.

The downgrade was because our spending was out of control and the Tea Party are the only ones who want to actually cut spending. And that's "ideology" and they are "responsible" as well. Buy a clue, my friend...

If Obama had gotten what he wanted, we still would have been downgraded.

So, he - Obama - poisoned our rating.

No, it's very clear that is was dedication to ideology over country that drove down the credit rating. Obama, the Dems, the GOP and particularly the Tea Party are all responsible.

The downgrade was because our spending was out of control and the Tea Party are the only ones who want to actually cut spending. And that's "ideology" and they are "responsible" as well. Buy a clue, my friend...

after the downgrade can you really trust what the Left says about finances and the economy
For example PapaObama Care was going to instantly create 400,000 jobs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNiLYEiFUMU]‪Obamacare will create 400,000 jobs ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, says Choppy Hands McBotox‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

It was the wrangling, stupid...

I agree. The cluster fuck known at the "negotiation process" probably did as much to contribute to this as anything.

Now that it is obvious that Dems and Republicans can't work together for any sort of meaningful compromise, the future looks bleak.

When each is only concerned about their political futures and not about the future of the economy and of the Nation...well, let me just say I've got property, wildlife and plenty of ammunition...

It was the wrangling, stupid...

I agree. The cluster fuck known at the "negotiation process" probably did as much to contribute to this as anything.

Now that it is obvious that Dems and Republicans can't work together for any sort of meaningful compromise, the future looks bleak.

When each is only concerned about their political futures and not about the future of the economy and of the Nation...well, let me just say I've got property, wildlife and plenty of ammunition...

The Tea Party wants to cut spending because our deficits are too high. There is obviously no correlation between spending and deficits, it's obviously just a political ploy. You convinced me, I'm against them now.

If Obama wanted a default, he wouldn't have signed the compromise

Actually he would because then even with the liberal media spreading the lie we were going to "default" (interest payments are $20 billion/month, tax revenue is $200 billion/month), it would be hard to explain why we didn't default. He absolutely had to sign it.

The oh so predictable "Liberal Media Conspiracy".

Fail.

The downgrade is clearly a consequence of the TPM’s tactic of obstruction, extremism, and lies. The financial well being is clearly the responsibility of Congress, the House in particular, given its Constitutional mandate to control the purse strings. Congress alone is responsible to pass legislation in a timely manner to ensure the Nation’s financial house is in order.

At this the House has failed miserably. And to blame Obama is an insult to the intelligence of the American people, their disdain for Congress and the TPM is evidence they know the GOP is responsible for this and other economic failures.

The tragedy of this is, of course, it could have all be avoided. Had the House acted responsibly and worked with the Senate and president to develop a plan to heal the economy, faith in the debt and markets would be much higher. Instead they elected to play partisan politics, to make ‘getting rid of Obama’ their number one priority, not jobs and the economic recovery.

uh huh. a stitch in time saves nine or whatever.....notice the date, this was all intended to go to the last minute as usual a game they both play and, of course the dems knew that this issue was alive before they lost the house too, but hey..why let a crisis go to waste ..right?

Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts
By Ezra Klein
Posted at 4:06 PM ET, 12/ 9/2010

What's important to understand about the debt-ceiling vote -- where Democrats and Republicans will either strike a deal to increase the Treasury's borrowing cap or the country will collapse into default -- is that it's not like Democrats have simply forgotten about it. It's not that they haven't realized that they could tie it to the tax cuts, which Republicans want and which will add $900 billion to the debt. It's that they simply don't want to. “Let the Republicans have some buy-in on the debt. They’re going to have a majority in the House,” said Harry Reid. “I don’t think it should be when we have a heavily Democratic Senate, heavily Democratic House and a Democratic president.”

The theory goes something like this: Republicans will demand sharp spending cuts in return for lifting the debt ceiling. Let them. "Boehner et al have had the luxury of proposing all sorts of ideas that bear no relation to reality," says Jim Manley, Reid's spokesman. "Next year, they’ll have to lay it all out. No more magic asterisks, no more 'we’ll get back to you.’ "

In this telling, the debt ceiling vote represents a trap for Republicans more than an opportunity for Democrats. If Republicans want to cut spending, now's their chance. But that means passing a package of spending cuts, which they may find less enjoyable than simply saying that Democrats should stop spending so much. And if the American people aren't supportive of the Republicans’ spending cuts, the GOP will be caught defending an unpopular package as part of a political gambit that could lead to the bankruptcy of the United State of America.

more at-
Ezra Klein - Why Democrats don't want to tie the debt ceiling to the tax cuts

If Obama wanted a default, he wouldn't have signed the compromise

Actually he would because then even with the liberal media spreading the lie we were going to "default" (interest payments are $20 billion/month, tax revenue is $200 billion/month), it would be hard to explain why we didn't default. He absolutely had to sign it.

Fail.

Note I gave facts and you gave me a subjective waive of the hand talking point. Typical liberal argument. Since I did give you facts, rather then farting why don't you address the point? How would we have "defaulted" since we get 10 times the tax revenue it would have taken to continue the payments?

are now acting as if the credit downgrade is a disaster,

and it's Obama's fault?

Seriously? Did they really think default would not also lead to a credit downgrade??

Didn't they think that default would be no big deal? That we'd just pay the interest and everything would be fine??

Who are these conservatives? I hope you’re not talking about the Tea Party conservatives that put up the balanced budget in 5 years... cuz that would make you look like a real idiot being it has been spammed at you directly on these boards.

Are you a hyper partisan by chance?

Fail.

Note I gave facts and you gave me a subjective waive of the hand talking point. Typical liberal argument. Since I did give you facts, rather then farting why don't you address the point? How would we have "defaulted" since we get 10 times the tax revenue it would have taken to continue the payments?

You appear to be confused.

Your speculation on what the future might have held are not "facts".

I see, first - to quote Modbert-

Cool, so we're defining entire political spectrums by one person now?

:lol:

in any event, critical thinking is required to parse what I thought was a simple message- we have to deal wiht the issue, not assemble some political attuned patchwork BS, under threat of such we would deal with it, yet? and here we are.

IF that meant ( and I do not agree wholly) default would have focused out minds and forced the changes necessary a downgrade or default would be dim memories, since we would have turned a corner and put ourselves on a sound fiscal/financial footing. that was and IS the key.

So now we're going to pretend that only Michele Bachmann was opposed to raising the debt ceiling?

What a surprise. Another rightwing history revision.

Soo answer me this... If the bad budget that passed the house, the Senate and Obama is the reason the US credit was downgraded then wouldn't the people that voted against the bad budget be on to something?

The downgrade happened not because of who voted against it but because the bill was bad, so anyone who voted for it to get it passed caused this.

Fail.

Why don't you not quote posts if you're not going to address them? You know you can just create a post, you don't have to "quote" one.

in any event, critical thinking is required to parse what I thought was a simple message- we have to deal wiht the issue, not assemble some political attuned patchwork BS, under threat of such we would deal with it, yet? and here we are.

IF that meant ( and I do not agree wholly) default would have focused out minds and forced the changes necessary a downgrade or default would be dim memories, since we would have turned a corner and put ourselves on a sound fiscal/financial footing. that was and IS the key.

So now we're going to pretend that only Michele Bachmann was opposed to raising the debt ceiling?

Soo answer me this... If the bad budget that passed the house, the Senate and Obama is the reason the US credit was downgraded then wouldn't the people that voted against the bad budget be on to something?

The downgrade happened not because of who voted against it but because the bill was bad, so anyone who voted for it to get it passed caused this.

You honestly think we wouldn't have been downgraded if no compromise was reached and the clock simply ran out?

Get real.

Why don't you not quote posts if you're not going to address them? You know you can just create a post, you don't have to "quote" one.

What?

Try again, and use the Queen's English this time.

So let me get this straight: Bachmann voted against the debt ceiling deal, which would have certainly resulted in a credit downgrade (probably by Moody and Fitch as well as S&P).

Moody's, Fitch affirm U.S. credit rating - For now - CBS News

And now has the Chutzpah to blast Obama and Congress for the credit downgrade? From the very beginning, Bachmann simply positioned herself to be anti-whatever Washington does to try and fix this mess with the hopes that she could sit back and sound smart when everything didn't come up roses. This is just absurd posturing by Bachmann and further illustrates that she has little interest in real solutions and is only interested in her own political star.

I am not a Boehner fan, but fuck, at least they were trying to avoid a crisis (even if I don't agree with the underhanded way they went about it).

It's laughable that she is even given any time on this matter.

This is OPED, but basically nails Bachmann down. Like a coward, she's latched her wagon to not having to take a stand for any sort of workable solution.

Michele Bachmann's Default Plan: Duck and Cover - GOP candidate seems to be rooting for a collapse, Dana Milbank says
Michele Bachmann’s defaulty logic - The Washington Post

No, because the bill last week raised the debt ceiling. Anyone who voted against it wanted us to default on at least 40% of our obligations. Common sense should tell you that such a circumstance would have been viewed even more negatively by the raters.

Forum List

Back