So Let's Pretend You Are Going To Build a House to Last 1000 years....

A combination of rock/masonry foundation and shell with a dense hardwood frame joined by mortisse and tenon joinery (as opposed to rusting metal plates stamped with hundreds of teeth) seems to be a very durable combination.
Agreed. Look at all of the structures constructed in a similar fashion that are several hundred years old in London alone.
A home only last as long as there is someone to maintain it..

This cottage was abandoned for a time and even used as a bloody hospital during a battle and is still with us.

Leanach Farmhouse in Scotland

Even stainless steel will rust and in the course of centuries who knows what would be the eternal alloy?
Only the cheaper grades of stainless steel will eventually rust. ....... :cool:
Thats not what some diving friends have told me. They have seen countless 'rust proof' items, especially knives rust despite guarantees to the contrary.

Stainless Steel — Can It Rust? You Bet. « Daily Bulletin

18-8 Stainless steel, 304, 316 Stainless Steel Corrosion

Even manufacturers of 'designer' alloys only claim 'corrosion resistance'.
Corrosion

th

Some have been standing for centuries.

Custom fit it to your needs

Spent a few years in New Mexico and the Adobe will stay cool in the summer and with a fireplace can warm up nicely.

My Aunt and Uncle almost bought one outside Santa Fe, and wish they had!

If you take a trip back to DC you will find all of the brick homes standing after hundreds of years.. They stand in time.
Of coarse as far as zoning in California and earthquakes stone, adobe, brick concrete would never pass the inspections..

I built a wood home with concrete siding in California 15 years ago looks and is a durable strong siding.

Thats not what some diving friends have told me. They have seen countless 'rust proof' items, especially knives rust despite guarantees to the contrary.
Stainless steel comes in many grades. The lower grades cost less and will sometimes even attract a magnet.

The problem with with stainless steel is that it is quite a bit softer than regular steel. The highest strength nut and bolt made from high quality stainless steel is only a grade #5. While regular steel can be found in grade #8 or #9, and is much, much stronger.

Your friends diving knife is made out of lower quality stainless steel, which contains more carbon to give it greater strength. Which explains why he is experiencing rusting knives. ...... :cool:

Hempcrete is an all-around good material for construction. At $133 per square foot, this house is a pretty good bargain with sustainability.

Nation's First Hemp House Makes A Healthy Statement

There's a bridge in France made with hempcrete. It's over 2,000 years old and still standing.

Not to be "that guy" that goes on about hemp and cannabis every chance he gets, but a massive new American industry is ripe and about to blossom, and it's on my capitalist mind a lot lately.

Last edited:
Stainless steel comes in many grades. The lower grades cost less and will sometimes even attract a magnet.

The problem with with stainless steel is that it is quite a bit softer than regular steel. The highest strength nut and bolt made from high quality stainless steel is only a grade #5. While regular steel can be found in grade #8 or #9, and is much, much stronger.

Your friends diving knife is made out of lower quality stainless steel, which contains more carbon to give it greater strength. Which explains why he is experiencing rusting knives. ...... :cool:
Gues we have to agree to disagree.

I ran a turret lathe in college and cutting stainless steel rods was much more difficult than normal untempered steel. Tempered steel can be much harder, but you can temper stainless steel too.

Have fun.

How would you do it with available materials while controlling costs?

Conditions are
1) cant be over $150/square foot.
2) Cant be made of toxic materials
3) Has to pass building code in most places int he USA
4) has to be pleasant to see (dont want our eternal home to be burned down by angry naighbors weilding pitch forks)

Timber framed houses look like the best and easiest answer, but how many builders make that kind of house anymore and what would you do to get standard blue prints modified to use Timber frames?

Are there cheaper ways to avoid rusting metal joins and plates without going back to 14th century technology?

I am open to any suggestions as my wife and I are looking for ideas to make our house last as long as a house can reasonably be made to last and passed down in the family.
Cave.

Conditions are
4) has to be pleasant to see (dont want our eternal home to be burned down by angry naighbors weilding pitch forks)

Timber framed houses look like the best and easiest answer, but how many builders make that kind of house anymore and what would you do to get standard blue prints modified to use Timber frames?

Are there cheaper ways to avoid rusting metal joins and plates without going back to 14th century technology?

I am open to any suggestions as my wife and I are looking for ideas to make our house last as long as a house can reasonably be made to last and passed down in the family.
Cave.
But how does a cave pass building codes?

:)

Conditions are

Cave.

No codes needed. It's a cave. :)

9cfe7bc680b6c4b4b6e3e98dbf264606.jpg

8ee5af0e81ac7aa4f89219f105e5faad.jpg

07a_resize.jpg

external

cave_house_living_room.jpg

Conditions are

Cave.

07a_resize.jpg

external

Well, in Spotsylvania VA if you run power out to it, it has to pass code, but maybe thats just here in this county.....

Conditions are

Cave.

07a_resize.jpg

external

Now THAT'S a man cave!
tx6McUf.jpg

Conditions are

Heavy timber homes have become very popular. There are numerous heavy timber structures still in existence today that are well over 1000 years old. A builder will design the home for you. You don't modify standard blue prints to use heavy timbers. The house should be designed from the ground up to use heavy timbers. They provide a lot of design flexibility that just isn't available with stick frame construction. Heavy timber homes are beautiful, especially on the inside.

Conditions are

Timber Frame Home Interiors

Conditions are

Heavy timber homes have become very popular. There are numerous heavy timber structures still in existence today that are well over 1000 years old. A builder will design the home for you. You don't modify standard blue prints to use heavy timbers. The house should be designed from the ground up to use heavy timbers. They provide a lot of design flexibility that just isn't available with stick frame construction. Heavy timber homes are beautiful, especially on the inside.

I agree but finding one for Western Virginia is the problem.

Make a concrete house..
You're pretty close with that.
The Romans used concrete in construction, and a lot is still intact (or nearly so) over 2,000 years later.
And they didn't use steel rebar for tining...
They used iron pegs set in lead, but that has resale implications today.
If you want it to last 100 years so you can pass it down resale doesn't matter only longevity

If you want it to last 100 years so you can pass it down resale doesn't matter only longevity
True, but if none of the kids can or want to take the house, its plausible that despite my best wishes I can only resell it.

I would like to plan for both possibilities, though I do admit that the durability of the home is much less of a reselling point.

Forum List

Back