So I quit my job.

Crixus

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2015
BFE Texas.
did it at 7:30AM this day. I worked there over 20 years as a utility locator and gas specilast. Was also one of the companies longest serving techs. Over the last year they have been (in my opinion) leaning on the older guys to either move up and become lead techs or managers. I got pulled in the office two weeks ago, and was flat told I needed to become a supervisor or move on as they have enough techs. I knew the moment was coming, and I knew I would not take a supervisory roll, so this is how it ended. I get one more raise and my last day will be November 5th. Glad I got Christmas mostly covered! So now I been thinking about school. My Brother has a security gig I'm interested in and I have been working as a door man at a strip club here lately. Basically I'm back to where I started when I was 20 career wise, but I'm not flat ass busted. I looked back at the USDA again, but I am passed the age cut off. Meh.

did it at 7:30AM this day. I worked there over 20 years as a utility locator and gas specilast. Was also one of the companies longest serving techs. Over the last year they have been (in my opinion) leaning on the older guys to either move up and become lead techs or managers. I got pulled in the office two weeks ago, and was flat told I needed to become a supervisor or move on as they have enough techs. I knew the moment was coming, and I knew I would not take a supervisory roll, so this is how it ended. I get one more raise and my last day will be November 5th. Glad I got Christmas mostly covered! So now I been thinking about school. My Brother has a security gig I'm interested in and I have been working as a door man at a strip club here lately. Basically I'm back to where I started when I was 20 career wise, but I'm not flat ass busted. I looked back at the USDA again, but I am passed the age cut off. Meh.
Good luck, Crixius. It's their loss to lose you, and I hope they feel it.

Ever have your cable cut? They lose a ton of experience all the time. Locating has like a billion percent turnover. Very stressful! Honestly, I won't miss it at all. Some of the people, like two.

Good luck and Godspeed!!! You're never too old to go back to school....just stay away from left loon profs

I'm curious. Why didn't you want to take a Supervisory job?

/----/ What's wrong with being a Supervisor?

Ever have your cable cut? They lose a ton of experience all the time. Locating has like a billion percent turnover. Very stressful! Honestly, I won't miss it at all. Some of the people, like two.
Pennywise and pound foolish, sounds like to me. Get rid of the guys who've been there a long time because they are making too much $$.
I left a really hard job once and until I left, I hadn't realized just how hard and just how stressed it made me. So it might be a good change, so long as you can keep feeding yourself.
I make less money now but it was so worth it to get out of there.

/----/ What's wrong with being a Supervisor?
I did it once for about eight months as a favor to a boss who was in a personnel pinch. I hated it. It was boring as hell just coordinating everyone else doing their jobs and checking what time it was when they walked in the door. I asked for my old job back, which was challenging and I really liked. They were surprised, but they let me.

I suppose it depends on what your duties are as a supervisor.

I was always of the mind that you don't quit a job until you have a better one lined up

Hate to see a good locator leave. What we get most of the time is some kid who couldn't find a gas meter, much less a buried line.

Hate to see a good locator leave. What we get most of the time is some kid who couldn't find a gas meter, much less a buried line.

So you know! I did it for 21 years and with the same company I started with. Lots of them left to this last time. It's cool that someone understands why one would quit rather then supervise. I don't know anyone who did more then two years before the quit or got fired. But yeah, they really need to put some effort into the folks they hire. On avrage a new hire his first time out will get a bunch of cut cable drops and despite what they say, they get new hires right out marking high profile stuff. They only have to wait if they are looking for gas mains. The guy who is moving into my truck has been locating 8 months. He is a lead tech and he is already blowing up my phone! Poor bastard. I got an interview with center point on Monday locating gas. Sounds like a Nice change so far.

So you know! I did it for 21 years and with the same company I started with. Lots of them left to this last time. It's cool that someone understands why one would quit rather then supervise. I don't know anyone who did more then two years before the quit or got fired. But yeah, they really need to put some effort into the folks they hire. On avrage a new hire his first time out will get a bunch of cut cable drops and despite what they say, they get new hires right out marking high profile stuff. They only have to wait if they are looking for gas mains. The guy who is moving into my truck has been locating 8 months. He is a lead tech and he is already blowing up my phone! Poor bastard. I got an interview with center point on Monday locating gas. Sounds like a Nice change so far.

New locators are terrible. I remember one guy, had mismarked a big fiber. My foreman called saying he was going to kick the guys ass if I didn't get there quick. When I got the my foreman showed me where the guy had remarked the line. Then he lied about it. But the dumbass had sprayed pain on the spoil pile (dirt piled up after digging). So it was pretty obvious.

These days, with so many utilities buried close together, it is critical to get clean locates. I've never understood how locate companies don't keep good locators but have to pay claims when they use bad ones.

Forum List

Back