So, I Don't Understand...Do Christians Go By...?

As A Christian, Do You Live By...?

• The New Testament Only.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly the New Testament, but some of the Old as well.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, how does the Church/Pope know what to vary from in the Bible. What I mean is, why don't they think disobedient children should be killed?

Do you think its the 10 Commandments and not Hammurabai or even the social contract theory (i.e. let's agree that you won't kill me and I won't kill you)? And why can the Commandments sort of be stepped around, like Thou Shalt Not Kill (except in self-defense, times of war, etc.)?

Why don't they think disobedient children should be killed?

1.) It would be a much less popular religion, which means less $$$.

2.) It would seem barbaric today considering how much we as human beings have changed (in some ways) since the Bible was first written.

Hammurabi's Code is something we have not adapted in America because rather then killing everybody, they settle things in court along with not seeking vengeance. Under Hammurabi's Code, child rapists for example would probably have their dicks chopped off if not killed.

The Church itself created many of the side-steps around the 10 commandments. For example, Jesus is more of a Pacifist and doesn't believe we should kill anyone (when it comes to war). However, the church can't exactly win the Crusades if they have a bunch of no killing folk. So they make exceptions such as self-defense, war, etc.

It's all about marketing itself in the best way possible to people today.

Well, how does the Church/Pope know what to vary from in the Bible. What I mean is, why don't they think disobedient children should be killed?

Do you think its the 10 Commandments and not Hammurabai or even the social contract theory (i.e. let's agree that you won't kill me and I won't kill you)? And why can the Commandments sort of be stepped around, like Thou Shalt Not Kill (except in self-defense, times of war, etc.)?

Why don't they think disobedient children should be killed?

1.) It would be a much less popular religion, which means less $$$.

2.) It would seem barbaric today considering how much we as human beings have changed (in some ways) since the Bible was first written.

Hammurabi's Code is something we have not adapted in America because rather then killing everybody, they settle things in court along with not seeking vengeance. Under Hammurabi's Code, child rapists for example would probably have their dicks chopped off if not killed.

The Church itself created many of the side-steps around the 10 commandments. For example, Jesus is more of a Pacifist and doesn't believe we should kill anyone (when it comes to war). However, the church can't exactly win the Crusades if they have a bunch of no killing folk. So they make exceptions such as self-defense, war, etc.

It's all about marketing itself in the best way possible to people today.

Wow, that's the most pragmatic answer I could've ever expected. I thought you were going to answer that they have scholars and Biblical philosophers who, based upon the authority granted them by the Pope and therefore by God, interpret the Bible in order to guide His flock. I admire your un-filtered, not watered down perspective of your religion.

Both Testaments are equally important. One source of confusion that many people have is the purpose of the Testaments. The Old Testament is a book of laws, poems, proverbs and history all focused on one thing... our need for reconciliation with God the creator. It shows us our need for the savior. The Old Testament laws are a guide for us to follow. Perfect beings would follow the laws of the Old Testament and be reconciled with God. It is NOT simply a book of laws that you must follow or be sent to prison for all eternity.

However, we are not perfect beings. We need a savior to accomplish the task of reconciling us with God. The New Testament, from the Gospel to the Book of Revelation, show us who that savior is and God's plan to reconcile us with God.

Therefore, we believe and follow both testaments. We do not believe that we are perfect nor that you should be perfect. We believe that Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the law for us. We believe that all men are sinners and cannot by their own power accomplish the task of reconciling ourselves with God. We believe that even the slighest sin separates us from God for all eternity if it were not for the gift of God's Grace given through the Blood of Christ.

Immie

Thank you Immie, you gave a very good explanation. And that's what I meant whenever I spoke of the old testament. We wouldn't have needed Jesus Christ or the new testament if the old testament laws were able to be followed to the letter. As you said, humans are not perfect and the new testament was a way to God through Jesus, and I place much more emphasis on the new testament and what Jesus preached. The way you stated it is just about perfect. :clap2:

Hey! I haven't attacked anyone on this thread! That hurts BBD. Can't a man change? I oughta neg rep you for that. But I won't because I'm a merciful, forgiving USMB member.

That's one of the things I love about you. You are so full of empathy. Please forgive me.:lol:

The New Testament, or both the Old and the New Testaments?

I know, I know. You're thinking, "Oh, God, CMM has started another Christian-bashing thread disguised as an honest inquiry and as soon as I reply he's going to attack me..."

Not this time. I'm actually confused about this. Newby, a Christian I've argued with over and over again, said something that made me think about this. She says she doesn't read the OT. And I thought, but don't Christians live by the 10 Commandments?

I'm confused about this. If you don't go by the OT, do you still follow the 10 Commandments, and if you still follow the 10 Commandments, why not all the rest of Leviticus? If you just adhere to what was written in the NT, why, and why not the OT? What makes the difference? I've read the Bible, but that doesn't mean I studied it and to me it is a really confusing book (probably because I don't believe), but I always thought one was considered to have been written before Christ and the other after and that was the only differentiation.

It is a little hard to explain, but I will do my best to help

Jesus became the "LAW, AKA known as the 10 commandments. It is "humanly" impossible to keep the "Law" as written. Jesus is the Law that was pinned to the cross to atone for all of our sins, past present and future, and that is what we call "Grace" Mercy; clemency.

The OT is an example of what we are, who we can never be, what we can never do...the NT, is all about the free gift of salvation.

OH yeah, the OT, is also an example of what Jesus AKA as Christ delivered us from having to do. You either accept the free gift, or keep the WHOLE LAW, I will take the gift, thanks

Last edited:

Forum List

Back