So, I am considering this question.....

Oct 8, 2009
Should the poster you all know as California Girl join the Republican Party?

Now, I have always determinedly remained independent of either party. However, recently I have wondered whether it is better to stand outside the two parties and vote for whoever I see as most representative of not just my view but who best represents the 'American way' or should I join one of the parties and push for that party to become what it should be instead of the party as they currently are.

Obviously, the dems are doomed. Far too many 'far left' members and nowhere close to the 'American way'. So, I am left with the Republicans.... now, the GOP are not a great party and have far too many idiots but more likely to be a 'home' for someone like me.

The benefits of joining, to me, would be:

1. The party needs more 'voices', instead the 'old white guys'.

2. I keep being accused of being a Republican anyway so it would save me the bother of defending my non-republicanism.

3. It would annoy the crap out of JokeDorkey who thinks of the GOP as 'his' party.

So, friends, Romans, countrymen, should I join or should I not join? I am not, by nature, a joiner. Would I be happy as a Republican?

Well as one of those Republicans, I say yes, I welcome anyone that has passion and love for this nation. So should I tell the RNC your membership dues are on the way? lol

Now, I have always determinedly remained independent of either party. However, recently I have wondered whether it is better to stand outside the two parties and vote for whoever I see as most representative of not just my view but who best represents the 'American way' or should I join one of the parties and push for that party to become what it should be instead of the party as they currently are.

Obviously, the dems are doomed. Far too many 'far left' members and nowhere close to the 'American way'. So, I am left with the Republicans.... now, the GOP are not a great party and have far too many idiots but more likely to be a 'home' for someone like me.

2. I keep being accused of being a Republican anyway so it would save me the bother of defending my non-republicanism.

3. It would annoy the crap out of JokeDorkey who thinks of the GOP as 'his' party.

So, friends, Romans, countrymen, should I join or should I not join? I am not, by nature, a joiner. Would I be happy as a Republican?

well, you might want to look at the 2008 GOP Platform. you either agree or not.

http://www.gop.com/2008Platform/

• Banned

well, you might want to look at the 2008 GOP Platform. you either agree or not.

http://www.gop.com/2008Platform/

:lol::lol: Darn, why didn't I think of that? :lol:

I have. I am in agreement with some of it, but I also am in agreement with some of the democrats agenda.

I wouldn't do it (this coming from someone who has left the GOP). But it's your call. I am tired of the fringes taking over our 2 party system. In both cases, it doesn't seem that those of us with mixed feelings on social and fiscal issues are welcome to their ever shrinking tents.

-TSO

I wouldn't do it (this coming from someone who has left the GOP). But it's your call. I am tired of the fringes taking over our 2 party system. In both cases, it doesn't seem that those of us with mixed feelings on social and fiscal issues are welcome to their ever shrinking tents.

-TSO

That's a good point. I said as much to JokeDorky with his stupid sig of 'cleaning out "his" republican party... one wingnut at a time'. It is people like him with his narrow stupidity that make me think the GOP is not a place for those who do not conform.... but, to be honest, I figure that Joke is actually a democrat. After all, it is the left who are intolerate towards others.

After all, it is the left who are intolerate towards others.

That's not quite true. I myself support the right of gays to get married. Discuss that with most social conservatives in the GOP, and should you be a Republican, be prepared to be labeled "RINO". It's the fringes on both sides that are intolerant. Intolerant of anyone that does not agree with them.

-TSO

After all, it is the left who are intolerate towards others.

That's not quite true. I myself support the right of gays to get married. Discuss that with most social conservatives in the GOP, and should you be a Republican, be prepared to be labeled "RINO". It's the fringes on both sides that are intolerant. Intolerant of anyone that does not agree with them.

-TSO

I'm happy for 'civil partnerships' for gays, giving them the legal rights and responsibilities of 'marriage'... but, to me, 'marriage' is religious and for that end I don't support gays having the right to force a Church (such as the Catholic Church) to marry them.

Why is it we're all supposed to recognise the 'rights' of others, but no one ever talks about the 'responsibilities' that come with the 'rights'?

Become a Republican but only if you are a fit with the major beliefs. We do not need another liberal Republican that votes with the dems more then the Republicans on issues.

I'm happy for 'civil partnerships' for gays, giving them the legal rights and responsibilities of 'marriage'... but, to me, 'marriage' is religious and for that end I don't support gays having the right to force a Church (such as the Catholic Church) to marry them.

Why is it we're all supposed to recognise the 'rights' of others, but no one ever talks about the 'responsibilities' that come with the 'rights'?

Here's the thing. Nobody can force the church to "marry" anyone. I am not Catholic (but did attend a Catholic High School) I cannot force them to "marry" me in their church. I would have to agree to converting or at least go through their classes and be approved by a priest.

-TSO

When you become a member CG, please tell the RNC Michael Steele is great on TV as a commentator, but not so good at running a political party would you? I mean , here you have Scott Brown on his own gets this close in a race that should have been a walk in the park for the Democrats and what has the RNC given him for help " ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!" It would be nice to see people in the party that want to really do some good and I mean that.

For as much as I disagree with his politics, Howard Dean did a hellva good job getting the DNC squared away. His 50 state plan helped them tremendously to regain the House and Senate (not to mention the crappy moves by the Republicans). The RNC would be well served to try and emulate Dean's leadership of his party.

-TSO

There is a lot to be said about good leadership and when you have one like we have in Steele who is more interested in TV shows that he is in the party and getting people elected it shows. Many would really choke when I suggest this, but I really do think that Jeb Bush would make a great head of the RNC or for that matter J.C. Watts.

Here's the thing. It doesn't have to be a national figure to run a party. As long as they nominate someone who is able to do the job, I don't think anyone would care what their name is.

Steele had the pedigree to be the right guy, but has failed imo to get the job done. He continually gets caught with his foot in mouth.

TSO

You can always do what a friend of mine does. He has always been a registered Democrat but after watching his party get inundated with and controlled by the far left over the last couple of decades he only votes Republican now while maintaining his Democrat registration as a protest against his own party.

Forum List

Back