So, How Come You're Still A Leftie?

I can take heat, but I'm never sure how to respond when someone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about.

Well, then, put your dinero where you put your dinner, and expain the philosophies of liberals and conservatives.

The term "Liberal" and "Conservative" and their modern meanings are very recent, and are not tied to the majority of American history. Washington would have looked at you like you had lobsters crawling out of your ears if you had asked him if he was a conservative or a liberal.

In truth, I don't understand how either side manages to pick and choose their positions. For example... what does abortion have to do with gun rights? What does taxation have to do with the environment?

I know what Conservatives and Liberals believe, but I don't really know why they believe that way.

Why can't someone be pro-life and anti-war? An environmentalist and pro-second amendment.

There's no consistent logic in either philosophy, and both are responsible for destroying America. It's time for both philosophies to step down. You don't own political thought. You can't force people to have beliefs within your artificial spectrum of approved ideas.

Thinking beyond left and right, Republican and Democrat, Liberal and Conservative... it's the only way we will ever find a solution.

I see the basis of the confusion. The themes that you mention are peripheral to the definitons of the two terms.

One is based on belief in the primacy of the Constituion, while the other sees the original Constitution as being old fashioned, and requires a 'living constitution,' which can be changed at the whim of the current government.

That is the major difference.

Beyond that, I would be happy to provide a more lengthy outline...

Well, then, put your dinero where you put your dinner, and expain the philosophies of liberals and conservatives.

The term "Liberal" and "Conservative" and their modern meanings are very recent, and are not tied to the majority of American history. Washington would have looked at you like you had lobsters crawling out of your ears if you had asked him if he was a conservative or a liberal.

In truth, I don't understand how either side manages to pick and choose their positions. For example... what does abortion have to do with gun rights? What does taxation have to do with the environment?

I know what Conservatives and Liberals believe, but I don't really know why they believe that way.

Why can't someone be pro-life and anti-war? An environmentalist and pro-second amendment.

There's no consistent logic in either philosophy, and both are responsible for destroying America. It's time for both philosophies to step down. You don't own political thought. You can't force people to have beliefs within your artificial spectrum of approved ideas.

Thinking beyond left and right, Republican and Democrat, Liberal and Conservative... it's the only way we will ever find a solution.

I see the basis of the confusion. The themes that you mention are peripheral to the definitons of the two terms.

One is based on belief in the primacy of the Constituion, while the other sees the original Constitution as being old fashioned, and requires a 'living constitution,' which can be changed at the whim of the current government.

That is the major difference.

Beyond that, I would be happy to provide a more lengthy outline...

Well if that were case, more Conservatives would be voting Libertarian.

I was being sarcastic...

"under false pretenses ..."
And those were?

"Weapons Of Mass Destruction"

And if that doesn't work for you, then try:

"Iraq is a security threat to the United States"

This didn't turn into a mission to "spread democracy" until Bush realized he'd fucked up and needed to get re-elected.

Every major intelligence agency believed that there were WMD's. Your choice is to decide where as President of the United States, he should have determined to defend the nation, or not.

You may decide that he was, ultimately, in error, as were other nations, and just about every pol in the country, or use the tried-and-true left wing propaganda bumper sticker that lives to suggest the worst of intentions to those with a 'R' next to their name.

Although scrubbed from Youtube, vids that show the Democrats all supporting the war that you claim was based on 'false pretenses' is available here:

Democrats Supported War on Iraq When It Suited Them – Video Evidence BUUUUURRRRNING HOT

The intelligence said what we wanted it to say. Either way, it's regardless of what the intelligence, other countries, or lower-level officials said or thought. If you are going to take America to war, especially a "pre-emptive war" then you had better be right or willing to face the consequences as the Commander In Chief. The stakes are high because the consequences are high. That's also why there is considerable more clout behind "POTUS" than "congressman/woman". All that ignores the fact that the Bush administration wanted this war and actively lobbied for it. I fault the Democrats for being ball-less, but this wasn't their brilliant idea.

Bush has live a life without honor. Therefore, the very concept of owning up to his massive fuck-up was beyond his comprehension.

So does that answer the question in your OP, or are you going to try and talk me out of my beliefs?

I can take heat, but I'm never sure how to respond when someone accuses me of not knowing what I'm talking about.
Son you either need to thicken your skin or flee for your life. :doubt:

I came on here for stimulating political discourse, so far I see a lot of immaturity, but no deep insight or well thought out debates on the issues.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'll leave that alone.

But get a sense of humor and prepare for mud-slinging. That's American political discourse for you.

"Weapons Of Mass Destruction"

And if that doesn't work for you, then try:

"Iraq is a security threat to the United States"

This didn't turn into a mission to "spread democracy" until Bush realized he'd fucked up and needed to get re-elected.

Every major intelligence agency believed that there were WMD's. Your choice is to decide where as President of the United States, he should have determined to defend the nation, or not.

You may decide that he was, ultimately, in error, as were other nations, and just about every pol in the country, or use the tried-and-true left wing propaganda bumper sticker that lives to suggest the worst of intentions to those with a 'R' next to their name.

Although scrubbed from Youtube, vids that show the Democrats all supporting the war that you claim was based on 'false pretenses' is available here:

Democrats Supported War on Iraq When It Suited Them – Video Evidence BUUUUURRRRNING HOT

The intelligence said what we wanted it to say. Either way, it's regardless of what the intelligence, other countries, or lower-level officials said or thought. If you are going to take America to war, especially a "pre-emptive war" then you had better be right or willing to face the consequences as the Commander In Chief. The stakes are high because the consequences are high. That's also why there is considerable more clout behind "POTUS" than "congressman/woman". All that ignores the fact that the Bush administration wanted this war and actively lobbied for it. I fault the Democrats for being ball-less, but this wasn't their brilliant idea.

Bush has live a life without honor. Therefore, the very concept of owning up to his massive fuck-up was beyond his comprehension.

So does that answer the question in your OP, or are you going to try and talk me out of my beliefs?

I merely present my perspective, and support it.

The fact that you have backed away from the pejorative 'false pretenses,' and spread the blame around, means that there is hope for you.

How can any thoughtful citizen continue to support the liberal-progressive agenda?
What aspects of a failed philosophy do you not understand?

1. Shouldn’t we expect to see the cities that have had long-term Democrat governance as being utopias?
“Why is it that every Democratic run city has the highest crime rates??
For example, Detroit, whose mayor has been indicted on felony charges, hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961. Buffalo has been even more stubborn. It started putting a Democrat in office back in 1954, and it hasn't stopped since.

Unfortunately, those two cities may be alone at the top of the poverty rate list, but they're not alone in their love for Democrats. Cincinnati, Ohio (third on the poverty rate list), hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1984. Cleveland, Ohio (fourth on the list), has been led by a Democrat since 1989. St. Louis, Missouri (sixth), hasn't had a Republican since 1949, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (eighth), since 1908, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (ninth), since 1952 and Newark, New Jersey (10th), since 1907.
Democrat run Cites lead the highest crime and murder rates

Liberal policies suck for the cities. THE WORST policy for the inner city comes from the nanny welfare states "war on drugs". Once that debacle was created all Hell broke loose.

If you want to fix the cities, eliminate taxes for new businesses, lower the minimum wage, get rid of the proggressive tax code and flatten the tax rate to a low fixed rate, eliminate the drug war, secure the border with Mexico, and create more school competition and teacher-student home-school participation.

Jobs will run back to the cities, education will improve, and the quality of life will follow.

America's liberals included:

the communists

the nazis

the Black Panthers

the anarchists

the Weather Underground

the Uni Bomber

Right... fire includes ice and 1 = -1

You can't be a Liberal and a Communist; they're mutually exclusive- you know, like being Sunni Man and being actively engaged in thought.

I merely present my perspective, and support it.

The fact that you have backed away from the pejorative 'false pretenses,' and spread the blame around, means that there is hope for you.

I didn't back away from anything. "False pretenses" is slightly more fair to Bush than "lies" which is why I use the term.

As for the rest, you asked a question about people of their personal beliefs.

The fact that you feel there is a point in arguing that or making any post beyond a simple "thanks for your perspective" shows that there is little hope for you.

What's next? Are we going to discuss religion?

PC "One is based on belief in the primacy of the Constituion, while the other sees the original Constitution as being old fashioned, and requires a 'living constitution,' which can be changed at the whim of the current government."

Having lost the premise for the OP, you move to nonsense. Liberal Republicans, in 1860, were committed to Constitution, and Lincoln and his party destroyed the conservative Democratic Party reflected in the secessionist South. The liberal Democratic Party led America to victory in World War II, the Civil Rights Campaign, the Great Society, and to most affluent middle class in the history of the world. The moderate and liberal and responsible conservative part of the GOP supported all of that.

You can have your own opinion, PC, but you may not have your own reality.

Last edited:
Why am I still a leftie?

1. Both of my Parents were married.

2. My Father served in World War II and Korea.

3. I graduated High School.

4. I serverd Six (06) Years in the United States Army (1971 - 1977).

5. I do not need to take off my socks when I count up to twenty.

6. I can and do think for myself.

7. Rush Limbaugh has a drug conviction. He had to piss in a cup during probation. He lies on a daily basis.

8. George Bush was deserter. As a vet, I tend to dislike deserters. Only thing I hate more is a Draft Dodger, like Dick Cheney.

9. I don't believe in kicking people in head, arresting reporters, outting C.I.A. Agents, or lies about W.M.D.

10. You quote Mann Coulter....a brainless twit with false boobs and no brains.

11. Bill O'Reily is a bgot. Has engaged sexual harassement of women.

12. Beck thinks god talks to him, yeah right.

13. I don't cherry pick parts of the Constitution to support and disgard the rest.

14. The Moon IS NOT MADE OF GREEN CHEESE...sorry I know you were taught different.

15. Given the choice of supporting two immoral and UN-CONSTITUTIONAL Wars or spending money to build highways, schools, and hospitals...we don't need the wars.

16. Voting for Sarah Palin is like voting the mayor of the city that was the Meth Capital of the U..S....oh yeah that WAS PALIN.

17. I do not want, need, desire, request or require any person, at any time to tell how much their version of their god loves me. Their god is in the last cubicle on the left in Sub Basment 1-A.

I do not believe in the hate of the right. I do not believe in the violence of the right.
Re: the bolded -- I see no evidence.

daveman, you live in your own delusions, so I am not concerned at all with what you say or think. Act stupidly, though, just like bigrebnc, and you will have people paying very close attention to you.

You can't be a Liberal and a Communist; they're mutually exclusive...

demhistorycopy9ti.jpg

Forum List

Back