So hours after the Amtrak crash, republicans cut the budget for it

Is that not what you wrote? Yes, it is.
Correct. Amtrak is totally dependent upon Congress for funding.

Another leftwing lie.
Why is it a lie? The amount of funds generated by the sale of tickets to passengers does not come close to providing the funds needed to operate the Amtrak system. If ticket funds were the only source of income Amtrak would shut down in days. The only way they can operate is with funds provided by the federal government through the Congress. Hence, without Congress Amtrak could not operate. Amtrak is totally dependent on funding from Congress. That is different than a comment that "total funding for Amtrak comes from Congress".

Another leftwing lie.
Why is it a lie? The amount of funds generated by the sale of tickets to passengers does not come close to providing the funds needed to operate the Amtrak system.
The point she tried to make is Amtrak gets all its money from, and thus is totally dependent on, from the government.
This is a lie, as Amtrak gets revenue from its passengers; that being the case it is only partially dependent on the government.

Another leftwing lie.
Why is it a lie? The amount of funds generated by the sale of tickets to passengers does not come close to providing the funds needed to operate the Amtrak system.
The point she tried to make is Amtrak gets all its money from, and thus is totally dependent on, from the government.
This is a lie, as Amtrak gets revenue from its passengers; that being the case it is only partially dependent on the government.
Stop making sense. You'll only confuse them.

So if you can't raise your fees without Congress' approval, and you can't get bandwidth from the FCC without Congress' intervention, and you can't buy bandwidth on the open market without Congress allocating more funds, then yes - you are totally dependent upon Congress for your funding.
False.
Amtrak charges passengers to ride on the trains.
That is a source of funding.
And it ain't cheap.
I thought 2 tickets from Seattle Wa. to Chico Ca. I bought was pretty cheap at $145. Gas alone plus one way car rental would have cost more, and I would have had to drive. This was late Feb.

So if you can't raise your fees without Congress' approval, and you can't get bandwidth from the FCC without Congress' intervention, and you can't buy bandwidth on the open market without Congress allocating more funds, then yes - you are totally dependent upon Congress for your funding.
False.
And it ain't cheap.
I thought 2 tickets from Seattle Wa. to Chico Ca. I bought was pretty cheap at $145. Gas alone plus one way car rental would have cost more, and I would have had to drive. This was late Feb.
How long did it take?

Another leftwing lie.
Why is it a lie? The amount of funds generated by the sale of tickets to passengers does not come close to providing the funds needed to operate the Amtrak system. If ticket funds were the only source of income Amtrak would shut down in days. The only way they can operate is with funds provided by the federal government through the Congress. Hence, without Congress Amtrak could not operate. Amtrak is totally dependent on funding from Congress. That is different than a comment that "total funding for Amtrak comes from Congress".
No if they kept the two profitable lines open and shut the rest down, they would not need any government funding. They choose to take funding.

False.
And it ain't cheap.
How long did it take?

$67 in gas at 30 mph and $3 a gallon for gas.

The ride is about 18 hours, compared to 10 driving.

Food on Amtrak is terrible, and very expensive.

Greyhound 16 hours, $154.

Someone brought up "bullet trains"...
At a constant 200mph, non-stop, it will take 15 hours to get from NY to LA.
You can fly in 6 hours for ~$450.
How much do you suppose the train will cost, and how much is your time worth?

Forum List

Back